Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician
    bizhub 458e - one strange scanning issue - low resolution scans no matter what

Question bizhub 458e - one strange scanning issue - low resolution scans no matter what

Hey,

Anyone else seen this issue on a bizhub 8e series (or any other for that matter)? We have a bizhub 458e under our service that spontaneously began sending all scan-to-email at a very low resolution, looks like about 200dpi. Regardless of what scan setting are used: PDF, Compact PDF, 600dpi, 400 dpi, does not matter what settings every scan has a very small file size and very low resolution image. Never seen anything like it. Firmware has been updated and reflashed, there are no user settings for this that I can find, also nothing in the DIPSW. Without a unit to point a finger at, can't figure out how this is possible!

Thanks,
    Stephen

here is a little sample (need to zoom a bit to see the issues on your screen)
    Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 5.32.23 PM.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stepwik; 07-14-2021 at 12:33 AM. Reason: add image

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

Re: bizhub 458e - one strange scanning issue - low resolution scans no matter what

what happens if you scan to SMB or a flash drive?
    maybe its not the machine at all but something to do with the email server?
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: bizhub 458e - one strange scanning issue - low resolution scans no matter what

What does quality look like if you scan off the glass not using the ADF?

Did you remove the glass and clean the optics & lens?

KONICA MINOLTA 50+ Posts Walterj's Avatar

Post Re: bizhub 458e - one strange scanning issue - low resolution scans no matter what

Quote Originally Posted by stepwik View Post
    Hey,

Anyone else seen this issue on a bizhub 8e series (or any other for that matter)? We have a bizhub 458e under our service that spontaneously began sending all scan-to-email at a very low resolution, looks like about 200dpi. Regardless of what scan setting are used: PDF, Compact PDF, 600dpi, 400 dpi, does not matter what settings every scan has a very small file size and very low resolution image. Never seen anything like it. Firmware has been updated and reflashed, there are no user settings for this that I can find, also nothing in the DIPSW. Without a unit to point a finger at, can't figure out how this is possible!

Thanks,
    Stephen

here is a little sample (need to zoom a bit to see the issues on your screen)
    Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 5.32.23 PM.jpg
    Good day
    Dear, I recommend you perform maintenance on the scanning section, perform a test by scanning by SMB.
    Then rewrite the FW to the G00-X8 version.
    Modify Sw103 to 04
    change it to the following: [Administrator Settings]> [System Settings]> [PDF Settings]> [Compact PDF Settings]> [Prioritize Quality]

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

That's some heavy compression.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    what happens if you scan to SMB or a flash drive?
    maybe its not the machine at all but something to do with the email server?
    Good point to check if there is some "post processing" performed by some fancy software.

Is it only happening in B/W scan modes?

Quote Originally Posted by Walterj View Post
    Good day
    Dear, I recommend you perform maintenance on the scanning section, perform a test by scanning by SMB.
    Modify Sw103 to 04
    change it to the following: [Administrator Settings]> [System Settings]> [PDF Settings]> [Compact PDF Settings]> [Prioritize Quality]
    What will SW103 do to the copier?
    I am always hesitant when I am told to change the SW when I cant see any documentation on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashgordon04 View Post
    What will SW103 do to the copier?
    I am always hesitant when I am told to change the SW when I cant see any documentation on it.
    Exactly.
    I would hesitate to take that advice.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Not exactly unheard.

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    Solution
    CAUSE: Insufficient scan transmission when scanning Compact PDF, Compact XPS, PPTX, DOCX and XLSX.

SOLUTION: To increase the scan transmission time, please make the following setting changes.

[CAUTION]
    1. To set the processing method to use the CPU in the same way as without the expansion memory installed when generating a Compact PDF. (bit 2)

• Software SW No.103 0x00: This setting is not applied. (default)
    • Software SW No.103 0x04: This setting is effective.

3. When set the Software SW No. 103 to 0x04, the scan transmission time of the following file types is increased.:

• Compact PDF
    • Compact XPS
    • PPTX
    • DOCX
    • XLSX

IMPORTANT: The effect of "Software SW No. 103 0x04" will be lost when the following is set to [Prioritize Speed].

Please change it to the following:
    [Administrator Settings]> [System Settings]> [PDF Settings]> [Compact PDF Settings]>[Prioritize Quality]
    Bizhub C227 "Insufficient Memory" . Error.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

still waiting on the results of scan to smb or flash drive from the OP.
    thats why i would hesitate before changing bit switches.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Walterj View Post
    Good day
    Modify Sw103 to 04
    SW103 to 04 changes the way compact pdf scans are handled above 400 dpi according to KM bulletins KBA00043153 and KBA00044453, since my issues occur also on regular PDF scans, changing DIPSW 103 is not indicated (but good to know about for future, thanks!)
    Further information - the issue can be reproduced on other machines, including an 8 series machine, and I unintentionally mischaracterized the issue by accidentally using the wrong scan - So there are two separate issues now, and both are actually user settings related, I think nothing wrong with the machine. Apologies for going the wrong direction on this. And thanks all for asking good questions that helped me get going in the right direction.

1) The original issue which I presented which is that many different KM machines appear to apply a very heavy compression to all scans, as shown in the first attachment. This makes all scans look like highly compressed jpeg photos when viewed up close, even on 600x600 setting. This is solved for color/auto color images (not the one I posted) by setting Utility > User Settings > Scan/Fax Settings > JPEG Compression Level > High Quality (images are larger but quality much improved) (Black compression level can also be set to higher quality/larger files by choosing [MH]

2) a side issue where text is not recognized as text because it is too light, where we are having some improvement by: - setting scan settings as "printed photo" - setting background removal level to "dark" (as you know two issues at the same time can make things worse...)

We will test above settings on the customer machine that originally gave the issues and report back.