Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Scan to email failure - bizhub c284

Re: Scan to email failure - bizhub c284

Quote Originally Posted by REGSIS View Post
    On gmail you must enable option to connect less secure devices.

Yes i did that and still the problem persisted.

Best regards,

Ahmed R. Chamumi.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AhmedChamumi View Post
    Yes i did that and still the problem persisted.

Best regards,

Ahmed R. Chamumi.
    The C284 will never scan via gmail it's not supported unless you install the version up firmware.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PrintWhisperer's Avatar

One possible workaround would be to scan to an SMTP relay. There are a number of free SMTP relay clients which can be installed on a local machine and set-up to only accept relay from the MFP.

It should, in turn, resend the email using appropriate TLS security from the PC.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

Not to sound like an ass but never have I seen a better time to upgrade a copier instead of putting band-aids on broken arms.
    If the customer is still using windows 95 I can see why they hesitate to upgrade but because win95 is NO LONGER SUPPORTED by the manufacturer the copier also having technology that is no longer supported its time to put it to pasture.
    Doesn't anyone sell new machines anymore?
    The xx4 non e series is dead. Stop trying to be a necromancer!! LOL
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    Not to sound like an ass but never have I seen a better time to upgrade a copier instead of putting band-aids on broken arms.
    If the customer is still using windows 95 I can see why they hesitate to upgrade but because win95 is NO LONGER SUPPORTED by the manufacturer the copier also having technology that is no longer supported its time to put it to pasture.
    Doesn't anyone sell new machines anymore?
    The xx4 non e series is dead. Stop trying to be a necromancer!! LOL
    :D Synthohol i totally get your point and you are right, there are just two reasons spurring my enthusiasm into consistently pursuing this course of action... first and foremost is this client has an oncoming business expansion that will spread across several regions and this effort is meant to showcase our commitment which might turn out beneficial in the near future race to bag the supplying deal and the managing director (client) is kind of a stuck in the mud old school (though we shall be more louder on what is doable and what's not on the next contract if it shall materialize), secondly is just a technical curiosity of experimenting with a proposed method (scanning to email indiscriminately),

The current contract doesn't hold me responsible for turning water into wine...Lol

Best regards,

Ahmed R. Chamumi.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

in the essence of experimentation sure, its fun to trick something into doing something its not supposed to do.
    hell, my web server is nothing more than an old fiery running XP hosting my website. i get it.
    i suppose its all the other negative consequences i've turned into a frankencopier by doing the 2 firmwares and bit switches but other things on the machines had weird problems afterwards so thats why im so adamant about avoiding the weird stuff that happened after doing the "upgrade trick" and it was embarrassing going back to the client and addressing the lockup issues and other issues i couldnt fix with firmware because the 2 i used couldnt be upgraded afterward to fix them.
    i will however suggest if you do choose that route to upgrade the ram to 4Gb as that seemed to help.
    my take is if the manufacturer discontinued support, why are we chasing our tails to get older equipment functioning like current machines when the lease is been up for years and now that security is much tighter and the new models support all that out of the box, its only logical to upgrade and keep with the current technology.
    experimenting with an in-house machine is one thing but having an important client depend on a machine that was "tricked" into working it just wont sit right with me and my fellow techs.
    YMMV.
    sorry if i came off entitled, that was not my intent.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thumbs up Re: Scan to email failure - bizhub c284

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    in the essence of experimentation sure, its fun to trick something into doing something its not supposed to do.
    hell, my web server is nothing more than an old fiery running XP hosting my website. i get it.
    i suppose its all the other negative consequences i've turned into a frankencopier by doing the 2 firmwares and bit switches but other things on the machines had weird problems afterwards so thats why im so adamant about avoiding the weird stuff that happened after doing the "upgrade trick" and it was embarrassing going back to the client and addressing the lockup issues and other issues i couldnt fix with firmware because the 2 i used couldnt be upgraded afterward to fix them.
    i will however suggest if you do choose that route to upgrade the ram to 4Gb as that seemed to help.
    my take is if the manufacturer discontinued support, why are we chasing our tails to get older equipment functioning like current machines when the lease is been up for years and now that security is much tighter and the new models support all that out of the box, its only logical to upgrade and keep with the current technology.
    experimenting with an in-house machine is one thing but having an important client depend on a machine that was "tricked" into working it just wont sit right with me and my fellow techs.
    YMMV.
    sorry if i came off entitled, that was not my intent.

No offence taken, on the contrary i'm more thankful to have been exposed to a different modus operandi that draws the line between concrete solutions and "may be's" and besides im all open to suggestion and guidance since our field comes with an infinite loop of learning and relearning

Thanks Synthohol for your time and sincere insight.

Best regards,

Ahmed R. Chamumi

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I have customers with old equipment. It can be a challenge to keep them functioning. As long as the customer knows you're going above and beyond to keep an old piece of equipment working. I have several older machines scanning to email using smtp2go. It works well. I tell them if they go over the free minimums they will have to pay for the service.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AhmedChamumi View Post
    Synthohol i totally get your point and you are right, there are just two reasons spurring my enthusiasm into consistently pursuing this course of action... first and foremost is this client has an oncoming business expansion that will spread across several regions and this effort is meant to showcase our commitment which might turn out beneficial in the near future race to bag the supplying deal and the managing director (client) is kind of a stuck in the mud old school (though we shall be more louder on what is doable and what's not on the next contract if it shall materialize), secondly is just a technical curiosity of experimenting with a proposed method (scanning to email indiscriminately),

The current contract doesn't hold me responsible for turning water into wine...Lol

Best regards,

Ahmed R. Chamumi.
    Always good to a keep a client like this happy it is important to hold on to 'future business'

If all they want is to scan via gmail for example then as I said before the easiest solution is to install the version up firmware & create them a gmail account.

To keep it looking professional you can use their company name in the email or scans@gmail.com for example however i'm sure that will have been taken years ago!
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Look at something like smtp2go for the smtp server instead of gmail. Will still allow you to scan to gmail addresses but no need to version up