Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Konica Minolta C284e firmware Installation problem

I have been trying to get a C284e to take new firmware, and run into problems every time. Current is G00-C8. Trying to flash GDB-M1 to solve issues with SMB1. SSD firmware is at 6.03 currently, updated from 6.02. I have tried 4 different flash drives, a 1 gb, 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb, from various manufacturers (verbatim, patriot, and Sandisk). The machine accepts 3 of these flash drives if I have the SSD update on them, but if I instead put the FW update files in the root of the drive as instructed, I get an error "this is invalid external memory". I tried then using the ISW update method, using the provided batch file to create a .tar, and running a FTP server. but I get an error "failed to get information from the Firmware Server" after the firmware file is downloaded. If I try to download and install the firmware through the web interface, the machine will download the update, show the new version as available, but when it tries to install, says "file not available on firmware server". I can verify with FileZilla that the file is indeed requested, downloaded, and that the client closed the connection after the download is complete in both cases. I tried reformatting the hard drive, and get the same issues. Does anyone here have any ideas? Any reason this machine shouldn't take the new firmware?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Konica Minolta C284e firmware Installation problem

Quote Originally Posted by danbb View Post
    I have been trying to get a C284e to take new firmware, and run into problems every time. Current is G00-C8. Trying to flash GDB-M1 to solve issues with SMB1. SSD firmware is at 6.03 currently, updated from 6.02. I have tried 4 different flash drives, a 1 gb, 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb, from various manufacturers (verbatim, patriot, and Sandisk). The machine accepts 3 of these flash drives if I have the SSD update on them, but if I instead put the FW update files in the root of the drive as instructed, I get an error "this is invalid external memory". I tried then using the ISW update method, using the provided batch file to create a .tar, and running a FTP server. but I get an error "failed to get information from the Firmware Server" after the firmware file is downloaded. If I try to download and install the firmware through the web interface, the machine will download the update, show the new version as available, but when it tries to install, says "file not available on firmware server". I can verify with FileZilla that the file is indeed requested, downloaded, and that the client closed the connection after the download is complete in both cases. I tried reformatting the hard drive, and get the same issues. Does anyone here have any ideas? Any reason this machine shouldn't take the new firmware?
    You only copy the contents of the F/W folder to flash drive not the whole folder. That is usually mistake made.

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    You only copy the contents of the F/W folder to flash drive not the whole folder. That is usually mistake made.
    Just to confirm, in my case that would be a folder called A61F0Y0-F000-GDB-M1(00), and in it it should have folders like work_fw, SataF, module, iptables, fw, bin, app, and several files, like the ramdisk, initramfs, etc.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

Just to confirm, in my case that would be a folder called A61F0Y0-F000-GDB-M1(00), and in it it should have folders like work_fw, SataF, module, iptables, fw, bin, app, and several files, like the ramdisk, initramfs, etc.
    yes, that is what goes on the root of the flash drive.

Attached Images Attached Images
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    yes, that is what goes on the root of the flash drive.

That's what I have on the root of my flash drive. Just get the "error this is invalid external memory"

and its plugged into the service port in the back right?
    ive seen similar when ssd is blanked and an incorrect machine and type are set back to ff for both.
    its something to check

the firmware you are trying to use is C224e C284e_C364e_A5C10Y0-F000-GDB-M1.exe right?

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    the firmware you are trying to use is C224e C284e_C364e_A5C10Y0-F000-GDB-M1.exe right?
    The file I was using was 224e_284e_364e_454e_554e_A61F0Y0-F000-GDB-M1.exe. I downloaded the one you linked and compared hashes, and it was different, tried it and the machine accepts it. Thanks for the help

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

The file I was using was 224e_284e_364e_454e_554e_A61F0Y0-F000-GDB-M1.exe. I downloaded the one you linked and compared hashes, and it was different, tried it and the machine accepts it. Thanks for the help
    Yup, the one you were trying to use was for the B&W models. Notice the "C" is missing from the front of each model #. Glad to know that Synthohol got you the correct link.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Request to use SMB2.0 on this product series.
    DipSW to change support SMB versions for the SMB client functions.
    DipSW No.219 (bit 2)
    Software SW No.219 0x00: SMB1.0/2.0 are available. (default)
    Software SW No.219 0x04: Only SMB2.0 is available. <----------that has to be set and ntlm set to v2 as well. its in admin, network, smb, client settings and somewhere around there.
    im better at the screen than my burnt memory cells