Technician

TONER DUCT CLEANING JIG

I just found this parts bulletin for a toner duct cleaning tool PT#A5COPJGOOO. Has anybody ordered this jig and know how to use it? Is it worth the money because it is about $50.00. I assume it is for cleaning the vent ducts on the color machines to prevent premature failure of the image units. It is bulletin # 11981

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: TONER DUCT CLEANING JIG

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hartung View Post
    I just found this parts bulletin for a toner duct cleaning tool PT#A5COPJGOOO. Has anybody ordered this jig and know how to use it? Is it worth the money because it is about $50.00. I assume it is for cleaning the vent ducts on the color machines to prevent premature failure of the image units. It is bulletin # 11981
    It's in bulletin...you use it with your vacuum cleaner in place of filter to clear toner ducts from the back.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

We got one a year or two ago and you remove the toner filter and insert the attachment. One would think that you could just slip on the hose end of your toner vac and use it but you can't because the morons that designed it decided to make the nozzle size exactly the same size as the vac hose end. WTF!? So, the only way to use it is to place the vac hose end up to the same diameter opening of the attachment and wrap tape around it. I wish these idiots designing these things would just ask a tech or at least a person with a tiny bit of common sense before they come out with a "solution".
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    We got one a year or two ago and you remove the toner filter and insert the attachment. One would think that you could just slip on the end of your toner vac and use it but you can't because the morons that designed it decided to make the nozzle size exactly the same size as the vac nozzle. WTF!? So, the only way to use it is to place the vac nozzle up to the same diameter opening of the attachment and wrap tape around it. I wish these idiots designing these things would just ask a tech or at least a person with a tiny bit of common sense before they come out with a "solution".
    Ah-h-h really. And I was feeling jealous we can't purchase it here
    I probably can make it better using old toner filter as a base.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Ah-h-h really. And I was feeling jealous we can't purchase it here
    I probably can make it better using old toner filter as a base.
    Well, that's what I thought but it's a bit difficult because of the transition from smaller rectangle of the filter housing to the round nozzle that is holding me back from fashioning my own. We just have the one between the 3 of us techs and take it on a call when needed.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    We got one a year or two ago and you remove the toner filter and insert the attachment. One would think that you could just slip on the hose end of your toner vac and use it but you can't because the morons that designed it decided to make the nozzle size exactly the same size as the vac hose end. WTF!? So, the only way to use it is to place the vac hose end up to the same diameter opening of the attachment and wrap tape around it. I wish these idiots designing these things would just ask a tech or at least a person with a tiny bit of common sense before they come out with a "solution".
    Heated the end of my one with a hot air paint stripper gun until the plastic was soft, put the end of my vac hose in and let the plastic cool down.

Perfect fit now!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts progoffice's Avatar

How well does the jig work though? Is this to help prevent the magenta and cyan DV units from dumping?

Quote Originally Posted by progoffice View Post
    How well does the jig work though? Is this to help prevent the magenta and cyan DV units from dumping?
    It provides a tight fit to the toner duct where the filter goes so you can vac out the whole system in one shot. FYI, I think it's best to at least slide the drums and dev units out a little so the openings that meet up with those components is open and will allow air to be sucked through better to clean out the ducts. Then vac out with them slid in place to finish cleaning out the ducts in the units. Either that or remove the units and vac out the ducts on each of them individually.