Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

I-Series belt cleaning units clogging up

I decided to start a thread where maybe we can keep track of this. This thread is where I first saw mention of the issue right after I had the same issue on a C550i, the first time we've come across the issue.

Well, today I had a C360i in the field for 10 months with 26K on the meter with the same issue. I spent quite a bit of time trying to find out what caused it but came up with absolutely nothing. I was able to clean all the toner out of the cleaning unit and it seems fine now but not sure why it clogged up in the first place. I thought maybe when the belt was installed at the factory that maybe the shutter didn't open like it should, causing the cleaning unit to fill up. Upon further inspection of the Waste Toner Conveyance ASSY, it had toner in the entrance shutter. If the belt shutter never opened, there would be no toner there.

Then I removed the shutter assy above the Waste Toner Conveyance ASSY and below the belt to see if it was clogged and it had toner in it but wasn't clogged. Once I opened the bottom shutter, the toner just fell out. I even disassembled the Waste Toner Conveyance ASSY to see what might be the issue with it and didn't see anything abnormal. It did have an issue with turning hard and I had to remove the drive assy and lube the second gear with a tiny bit of grease to free it up.

Post if you have had the same issue and what you find if anything.
    Last edited by srvctec; 10-08-2021 at 10:54 PM.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: I-Series belt cleaning units clogging up

I've seen this sort of issue on a wide variety of Konica Minoltas, Toshibas, & some Kyoceras. The print engine layout is pretty similar.

The event sequence that I've noticed goes something like this:

Enduser runs low percentage of color (though I've seen it on the B&W versions of the same machines).
    Normal color calibrations account for a relatively larger percentage of transfer waste at the far left side of the waste bottle.
    Waste toner full detection is right of center.
    The left side of the waste bottle fills to overfill, backing up into the spout, then the primary transfer cleaner.
    Enduser sometimes complains of a thumping or screeching sound from the finisher end of the machine or "an internal error has occurred ... " and clears by itself ... or the enduser doesn't even notice.

Here is where the sequence varies:
    Service Call

or Enduser changes the waste bottle, but the noise doesn't change, then service call.

If you get there and the waste bottle is overfull, or the waste bottle is new and overspray around the transfer waste, this fits with this scenario. If you find compressed chunks of toner, toner rocks, or hard toner coating on the inner surface of the spout, this fits with this scenario. You might also see primary transfer shift errors, crossfeed image blurrs, ripped transfer belts, registration patch and toner density patches on the prints, registration patch and toner density patch errors, spun gears (either spun on a "D" shaped shaft or broke the auger), and on Toshibas E011 paper jams (the transfer belt stops turning, stalling the paper at second transfer).

In very rare cases I've had customers mention in passing, some of these symptoms, and when they changed the waste bottle it resolved itself without service.

Does that sound like it? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

i remember there have modified waste toner bottle.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    I decided to start a thread where maybe we can keep track of this. This thread is where I first saw mention of the issue right after I had the same issue on a C550i, the first time we've come across the issue.

Well, today I had a C360i in the field for 10 months with 26K on the meter with the same issue. I spent quite a bit of time trying to find out what caused it but came up with absolutely nothing. I was able to clean all the toner out of the cleaning unit and it seems fine now but not sure why it clogged up in the first place. I thought maybe when the belt was installed at the factory that maybe the shutter didn't open like it should, causing the cleaning unit to fill up. Upon further inspection of the Waste Toner Conveyance ASSY, it had toner in the entrance shutter. If the belt shutter never opened, there would be no toner there.

Then I removed the shutter assy above the Waste Toner Conveyance ASSY and below the belt to see if it was clogged and it had toner in it but wasn't clogged. Once I opened the bottom shutter, the toner just fell out. I even disassembled the Waste Toner Conveyance ASSY to see what might be the issue with it and didn't see anything abnormal. It did have an issue with turning hard and I had to remove the drive assy and lube the second gear with a tiny bit of grease to free it up.

Post if you have had the same issue and what you find if anything.
    The waste looks totally black not the usual brown could one would expect.

What is the colour v black count ratio ?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    The waste looks totally black not the usual brown could one would expect.

What is the colour v black count ratio ?
    Sorta fits with my theory, yes?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Looking like sping with 33 coils to me from B0265 post.

A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I thought the wtb had a mixing paddle to help evenly distribute toner.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Sorta fits with my theory, yes?

Yes pretty much.

Konica do have history with developer being pulled into the waste box.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I've seen this sort of issue on a wide variety of Konica Minoltas, Toshibas, & some Kyoceras. The print engine layout is pretty similar.

The event sequence that I've noticed goes something like this:

Enduser runs low percentage of color (though I've seen it on the B&W versions of the same machines).
    Normal color calibrations account for a relatively larger percentage of transfer waste at the far left side of the waste bottle.
    Waste toner full detection is right of center.
    The left side of the waste bottle fills to overfill, backing up into the spout, then the primary transfer cleaner.
    Enduser sometimes complains of a thumping or screeching sound from the finisher end of the machine or "an internal error has occurred ... " and clears by itself ... or the enduser doesn't even notice.

Here is where the sequence varies:
    Service Call

or Enduser changes the waste bottle, but the noise doesn't change, then service call.

If you get there and the waste bottle is overfull, or the waste bottle is new and overspray around the transfer waste, this fits with this scenario. If you find compressed chunks of toner, toner rocks, or hard toner coating on the inner surface of the spout, this fits with this scenario. You might also see primary transfer shift errors, crossfeed image blurrs, ripped transfer belts, registration patch and toner density patches on the prints, registration patch and toner density patch errors, spun gears (either spun on a "D" shaped shaft or broke the auger), and on Toshibas E011 paper jams (the transfer belt stops turning, stalling the paper at second transfer).

In very rare cases I've had customers mention in passing, some of these symptoms, and when they changed the waste bottle it resolved itself without service.

Does that sound like it? =^..^=
    Your theory sounds solid except there was hardly any toner at all in the waste box or the Waste Toner Conveyance ASSY and the WTB has never been changed.

Total count was 26,750. Black was 25,238 and color is only 1,512.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

How about the environment?

Is it in a small or overly hot room? Poor ventilation?
    =^..^=