Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

224e new belt, low magenta dev?

Hello all,
    we have a customer who has refused to go on contract and said they would buy parts as they go.
    The belt in the machine reached end of life. I went in and replaced the belt; reset the counter and general clean up. Now the magenta dev is low and causing colour issues.

The customer swears that it was printing perfectly before I replaced the belt and also, like an idiot, I didn't get a test print from the machine before replacing the belt
    The customer is using katun drums (which they got and replaced themselves) in the machine and it looks to me like the charge on the drums is pulling the dev from the unit.

The dev units are in the machine from brand new 2015 and have never been changed. The magenta unit is visible low on dev and I don’t understand how the machine was printing colour perfectly last week and suddenly lost a lot of dev when a new belt was installed?

magenta.jpgtest page.jpg

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: 224e new belt, low magenta dev?

Might of knocked some toner on the magenta laser during ITBU replacement. I'd just clean it with wand

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by rrrohan View Post
    Might of knocked some toner on the magenta laser during ITBU replacement. I'd just clean it with wand

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the quick reply,
    I did clean the laser unit with the wand before testing. I've also swapped the drums around but the issue remains with magenta.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I would say that the magenta developer unit is causing this issue. It would have zero to do with the transfer belt. They are completely separate items. Cheap way to fix this: Order a bag of aftermarket magenta developer and a new chip. Dump out the old magenta developer as best as you can by turning the developer rollers by the white gears near the rear of the developer unit onto sheets of newspaper. Vacuum carefully the old developer unit. Pour in the new bag of magenta developer powder while turning the white gear and then re-chip it. Both of these items can be purchased from Copy Lite (search DV512M on their website) and I'm sure many other places as well (ebay for example, Aliexpress, etc). To keep the customer happy, I would just do the fix and eat the cost. From now on, before you begin work, a test page printed out plus one test page of each color would be wise. We lower the value from 255 to 25. This gives us a very light solid test print of each color that really shows any and all defects. My only other thought is why there is white void areas in the magenta developer unit in the first place. I am wondering if perhaps there is small bits or clumps of toner in the magenta toner cartridge and sub hopper. To be safe, I would also vacuum out the sub hopper and install a new magenta toner cartridge.