Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

It shouldn't work....but it does

How's this for weird. I recently "refurbished" a C658 to go out on rental, the customer wanted an FNS, but we didn't have an FS536, only an FS534, I thought I'd give the FS534 a go, it didn't work, it didn't even recognise it had an FNS connected, the machine has been on site for about 6 weeks, the salesman asked me to retrieve an FNS from another customer and fit it to this machine. I retrieved the FNS, thinking in it was a FS536, when in fact it was a FS534, it worked, but I didn't realise it was the wrong finisher, until I updated the FW, and got an FNS FW error code, I took the finisher PCB back to the office, put it into another FS534 on a C308 and rewrote the FW, while it was in the workshop, I thought I'd try it on the C658, it didn't work, again, it didn't recognise it had an FNS connected....I took the rewritten PCB back to the customer, expecting the FNS not to work now, as it didn't work on the FNS connected to the C658 in the workshop.....I refitted the PCB to the FS534, reconnected it to the C658.....and it worked....explain that one....
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: It shouldn't work....but it does

Nope. Can't do it.

On one new delivery we had 6 machines with finishers, some FS534, some FS536. The delivery guy saw 6 identical finishers and installed them randomly. Three worked and three didn't, I don't remember the combinations. It took a few minutes for me to remember that they weren't all the same, even though they are indistinguishable to look at. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

The FS534 will work but don't update the firmware for finisher when updating the "8" series model. If this is done the FS534 will not work anymore.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Both the FS534 and the FS536 are listed in the service manual of the C658.
    It would appear that either finisher should work for any of the models C258 through C658, including the B&W models within the same range.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    The FS534 will work but don't update the firmware for finisher when updating the "8" series model. If this is done the FS534 will not work anymore.
    I found this one out, but not all FS534s work on the C658
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    Both the FS534 and the FS536 are listed in the service manual of the C658.
    It would appear that either finisher should work for any of the models C258 through C658, including the B&W models within the same range.

They're listed in the service manual, because the service manual covers the whole range, it seems it's hit and miss whether the FS534 will work on the faster models, C458-C658....it's really weird.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

You can also run an FS536 on the i series. Just dont update the firmware or kills the board, however you can put the board into another fs536 attach it to an 8 series machine do FW and recover the board

An update to this old post...we've traded in 2 x 536 FNS, that are for the C658, so I thought I'd fit one to the C658, the machine doesn't even detect it, so I took the 2nd 536, and again, the machine doesn't recognise it, refit the 534 and it works....both 536's are working on 2 C558s...it defies all logic...