Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: I Series toner issues

Quote Originally Posted by tech51 View Post
    The box still fits but the spring stops the door opening fully so a toner build up happens at the end of the transfer belt auger.

The ones I’ve seen have this build up turn into a toner rock which ends up binding the auger and causing the gears to jump

Shortening the spring allows the door to open fully.

Not had a call back on the ones I’ve done so far.
    This.
    I have made 2 jigs from toothpicks one 52 and one 55mm and now cut this spring as routine.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tech51 View Post
    The box still fits but the spring stops the door opening fully so a toner build up happens at the end of the transfer belt auger.

The ones I’ve seen have this build up turn into a toner rock which ends up binding the auger and causing the gears to jump

Shortening the spring allows the door to open fully.

Not had a call back on the ones I’ve done so far.
    BUT, has enough time elapsed since the modifications to say it definitely fixes it? Not doubting you but we have some machines in the field for over a year and have never had the issue and others that had the cleaning unit plug up within a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    This.
    I have made 2 jigs from toothpicks one 52 and one 55mm and now cut this spring as routine.
    I have ruler in my toolbox for stuff like that.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    BUT, has enough time elapsed since the modifications to say it definitely fixes it? Not doubting you but we have some machines in the field for over a year and have never had the issue and others that had the cleaning unit plug up within a couple months.

Must be random issue I think. Same as you pull out Wtb and get message about some drum unit incorrectly placed.
    Ruler is nice but weights more
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

[QUOTE=srvctec;1995020]BUT, has enough time elapsed since the modifications to say it definitely fixes it? Not doubting you but we have some machines in the field for over a year and have never had the issue and others that had the cleaning unit plug up within a couple months.

I think at some point fairly recently a batch of these have been poorly manufactured.

I’ve only had it on machines installed in the last year or so.

Older ones don’t have the issue.

As for being called back, the last one I did was a couple of months ago and so far so good.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

I still don't see how that spring has anything to do with the issue (I could be totally wrong) because it only holds the shutter closed to prevent spills. As long as the mechanical part that shoves open the shutter/door is actually shoving it open, I fail to see how the spring comes into play. If the spring were shorter, it would just make shoving in the aux waste conveyance part, harder to shove in.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Must be random issue I think. Same as you pull out Wtb and get message about some drum unit incorrectly placed.
    Ruler is nice but weights more
    OK, now I see what my whole issue was with NOT seeing how the spring could cause an issue. I was going off this post

I-Series belt cleaning units clogging up

in the thread I started a few weeks ago, and was thinking the spring in question is an extension spring. The one in the photo in the above post is not the one in question and is an extension spring on a different shutter. Soooo, that's why I didn't see how cutting off the end of an extension spring could solve the issue.

Fast forward to today when I decided we should go modify the springs on the 3 machines we already had with the issue, and low and behold, I discover the spring in question is a compression spring. Totally different and I completely understand how that could cause an issue. We don't have any of these i-series in the shop to look at and see how it's made and I never paid attention to it when the issue happened and I dealt with it on a service call a couple times.

So, we'll be cutting the compression springs for the auxiliary waste toner box shutter on all of these i-series machines as we work on them.
    Last edited by srvctec; 12-02-2021 at 01:41 AM.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.