Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    C454e print rubbish

C454e print rubbish

I have a C454e suddenly printed 1400+ pages of rubbish/code, usually i would suspect culprit of one of the PC, but in the job log shows no User Name n filename is Printer. By the way, account track is turn on this machine.

My question is there any possibility that the printer will print rubbish/code by itself?

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-26 at 5.07.01 PM.jpg

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: C454e print rubbish

Wrong driver can cause that.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    C454e print rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by cayyell View Post
    I have a C454e suddenly printed 1400+ pages of rubbish/code, usually i would suspect culprit of one of the PC, but in the job log shows no User Name n filename is Printer. By the way, account track is turn on this machine.

My question is there any possibility that the printer will print rubbish/code by itself?

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-26 at 5.07.01 PM.jpg
    Can you print internal test pages like the config , demo & PCL/PS font lists? if you can than I would look at drivers like other poster said or corrupt print job.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

it's very unlikely that a printer starts vomiting ASCII stuff by itself

I'd also check the drivers and ports (don't use WSD) - and even with a proper configuration this might happen every now and then, usually if people try and print a webpage or an improper generated PDF file...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

someone is printing true PS to a PCL driver..In one other case, my customer was hacked over port 25 and ever machine they could reach printed garbage until it ran out of paper. College campus..Some real Einsteins even re loaded or emptied the finishers to allow the copier to resume. Ed

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    C454e print rubbish

It's most likely a PostScript error. Somebody is sending print data in a language that the printer cannot identify, so it prints out the commands exactly the way they came in.

Given the choice, I usually set machine print emulation to Auto, so the machine can accept PS or PCL equally well (again, if that's a choice).

For shorter, usually single line commands on one page, we've come across certain networks in which the main server prompts every IP on the network to perform system updates, usually around 0200 am. The printer can't make any sense of such commands, so it prints it out on a piece of paper. Any non-print data sent to the printers IP will produce this effect.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I realize there are a ton of pages, but if you can find the first page, please do so.

If it starts with a “%!Adobe” (or something like that), it’s a PostScript dump.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    C454e print rubbish

We just had this, user was "Printer" but closer to 70 2-page jobs. Shared office, best guess is someone tried using the wrong driver. Swap IP and set up whoever actually needs to use it

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Was this a one-time thing, or does it happen with any sort of frequency?

If it keeps happening, you can set up a Wireshark capture for the expected time to see where the bogus jobs are coming from.

I had this exact issue some years back with a Ricoh machine. There was a rouge server in a lab that was long forgotten about that was generating a no longer need report at preset times.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    C454e print rubbish

Wow!!! Thank for all the wonderful stories. Didn't expect to see so much wonderful/headache experiences

I am not new to this garbage/Rubbish/Code prints. Very often is due to driver issue. I had once face a Ricoh using a just downloaded PCL driver from Ricoh also printed garbage.

So far haven't seen a Konica using WSD yet. Yeah I have seen Ricoh doing shitty setup with WSD by windows itself.... (thats another whole story)

But my question here is that, even with the account track turn on, these error still manage to get thru....

the bigger problem is hard to identify print from which PC, as the office have over 20 PCs, hahaha,

Will check out that print emulation again, and i thought default should be "Auto" right?