Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

Re: Bizhub c658 K toner issues

If you pull the cart and it fells pretty empty go with dev unit. Sub hopper may be secondary issue on level.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Bizhub c658 K toner issues

Can't see how dev unit would be bad with State confirmation showing 6.65% and good print quality?

DUDE! Can't see how dev unit would be bad with State confirmation showing 6.65% and good print.

Forget the % and see what the page yield is with new btl.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Woxner View Post
    This happens when dev unit is falling. Had customers complain of toner usage. Change dev unit and it stopped.
    If the bottle seems full it could be toner and some dev. Calibration could be sucking it down. So try replacing dev unit

with a new, not used unit. to reset life count and hv settings.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woxner View Post
    This happens when dev unit is falling. Had customers complain of toner usage. Change dev unit and it stopped.
    If the bottle seems full it could be toner and some dev. Calibration could be sucking it down. So try replacing dev unit
    Does it have other symptoms together with toner hunger?
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

What is the current toner coverage percentage? These bottle ratings are based on 6% 1 sided..If you are running 11x17 1 click you can cut that in 1/2, and a rule of thumb for me (based on production machines, not in anyway saying this is fact) every 4-5% of coverage will drop the coverage by 1/2 again. A week is pretty fast to run through toner, especially at 5K/week. You might want to run a job and pull the black drum out..see if the edge delete lamp is working, or the discharge wire is doing it's job..Maybe the blade is just scraping off all the excess toner and it doesn't know any better. E

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I swapped the machine out and brought it back go the shop. The waste tank was primarily full of black. Vacuumed out the hopper and put in a new developer. The drum was recently changed out. The toner is showing 2% but the cart is still about half full so its definately running itself out even when the machine is idle. Did a manual toner add and that went normal. I'm gonna leave it idle over the weekend and see if it runs through the bottle or operates as it should. If it's still running through toner I suppose the sub hopper and high voltage board will be the next things to consider.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Machine is sucking toner into wtb. Forget about wrong toner reading this as already mentioned is secondary issue. I would put new wtb in and run a thousand test prints checking dev unit and tcr level at every 2 hundred prints. Also check if erase leds are doing their job. Let us know.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonSBE View Post
    I swapped the machine out and brought it back go the shop. The waste tank was primarily full of black. Vacuumed out the hopper and put in a new developer. The drum was recently changed out. The toner is showing 2% but the cart is still about half full so its definately running itself out even when the machine is idle. Did a manual toner add and that went normal. I'm gonna leave it idle over the weekend and see if it runs through the bottle or operates as it should. If it's still running through toner I suppose the sub hopper and high voltage board will be the next things to consider.
    When you say you put in new developer, did you replace just the dev powder with aftermarket or new OEM dev unit? If aftermarket you have to consider that being problem. Even if you have a used "OEM" dev unit to try it will take that out of the mix. First thing I always do if a new customer is using aftermarket supplies with quality issues is I tell them I have to start fresh with new "OEM" supplies. The reason 99% of my customers use OEM toner is I don't want the guess work when they call for print quality issues.

Maybe it was asked already are you using aftermarket toner?

Really strange that state confirmation is showing correct reading and print quality good with machine blowing through toner like that. To eat that much toner that fast there would have to be a thick coating on drum at some point and cleaned off with drum blade into waste box.

Think you may be on the right track with high voltage problem if nothing else corrects it. Perhaps something like HV not turning off when suppose to, etc

Thanks for keeping us posted. Since this is such an odd issue would like to hear what caused it.

Good luck

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Just out of interest Konica aren't supplying "half bottles" for this range are they?