Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    C-258, unable to load firmware...

Hey Guys, I've done the usual things, using the same USB stick I use to load all the firmware, etc.
    Unplugged the USB cable from the board and attempted to use the stick directly in the board
    Unplugged the hard drive, and also Un-Installed the hard drive. Formatted the SSD drive, reinitialized the machine

What I get is the machine either:
    *staying at two towers and never going anywhere, or
    *just rebooting into regular copy mode, and never even TRYING to load F/W

Any ideas?
    OC

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: C-258, unable to load firmware...

Are you aware of the red Stop button? I recommend that you take a glance a the "Firmware" section of the manual. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Are you aware of the red Stop button? I recommend that you take a glance a the "Firmware" section of the manual. =^..^=
    Huhh.... right I believe OC was doing mostly Toshy in the past but he should be familiar now with most KMs.
    I would try loading FW with front door open. Also 8 series there is no SSD instead they use eMMC(cheap) which may be bad. There's a way to format this also if memory serves me. I can dig it if you need.
    What's the initial problem if I may ask?
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

You know Black Cat, this is definitely not the first time you've made a snarky comment on something posted here, when people are genuinely asking for help, and I think it should be beneath you at this point in your life/career to try to put other people down. I've been doing this over 40 years and - YES - I've performed MANY F/W upgrades to MANY Konica Minolta machines. You should know, after reading my question, that this is not someone inexperienced and/or "not reading the manual", which is an insipid and useless comment/assumption. You can obviously tell from the way I worded my question that I am not a rookie, but even if I were, that's not the right way to approach someone who needs help.

Most of the answers I've read that you've posed to myself and others are WAY off base, technically, and mostly useless, intended solely to look like "the smarter one in the room". Well, you're not pal, I'm here to tell ya.

Any other useless and unhelpful comments can be directed at my avatar...oops, I don't have one.

OC

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Huhh.... right I believe OC was doing mostly Toshy in the past but he should be familiar now with most KMs.
    I would try loading FW with front door open. Also 8 series there is no SSD instead they use eMMC(cheap) which may be bad. There's a way to format this also if memory serves me. I can dig it if you need.
    What's the initial problem if I may ask?
    Thanks for the help, TSB. You're always on target with suggestions and I appreciate it.

There's no error code, the machine runs normally. It simply will stop at the first two towers and that's it. Or, just boots up to the ready screen, as if I'd never had a USB stick in it and put it in F/W mode.
    Weird.
    OC

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Not sure if it was mentioned but you leave front door open when updating F/W on the "8" series.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

You're right about one thing: I don't spend a lot of time assuming and guessing when there isn't much information to work with ... not even the firmware level. I try to follow the KISS Principal at first (keep it simple/stupid).

Since you already have so much experience, I probably won't be able to help out. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Ostercopy, I think tsbservice has it right. I've seen this (stop at 2 shark fins crash and reboot) on BH 284 and it was the SSD board.
    Net+ PDI+ @Remote

You're right about one thing: I don't spend a lot of time assuming and guessing when there isn't much information to work with ... not even the firmware level. I try to follow the KISS Principal at first (keep it simple/stupid).

Since you already have so much experience, I probably won't be able to help out. =^..^=
    Dude, there was MORE than enough information for others to help out, so what do you think the problem is? Is it your presumption that the KISS method was not used in this case? And if so, why?
    Experience doesn't always fix the machine (or the customer), but ATTITUDE does.
    OC

Quote Originally Posted by Black Cloud View Post
    Ostercopy, I think tsbservice has it right. I've seen this (stop at 2 shark fins crash and reboot) on BH 284 and it was the SSD board.
    Thanks Black Cloud... I had a feeling this was going to be the case. I just didn't want to send the machine out (I never do) with old F/W. That's the only reason I was trying to upgrade it.
    Otherwise, the machine functions fine... strange. Machine never "crashes" though, only stops at the two fins and doesn't go anywhere else. I have a spare SSD board I can try, just didn't
    want to screw something else up if I just want to try it and then remove it if it doesn't fix the problem.
    OC