Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Konica Minolta c458

Konica Minolta c458

Hi guys,

got a Konica Minolta c458 that jams on the bypass tray. Anytime we try to print/copy anything from there the up/down mechanism doesn’t seem to work properly. We have replaced the full bypass tray and still has same issue,

Does anyone have any suggestions.

machine is on the latest firmware.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Konica Minolta c458

Re: Konica Minolta c458

what jam code?
    what media type?
    what media type settings?
    paper size/orientation?
    how many sheets?

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Look at theory of operation section of manual and you should be able to see what's wrong.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

if you've replaced the bypass tray and still have the same issue, then you either have a PCRB issue or you are trying to use the bypass tray incorrectly. Most motors and sensors can be checked in service mode, and there are a couple of adjustments that need to be done as well. As posted earlier, what is the code given when you try to use the bypass tray?

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Hi guys,

got a Konica Minolta c458 that jams on the bypass tray. Anytime we try to print/copy anything from there the up/down mechanism doesn’t seem to work properly. We have replaced the full bypass tray and still has same issue,

Does anyone have any suggestions.

machine is on the latest firmware.
    You left out a LOT of pertinent info. Copy counts would be a great start, particularly from the bypass tray. What is the code? <<THAT'S probably the most important of all!!

I have a customer that has a C558 that had a C0211 code with similar symptoms and it turned out to be the feed drive assy, part # A79JR70222 (C458 has same assy). They run a ton of card stock from the bypass and I'm guessing that's what caused it to fail at around 560K. Oh and BTW, the service manual is completely wrong on the issue. I just figured it out myself.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

[ Oh and BTW, the service manual is completely wrong on the issue. I just figured it out myself.[/QUOTE]

The SM's are not usually wrong, but they are based on non real world situations..They assume the sensors always work, motors always turn, all dust/paper/paperclips have been removed, you idin't get a bad board the 1st time ect.. so swap the component or PWB..SSD is another story..

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post

The SM's are not usually wrong, but they are based on non real world situations..They assume the sensors always work, motors always turn, all dust/paper/paperclips have been removed, you idin't get a bad board the 1st time ect.. so swap the component or PWB..SSD is another story..
    Well, the service manual doesn't even mention the feed drive assy as being a possibility for the issue. My guess is they wrote the book based off the smaller segment machines because it all is the same, except the smaller machines don't have the feed drive assy- completely different design.

I figured it out by turning the bypass drive gear and it just spun freely instead of having resistance from the motor. The motor was fine but a couple bushings and the shaft completely wore out, causing the issue. In addition to this, the one way clutch on one of the gears froze solid.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Konica Minolta c458

Hello guys,

sorry to the little information I posted,

I went to the customers yesterday and the machine is experiencing C-0211 error from the bypass tray and when it doesn’t error it comes up with 1002 jam. The paper doesn’t feed at all in the bypass.

the machine has about 300k on, I replaced the stepping motor on the drive assy but not worked.

the black spindle that moves the bypass tray up/down doesn’t seem to function correctly as when I start a print it lifts up, jams then comes up with error when the plate doesn’t move back down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Hello guys,

sorry to the little information I posted,

I went to the customers yesterday and the machine is experiencing C-0211 error from the bypass tray and when it doesn’t error it comes up with 1002 jam. The paper doesn’t feed at all in the bypass.

the machine has about 300k on, I replaced the stepping motor on the drive assy but not worked.

the black spindle that moves the bypass tray up/down doesn’t seem to function correctly as when I start a print it lifts up, jams then comes up with error when the plate doesn’t move back down.
    Then, this is most likely your problem since the machine I fixed had the exact same symptoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    I have a customer that has a C558 that had a C0211 code with similar symptoms and it turned out to be the feed drive assy, part # A79JR70222 (C458 has same assy). They run a ton of card stock from the bypass and I'm guessing that's what caused it to fail at around 560K. Oh and BTW, the service manual is completely wrong on the issue. I just figured it out myself.
    If you don't want to spring for the whole paper feed assy, the parts I used to repair the one that failed (so we would have a spare replacement unit available) are:

A79J223101
    A79J226200
    A79J226301

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Konica Minolta c458

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    You left out a LOT of pertinent info. Copy counts would be a great start, particularly from the bypass tray. What is the code? <<THAT'S probably the most important of all!!

LEGEND!! Replaced the drive assy and the machine is working fine, thanks for your all your input guys!