Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Question Is Konica Minolta going out of business?

Inventory levels seem extremely low, not to mention the whole toner problem. I always hated the dealer network but their products quality made up for it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Is Konica Minolta going out of business?

Well you have the pandemic in China slowing production, chip shortage, and two fires at the KM toner plants.
    All those, plus the delays in shipping due to lack of containers are bringing inventories of not only machines, plus parts and ancillaries.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

None of this would be an issue if we made the stuff here.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mascan42 View Post
    None of this would be an issue if we made the stuff here.
    Probably but then kind of noone would buy KM because it's like 20% more expensive. We loose or can't win customers for way less price differences. Just take a look t the click price developments, sales people argue about 0,0x cent amounts like printing would be the main cost factor on the customers site. I guess the same "purchase-people" who are dumping the prices show a complete different attitude while configuring their company car (after telling their boss how totally "ace" they negotiated down the costs for the printer-contracts). I don't expect this greediness will ever go away just because of some delays or shortages.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    Probably but then kind of noone would buy KM because it's like 20% more expensive. We loose or can't win customers for way less price differences. Just take a look t the click price developments, sales people argue about 0,0x cent amounts like printing would be the main cost factor on the customers site. I guess the same "purchase-people" who are dumping the prices show a complete different attitude while configuring their company car (after telling their boss how totally "ace" they negotiated down the costs for the printer-contracts). I don't expect this greediness will ever go away just because of some delays or shortages.
    Agreed (and we could argue about the reasons for that all day) and honestly, the copiers and parts I think we could live with the longer shipping times. But the toner? If it's a choice between paying more for domestically manufactured toner, or waiting two months for their supplies, I think the customers would choose to actually have a copier that works.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Is Konica Minolta going out of business?

Quote Originally Posted by mascan42 View Post
    Agreed (and we could argue about the reasons for that all day) and honestly, the copiers and parts I think we could live with the longer shipping times. But the toner? If it's a choice between paying more for domestically manufactured toner, or waiting two months for their supplies, I think the customers would choose to actually have a copier that works.
    As I've posted on this forum before there is no excuse why K/M should of run out of toner, etc and they should suffer for it just like we have! How does the #1 or 2 copier company short the world of toner because of fires at one warehouse! Why wouldn't they have several factories / warehouses in different parts of the world! I've lost a few accounts and others tell me to never sell them a Kon/Min again. Can't say I blame them after buying a $10,000 machine and not be able to use it because of no toner.
    What hurt the most for me is not being able to get off lease machines to sell because customers can't get their new machines delivered. Also after 40+ years telling my customers NOT to use aftermarket toners I had to sell it to them because of K/M shortage!

The whole thing is a mess. I know of one Kon/Min Pro-Tech dealership that dropped Kon/Min after 30+ years and went to Canon. I'm looking into switching to Canon as well. Only thing that may stop me is I'm getting close to retiring.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    Inventory levels seem extremely low, not to mention the whole toner problem. I always hated the dealer network but their products quality made up for it.
    Never see successor models of current i series since 2019.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    As I've posted on this forum before there is no excuse why K/M should of run out of toner, etc and they should suffer for it just like we have! How does the #1 or 2 copier company short the world of toner because of fires at one warehouse! Why wouldn't they have several factories / warehouses in different parts of the world! I've lost a few accounts and others tell me to never sell them a Kon/Min again. Can't say I blame them after buying a $10,000 machine and not be able to use it because of no toner.
    What hurt the most for me is not being able to get off lease machines to sell because customers can't get their new machines delivered. Also after 40+ years telling my customers NOT to use aftermarket toners I had to sell it to them because of K/M shortage!

The whole thing is a mess. I know of one Kon/Min Pro-Tech dealership that dropped Kon/Min after 30+ years and went to Canon. I'm looking into switching to Canon as well. Only thing that may stop me is I'm getting close to retiring.
    Last I heard is K/M was reopening their toner factory in Rochester NY

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Is Konica Minolta going out of business?

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    We're a dealer and are currently selling canon just because that's what we can get our hands on, but the few we've sold to previous Kon users were disliked by the EU. I personally don't have any experience on them yet minus what we have in our parters. That being said. I don't believe Kon is going out of business anytime soon.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Canons always were crap to me. Great for graphics bad for production. They just never had the speed or reliability. I looked into xerox but never pulled the trigger.

I think Minoltas had one benefit they didnt require dealer support. Its this toner debacle thats ticking me off. If there were some decent aftermarket toner no need for minolta toner.