Konica Minolta Bizhub C227 - connection to Active Directory for user authentication

Hello everyone,

We have printer Konica Minolta Bizhub C227 with card authentication reader. Right now we are manually adding every user in the printer.

My idea is that to connect the printer to the AD and then add card scan codes to the every user in AD to make it authenticate automatically without need of manual register of every user.

Is it possible and if yes, what is the process? Or if there is an easier way, I am open for any ideas.

Thank you!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Konica Minolta Bizhub C227 - connection to Active Directory for user authenticati

Here's what you should be doing..Every AD user has attributes..one of these attributes can be the ID card number..You will need to figure out what value the reader is seeing when a badge is scanned..this can be various values from full PACS data to just the badge number alone,,this can also be in HEX, Decimal, binary ect..If the badge number is stamped on the card you give the user, you can add that number to the AD attributes..As long as the card reader reads the same value then you should be good. The next hurdle is what kind of card reader are you using..is it CCID or keyboard wedge, if it's an older AU 201H you are not going to automate the process..If it's a KBW reader then you should be able to configure the reader to output the value you need. I am referring to standard HID prox cards..If you are using higher security cards or unusual card formats you may need to get outside help. E

Re: Konica Minolta Bizhub C227 - connection to Active Directory for user authenticati

Thank you for reply! Getting the card code should be easy, I can get it from a report.

I was also wondering, if it is possible for the printer to get all the data from AD, after I connect it? As it is really time consuming for us to manually register every user into the printer.

EDIT: Our cards works with the USB card reader on a printer, so it should not be a problem

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    Konica Minolta Bizhub C227 - connection to Active Directory for user authentication

use LDAP
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JKTE View Post
    Thank you for reply! Getting the card code should be easy, I can get it from a report.

I was also wondering, if it is possible for the printer to get all the data from AD, after I connect it? As it is really time consuming for us to manually register every user into the printer.

EDIT: Our cards works with the USB card reader on a printer, so it should not be a problem
    The printer doesn't "get all the info from AD"..The printer sends a request to the AD server saying this username/password/id badge is trying to login, do you accept the request? None of this is stored on the machine..If a user logs in successfully, logs out, and you pull the network cable, that same user will not be able to log in..The only way to do something like this is to use a combo of external and local authentication, but I think this would just put you back on the path of having to register each badge again. Your user AD attributes should include email address, home folder and ID badge number, and any printer restrictions that you care to manage (no color ie). AD attributes can also include other items like dept, fax number ect, but these are not used by the MFP. To your point about the cards working already..that's great, but unless you know what the output of each swipe is you may have a hard time getting AD to recognize it..If you have a reader setup for KBW mode and it's reading full pacs data in binary, your card output may look like "110110010100010010111100101001001". This is probably not what you want to put into AD..If you have the AU205 you can plug it into your laptop, swipe a card, see what the output is and modify the reader as necessary to match what you put into AD..E