Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Can the bizhub 4020 driver bein used for a Lexmark MX511de?

Guys I am servicing a Lexmark MX511de which is the same machine as our BH-4020.
    I would like to know which driver is advisable for the MX511de for W10/64. I prefer NOT to use an universal driver.

Though I cannot imagine that drivers are different between Lexmark and KonicaMinolta for basically exactly the same hardware, am I hesitating to use the drivers from KonicaMinota blindly because this Lexmark is in a very critical medical environment where I can not risk any issues.

Any experience?

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Re: Can the bizhub 4020 driver bein used for a Lexmark MX511de?

Don't really know the answer to your question. Maybe I'm missing something here, but is there some reason you don't just use the proper Lexmark drivers? There are non-universal drivers available for that model.

Drivers: Drivers & downloads
    The Standard (non-universal) drivers can be found on the third page. They are a a few years old, but are still listed as Windows 10 compatible.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    Don't really know the answer to your question. Maybe I'm missing something here, but is there some reason you don't just use the proper Lexmark drivers? There are non-universal drivers available for that model.

Drivers: Drivers & downloads
    The Standard (non-universal) drivers can be found on the third page. They are a a few years old, but are still listed as Windows 10 compatible.

i can only agree with femaster, why bother with other drivers when you can get the official one?

Thanks, I have no opportunity to test them first. It's a one shot occasion and since I do not know them I would like to know which one has the best functionality. By KonicaMinolta I know exactly which way to go.

Lexmark offers .exe driver stuff such as "Installation Packages" and "PCL_XL Emulation"
    I do not like .exes to install a driver. I want to install by hand myself an inf.
    Why? Because I am coming from the hardware side of things having no good IT-Background and manage to do the IT stuff mainly only by learning by doing. KonicaMinolta has for this machine many more drivers and of a much newer date, good old .inf drivers from the kind I know well. PCL6, PS, you name it. At Lexmark I found only those .exe thingies.....

This is an extremely critical customer. No time for testing, it has to work immediately. If it fails, loads of patients coming from very far are standing there around without being helped. Weird situation, but it is as it is. This is the machine with 3 extra cassettes mentioned in previous posts.

I installed the Lexmark MX510 PCL_XL driver on one of my computers, just for giggles, but it looks totally different than those from KonicaMinolta so, I would never be sure what exactly I'm doing. If I had a Lexmark here in my office, it would be easy and I could test everything over and over again until my hands start bleeding, but I have no Lexmark M511de yet, unfortunately.

Hans
    Last edited by Hansoon; 06-28-2022 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Thanks, I have no opportunity to test them first. It's a one shot occasion and since I do not know them I would like to know which one has the best functionality. By KonicaMinolta I know exactly which way to go.

Lexmark offers .exe driver stuff such as "Installation Packages" and "PCL_XL Emulation"
    I do not like .exes to install a driver. I want to install by hand myself an inf.
    Why? Because I am coming from the hardware side of things having no good IT-Background and manage to do the IT stuff mainly only by learning by doing. KonicaMinolta has for this machine many more drivers and of a much newer date, good old .inf drivers from the kind I know well. PCL6, PS, you name it. At Lexmark I found only those .exe thingies.....

This is an extremely critical customer. No time for testing, it has to work immediately. If it fails, loads of patients coming from very far are standing there around without being helped. Weird situation, but it is as it is. This is the machine with 3 extra cassettes mentioned in previous posts.

I installed the Lexmark MX510 PCL_XL driver on one of my computers, just for giggles, but it looks totally different than those from KonicaMinolta so, I would never be sure what exactly I'm doing. If I had a Lexmark here in my office, it would be easy and I could test everything over and over again until my hands start bleeding, but I have no Lexmark M511de yet, unfortunately.

Hans
    You could go the route and use a KM driver for basically the same System, no gurantee that this works without issues tho.
    In my opinion it would be smarter to just hangle through the lexmark setup, i did those 2 or 3 times so far and it is not that hard. Drivers after all are also for Home users use

Thanks techsxge. I'm not afraid at all to try around and do experiments. The opposite, this digging around for solutions and testing equipment, drivers whatsoever, is what makes the fun out in the job for me.

BUT......... this is a specialized medical practice where patients are coming from all around the country and even from outside foreign countries. They are relying on their services. If this machine drops out, procedures and treatment cannot be fulfilled. I know that the owner was ill-advised buying this particular one piece of equipment only and we will try to correct this very unsatisfying situation in the near future but for the moment we have to live with it. I still do not know from them which dedicated medical software they are using and therefore also do not know how much that software is depending on certain drivers. I have to be very careful here.

Danke für deine Unterstützung techsxge!

Hans

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

If it's that freaking critical, why is this even a question..Let's say you get the machine to print a page using the KM driver, how are you going to tell the driver it has 3 trays? The new KM drivers have security features that will only work when the driver, firmware and machine matches. I just don't get the numerous questions that deal with trying to make non KM items work in KM machines and vice versa. I know all about lack of support and parts ect..E

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Thanks techsxge. I'm not afraid at all to try around and do experiments. The opposite, this digging around for solutions and testing equipment, drivers whatsoever, is what makes the fun out in the job for me.

BUT......... this is a specialized medical practice where patients are coming from all around the country and even from outside foreign countries. They are relying on their services. If this machine drops out, procedures and treatment cannot be fulfilled. I know that the owner was ill-advised buying this particular one piece of equipment only and we will try to correct this very unsatisfying situation in the near future but for the moment we have to live with it. I still do not know from them which dedicated medical software they are using and therefore also do not know how much that software is depending on certain drivers. I have to be very careful here.

Danke für deine Unterstützung techsxge!

Hans
    If you have too many issues working with a Lexmark driver, then there are 2 options:
    1. You're missing the right training to install a DRIVER
    2. You should get someone else who is able to install a Driver.

I've just grabbed a Lexmark from our Storage and tried to install it using the non generic driver. Works like a Charm.
    The issue emujo2 mentioned actually applys here. I cant get the machine working from any tray except Tray 1 when using the proper KM Driver.
    So this can definitely be a Problem for you either way.

I offer you my help outside of usual Business Hours in Germany (8:00am - 17:00pm)
    Just send me a Mail at info@sxge.tech

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

One thing I have noticed with these re-badged KM Lexmarks is the drivers from KM will often fail to install, claiming "model not supported". Also, the wrong drivers will cause issues, usually locking the machine up requiring a reboot.
    But, if you use the add a printer route, they install without issue and give you full control over the device. Example below is from a 4750:

Attached Files Attached Files
    Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    If it's that freaking critical, why is this even a question..Let's say you get the machine to print a page using the KM driver, how are you going to tell the driver it has 3 trays? The new KM drivers have security features that will only work when the driver, firmware and machine matches. I just don't get the numerous questions that deal with trying to make non KM items work in KM machines and vice versa. I know all about lack of support and parts ect..E
    You'll find that the secure features like Private Print, Job Accounts, and Private Boxes will not work with the off-branded driver. You're just asking for issues.

Don't risk it. Install the Lexmark drivers. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=