Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician
    KM BH C308 freezes in "two towers and dot" state while attempt to do FW Update.

Hello everyone, I'm having a problem while trying to update a C308 machine.

It keeps stuck in the "Two towers with a dot". Nothing more happens.
    Leaved in that state for about 30 minutes each try, and they go nowhere.
    The only way to leave that state is to turn off the main switch.
    The machine boots normally if only turn it on.

These steps have already been done:

1. USB Allowed to do Firmwares updates (Admin menu, sec, usb drive permissions);
    2. All settings cleared on the machine;
    3. USB Recognizes the drive in normal bootup state (ext drive). They are an 8GB Sandisk (4 different drives tested), and 4GB Kingston (2 drives tested);
    4. All drives are formatted with rufus and hp utility, both fast and normal mode after each try.
    5. All normal steps to do a fw upgrade are done correctly.
      • Drive connected while machine is off, door open, stop button pressed until two towers and a dot appears, stop button released, front door closed.
      • Tried to leave the door open too, nothing changes.

I am really stuck on this, and I don't have another machine to do more tests.
    Any thoughts? I'm forgetting to do something else?

Thanks in advance.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Re: KM BH C308 freezes in "two towers and dot" state while attempt to do FW Update.

One thought that comes to mind. Are the firmware files still inside the FW0002 folder? Unlike older machines, the folder is placed on the root of the drive, not just the firmware files.

I'm going to assume the following doesn't apply to your issue because you aren't seeing any messages on the screen, but maybe check these couple things that are noted in the service manual just in case.
    ▪ When [Administrator Settings] -> [Security Settings] -> [USB Connection Permission setting] -> [External Memory (Service)] -> [FW Update] is set to "Restrict", a message "It is limited by the administrator." will appear, and update of the firmware cannot be executed.
    ▪ When [Administrator Settings] -> [Security Settings] -> [FW Update (USB) Perm. Sett.] is set to "Password Priority", it requires to input a password after confirming with the administrator.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Technician

Re: KM BH C308 freezes in "two towers and dot" state while attempt to do FW Update.

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    One thought that comes to mind. Are the firmware files still inside the FW0002 folder? Unlike older machines, the folder is placed on the root of the drive, not just the firmware files.

I'm going to assume the following doesn't apply to your issue because you aren't seeing any messages on the screen, but maybe check these couple things that are noted in the service manual just in case.
    ▪ When [Administrator Settings] -> [Security Settings] -> [USB Connection Permission setting] -> [External Memory (Service)] -> [FW Update] is set to "Restrict", a message "It is limited by the administrator." will appear, and update of the firmware cannot be executed.
    ▪ When [Administrator Settings] -> [Security Settings] -> [FW Update (USB) Perm. Sett.] is set to "Password Priority", it requires to input a password after confirming with the administrator.
    Thanks.
    Yes, the folder FW0002 is in the root of the drive.
    But now I noted that both the options [USB Connection Permission setting] and [FW Update (USB) Perm. Sett.] under [Administrator Settings] -> [Security Settings] does not show in this machine.
    Is that posible?!

These are the actual firmwares installed.

Captura de pantalla 2022-06-29 152121.jpg

Thank you for your time.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Why do you attempted FW update?
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Why do you attempted FW update?
    It started to have C-D011 errors once in a while, now this is happening almost every day.
    I'm considering replacing this HDD with an SSD with the same size (I can't find 240GB HDDs anymore).

Do you have another option to get rid of that?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

I would do HDD format logical.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by feracampos View Post
    It started to have C-D011 errors once in a while, now this is happening almost every day.
    I'm considering replacing this HDD with an SSD with the same size (I can't find 240GB HDDs anymore).

first, its a 320G hdd and dont try an SSD, thats a waste of time and money.
    the copier puts like 7 partitions on the drive and partitioning an SSD is, well just stupid if it even works at all.
    the copiers OS was never meant for solid state drives.
    the i series is different.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    I would do HDD format logical.
    That was my first option.

Done logical, still happening.
    Done physical, still happening.

Now I'm stuck with the firmware option.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by feracampos View Post

Why does it sound so much like this?
    Bizhub C308 C368 error code C-D011

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    Why does it sound so much like this?
    Bizhub C308 C368 error code C-D011

Because it is. The last post on that is mine, when I have "done it" with logical format. Oh boy, I was wrong.
    Now I'm trying to do the SATA FW upgrade, but unsuccessfully.
    So, I tried to do a full fw upgrade to the G00-X4, and still having the same issue with the two towers and dot freeze point.

Now I'm digging into the HDD problem.
    I believe that fault on the boot process have something to do.
    The system actually cannot mount the HDD anymore, so the user and fax function keeps on "configuring" and after a while the C-D011 error pop out.