Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Multiple Konica randomly printing jibbersih

About 6 months ago, we got a call about a small Konica 4420 printing hundreds of pages of gibberish. Printed until it ran out of paper. This would continue to happen once every few weeks or so. Did the typical update print driver, firmware and even changed the ip address. Still happening.

Few weeks later, another customer calls in on a C308 doing the same thing. We did the updates there as well as the ip address. Still happening.

Few weeks later another machine started doing this. This time a C659.

All three continue to do this randomly every few weeks.

Today I get a call from another customer, this time it is a c250i.

Now I am getting a little perplexed. I have yet to see the job in a job log as the customers do not report the issue right away. I did enable the job logging on the C659 and will go in the morning to try and retrieve the log. It happened one day last week and they called about it this afternoon. Anybody else experiencing this recently?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Multiple Konica randomly printing jibbersih

Surely some kind of data is reaching the printer's IP. It's hard to say what sort of data, because non-print data will not be logged (no job name).

I suppose one way around it is to set up job accounting, "Do not Print" for jobs without authentication. All you really need is one job account code, enabled on all drivers and the machine.

Whatever data arrives at the machine will be ignored, regardless of the source. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Re: Несколько Konica, случайно печатая jibbersih

Such cases were associated with a virus on network computers

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

I would start turning off all unused network protocols - IPV6, IPP, FTP, etc.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHM View Post
    About 6 months ago, we got a call about a small Konica 4420 printing hundreds of pages of gibberish. Printed until it ran out of paper. This would continue to happen once every few weeks or so. Did the typical update print driver, firmware and even changed the ip address. Still happening.

Few weeks later, another customer calls in on a C308 doing the same thing. We did the updates there as well as the ip address. Still happening.

Few weeks later another machine started doing this. This time a C659.

All three continue to do this randomly every few weeks.

Today I get a call from another customer, this time it is a c250i.

Now I am getting a little perplexed. I have yet to see the job in a job log as the customers do not report the issue right away. I did enable the job logging on the C659 and will go in the morning to try and retrieve the log. It happened one day last week and they called about it this afternoon. Anybody else experiencing this recently?
    most likely someone adding new printer in their pc, but use wrong driver.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts mloudy's Avatar

We had libraries in two different counties where their machines would do this. Mutliple models and mutiple locations. Their networks were wide open to the world. From our office we could actually open a browser and hit the web pages of the copiers/printers.

Russian hackers While we and their IT researched this we both found the same information on the internet that Russian hackers would remotely send print jobs of gibberish until the paper trays emptied. One library locked their network down while the other is still wide open.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Post a pic of the "jibberish"..Sometimes what you are seeing is what the PCL driver is interpreting from a true PS print stream. I would ask if they have any mainframe printing going on, crystal reports, any designers that might be sending something that the printer cannot understand. Usually this is a couple of rows of wing dings, followed by a mostly blank page and may be a row or 2 of the same wingdings at the bottom. E

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

try to change dimm memory if you can. for me is problem with dimm memory. dimm can be inside the board and is not changeable

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zoool View Post
    try to change dimm memory if you can. for me is problem with dimm memory. dimm can be inside the board and is not changeable
    Those are multiple and different models at different clients and network environments.
    I have hard time imaging that's memory issue. Not saying anything is impossible just unlikely.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.