Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Bizhub C454e with K Imaging issues

Re: Bizhub C454e with K Imaging issues

How is the hopper working? I stupidly forgot to plug in the K motor after replacing a fan and within 2 days got a call for 2557, TCR 0.00. Plugged the motor back in and manual add toner, brought it up to normal.
    The front board is detecting TCR, proven by the replacement dev (although it was abnormally high) and you already ruled out the HV

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Wasn't the transfer belt. Wasn't the MFP board. Already tried replacing the sub-hopper. I'm just about out of ideas at this point. Don't really feel like I'm troubleshooting, just throwing parts at the problem. Not a fan of that philosophy.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JasonSBE View Post
    Wasn't the transfer belt. Wasn't the MFP board. Already tried replacing the sub-hopper. I'm just about out of ideas at this point. Don't really feel like I'm troubleshooting, just throwing parts at the problem. Not a fan of that philosophy.
    Have you cleaned the machine out of toner and tried a different toner bottle?
    Check if the image is fine on the transfer belt when interrupting the print process. Usually about half a second after you hear the machine taking out paper from tray you just open front lid or side lid and then take out transfer belt. Given that you already changed the transfer belt, it could be the transfer roll or the fusing unit.

Could we maybe get a picture of the printed image?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by techsxge View Post
    Have you cleaned the machine out of toner and tried a different toner bottle?
    Check if the image is fine on the transfer belt when interrupting the print process. Usually about half a second after you hear the machine taking out paper from tray you just open front lid or side lid and then take out transfer belt. Given that you already changed the transfer belt, it could be the transfer roll or the fusing unit.
    Don't think so, if its only affecting K and the TCR is all out of whack I can't see it being anything belt or after. With imaging; Toner, Hopper/Motor, Dev, Drum. You ruled all 4 of those out. With electrical Dev, FRB, Printer Control Board, harness between them.
    TCR Sensor K is CN13 on the FRB, but doesn't have a specific out to the PRCB. CN3 does include DV_K_Detect which goes to CN9 on the PRCB.

I would say PRCB, but 1) you already tried it and 2) it doesn't seem like a detection issue. That does leave imaging. As @techsxge mentioned it could also be unrelated to the developer being refilled. PH, hvb.

You've hit literally all of these marks short of specifically saying whether or not you stabngrad or checked the IDC sensors, and you mentioned toner was OEM.

I'm stumped.....

A scan of Demo page and CMYK halftones at 111 and 255 might shed some light, but I think you explained it well enough.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonSBE View Post
    Absolutely. You've changed everything but pulling the trigger until you run out of bullets isn't really good troubleshooting. Like tmmdmmm said we're stumped but nevertheless never give up.
    At this point I would distance from throwing parts into machine and start from the beginning - theory of operation is good starting point. I'm positive you will resolve it
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tmmdmmm View Post
    Don't think so, if its only affecting K and the TCR is all out of whack I can't see it being anything belt or after. With imaging; Toner, Hopper/Motor, Dev, Drum. You ruled all 4 of those out. With electrical Dev, FRB, Printer Control Board, harness between them.
    TCR Sensor K is CN13 on the FRB, but doesn't have a specific out to the PRCB. CN3 does include DV_K_Detect which goes to CN9 on the PRCB.

I would say PRCB, but 1) you already tried it and 2) it doesn't seem like a detection issue. That does leave imaging. As @techsxge mentioned it could also be unrelated to the developer being refilled. PH, hvb.

You've hit literally all of these marks short of specifically saying whether or not you stabngrad or checked the IDC sensors, and you mentioned toner was OEM.

I'm stumped.....

A scan of Demo page and CMYK halftones at 111 and 255 might shed some light, but I think you explained it well enough.

I know that it most likely wont be anything after the transfer belt. I just want to realy make sure that there is nothing behind it causing issues that is why i usually do this step with interrupting the print if the problem is not clearly visible on the drum or dev. This way i can be rule out transfer belt and everything after it within 30 seconds i get to a new machine.
    Different Halftone Patterns at low and high density might also help.

Can someone maybe PM me the Service Manual for the machine?
    I am currently on Vacation and have not uploaded Service Manuals to my Cloud yet

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Please, for better understanding can you upload MML and halftones at 30 and 255 plus bird page?
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

this may not explain the TCR level, but have you checked that the KDV unit is turning, i've had the drive gear fail on the main drive unit often - resulting in no K print on the page
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I have seen that problem in a 654e B/W, it marked 0.00 in TCR and ejected the developer, changing the development unit for a completely new one solved the problem, the TCR controller board was from another printer? the old controller board works fine in another printer? Is there developer in the waste toner bottle?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

So I managed to get a healthy bizhub C454 that I can use to test against the one that is giving me problems. I took the brand new developing unit out of the problematic machine and put it in the known good machine. Before I swapped the units, I checked level 1 history on the problematic machine, this is what I found...
    20220718_101858_resized.jpg

The TCR Level for K was showing 7.71%, but the image was so light that it was presenting as if there was little to no toner in the developer.

The good machine was showing the following...

20220718_101833_resized.jpg

K Density at 5.8%. Image quality was as expected.

After swapping the developers, the known good machine showed a TCR density of 0.00%. I ran the manual toner add routine a couple of times and the density got up to an acceptable level. Print quality was good.

The problematic machine showed the TCR density up over 19%

20220718_102410_resized.jpg

All of the warnings for the stabilizer failing and for the IDC sensors went away. However, the machine will code out due to abnormally high density and will not add toner so the issue will not be resolved. I don't know what other components could be causing the machine to read such a faulty TCR density level. I put in a ticket with Konica and covered all the parts that have been replaced and all the troubleshooting that has been done. All they could come with was to replace some of the connectors on the HV board(Specifically the HV and DV contacts).