Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

A Question about developer and my observations

We've been printing a lot on the 1051 but I have seen an increase in toner usage. More than usual. This morning, I checked counts and noted developer is at 971,000 out of 1,000,000. I know many printers that try to beat all they can out of developer but I'm just not one of them. I remember some time ago, while it was still under service, we started getting a gritty dusting on the sheets. Developer was at 950,000 plus. After further study, we realized it was, indeed, developer beginning to dump. It was changed and grit went away. I guess I've never took note of increased toner usage but recovery box was changed Monday and it is already a tad less than half full. I am wondering if it is anyone else's experience that developer going bad can cause excess toner usage?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: A Question about developer and my observations

If you are getting H toner then this is the issue..The majority of my 1100, 1052 and 61XX are only getting 1/3 to 1/2 of the copy volume prior to this crappy H toner..In many shops I am replacing developer at 25K (in many cases this is daily). E

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    If you are getting H toner then this is the issue..The majority of my 1100, 1052 and 61XX are only getting 1/3 to 1/2 of the copy volume prior to this crappy H toner..In many shops I am replacing developer at 25K (in many cases this is daily). E
    Nothing wrong but I'm wondering where is near 1 million compared to 25k
    Some of our office machines(20-40ppm speed) are nearing 500-600k developer life working with mostly H toner last year.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Technician

I apologize but what does H toner mean?

The toner available since the KM Plant fire..

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Nothing wrong but I'm wondering where is near 1 million compared to 25k
    Some of our office machines(20-40ppm speed) are nearing 500-600k developer life working with mostly H toner last year.
    H toner for the office machines just meant 1/2 bottles..For production equipment the H was a different toner. It runs, but the quality is not there..I don't think the H toner had the same affect on the color production machines.

Technician

So you're saying the toner that is in the pipeline now isn't 119,000 sheets yield at 5%? $179.00 a bottle???? Machine just stopped printing, telling me to exchange toner recovery bottle. It was full! I checked it this morning and it was a tad under half. I changed it Monday. No way I've run anywhere near 357,000 sheets since Monday. Not even a third of that. But I just put my 4th and last bottle in this morning. I'm coming up with 42,000 11 x 17 copies, mostly type, since Friday. 3 bottles of toner?? Wow. Def something wrong here.

Yes..if it's H toner we are seeing massive drops in impressions per bottle. I have a few machines it does not seem to affect, but anyone with graphics or a high %...it's really bad. Again this only seems to affect the B&W production TN 014, 015, 016, 017..All of this toner is exactly the same, just different bottles. E

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

Its not just developer is high that can cause toner issues what is drum volume. This can also cause high toner useage. 25k is a bit much to be doing. 500k would be ok. Are you running the dev adjustments?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Woxner View Post
    Its not just developer is high that can cause toner issues what is drum volume. This can also cause high toner useage. 25k is a bit much to be doing. 500k would be ok. Are you running the dev adjustments?
    I'm not really sure what this statement means. We regularly get 900K+ out of developer with no issues. Drum is 544,000 out of 1,000,000. I usually change drums around 750k. Very few last to 1,000,000. This is a new issue to us. Never seen toner consumption like this before. I found a pre fire bottle of TN011. We're going to see how long that one lasts. I run drum and developer adjustments when I install. Never had to do either in mid flight except an occasional drum sensitivity adjustment.