Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: C308 SSD Board Replacement / Availability

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    Just to update, after a lot of time in contact with KM's support center, they finally agreed with me that the eMMC board was the problem in this machine. They added a notation to the support request which allowed me to proceed with the order. The eMMC board has to be ordered through KM's warranty page, and can't be ordered directly through the regular parts/supplies ordering interface. You are also required to have an open call with the support center, as you have to enter the support request number into the form when requesting the part.

Our office has learned a few things through the process of troubleshooting this machine. Just to refresh memories, we had done a lot of parts swapping between the non-booting C308, and a working C308 we had in the office to try and narrow down the bad part. During this process things like eMMc boards and EEPROMS were swapped back and forth between the 2 machines. Neither machine was ever actually booted into the standard copier screens while the parts from the other were installed. All that was ever done was to boot into diagnostic mode (by holding down the power button), since we couldn't even do that on the dead machine. This was done in the hopes that data on the different eMMC and EEPROM chips wouldn't be cross-contaminated with information from the other machine.

In the end, it was determined that the eMMC board was the issue. The board was ordered and installed. Board replacement requires the firmware to be installed immediately after installation. Support confirmed that the boards come blank, with literally nothing on them. This makes me question why they must be be bought through KM for such a high price, but that's a story for another time. Firmware installed, typical reboot process, then error code, then recover data.

One unfortunate lesson learned here. Even when booting into just diagnostic mode, the system must still do some data verification checks and updates. Once the dead machine was back up and running, despite having it's original EEPROMs, the machine had inherited the serial number and meters from our good C308. Nothing had changed with the good C308, so I can only assume that the data stored on the good C308's eMMC board was pushed into some other storage area on the dead machine's MFPB. I conclude this because the EEPROMS from the dead machine were never installed at the same time as the good C308's eMMC board, so there was no way for the dead C308's EEPROMS to have been cross-contaminated with data from the good C308's eMMC board.

The serial number was updated to what it was supposed to be, but the meters are what the meters are, no way to change those. Live and learn I guess, and maybe this will help someone else out in the future.
    machine data on the 8 series mfps. is stored in at least 3 locations the emmc the flash roms on the mfp/driver board combo(once in each section) and counter/life on the removable roms. if 2 of the datasets do not match from what I've experienced you get a blank machine. in this case toner, drum and developer counts are messed up. Toner control and image quality are gone, may even empty developer units during startup. I have found that if life counts are wrong by more than 30% trouble of some sort will rear its head. Also in play is the identity board(service rom)here is the sn and licenses for the unit.

There is no documentation i can find on this. all info above is from learning the hard way.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    C308 SSD Board Replacement / Availability

Quote Originally Posted by Albonline View Post
    machine data on the 8 series mfps. is stored in at least 3 locations the emmc the flash roms on the mfp/driver board combo(once in each section) and counter/life on the removable roms. if 2 of the datasets do not match from what I've experienced you get a blank machine. in this case toner, drum and developer counts are messed up. Toner control and image quality are gone, may even empty developer units during startup. I have found that if life counts are wrong by more than 30% trouble of some sort will rear its head. Also in play is the identity board(service rom)here is the sn and licenses for the unit.

There is no documentation i can find on this. all info above is from learning the hard way.
    Would you have to set up the machine as though you just took it out of the box?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adecanmin View Post
    Would you have to set up the machine as though you just took it out of the box?
    yes ,and monitor the toner density for a few hundred prints, followed by a full gradation adjustment.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albonline View Post

I'm sure this is what happened. The original eMMC board was dead, so with the new board being blank, there was no data there to be pulled. The EEPROM chips were never combined with the eMMC board from the other machine, so that data would have still been correct. During the testing of the MFPB with other machines eMMC (and EEPROMs), even in diagnostic mode it must have transferred the incorrect data to an alternate location on the original MFPB, or some other "secret" location KM doesn't want anybody to know about. Once the eMMC board was operational by installing the firmware, it must have pulled the data from that "secret" location instead of the EEPROM chips. Had it pulled from the EEPROMs, the serial and meters would have been correct.

We did experience the expected "License Management Error" as well because of the incorrect serial number. Entering the correct serial number did not resolve this issue. Since there isn't any type of security or encryption, etc. on the machine in question, resolving the error was as simple as temporarily enter a matching serial number and unlock code set. This has been discussed many times in the past in older forum posts. There have been valid serial / unlock code sets shared. I can confirm that this little hack still works on the 8-series machines.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Thumbs up Re: C308 SSD Board Replacement / Availability

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    This document helped me a bunch and touch wood I have not bricked a machine yet.
    Case 4 states the counter data will move from the spares machine to your current machine.
    I have done this before. The EEPROM holds the engine data so don't move that. Else replace or move all parts from spares machine.
    Or I will just replace all the ICP'c on the units in that case.
    Board replacement cases.pdf - Google Drive
    Excelente ajuda. Agradeço muito.

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    I'm sure this is what happened. The original eMMC board was dead, so with the new board being blank, there was no data there to be pulled. The EEPROM chips were never combined with the eMMC board from the other machine, so that data would have still been correct. During the testing of the MFPB with other machines eMMC (and EEPROMs), even in diagnostic mode it must have transferred the incorrect data to an alternate location on the original MFPB, or some other "secret" location KM doesn't want anybody to know about. Once the eMMC board was operational by installing the firmware, it must have pulled the data from that "secret" location instead of the EEPROM chips. Had it pulled from the EEPROMs, the serial and meters would have been correct.

We did experience the expected "License Management Error" as well because of the incorrect serial number. Entering the correct serial number did not resolve this issue. Since there isn't any type of security or encryption, etc. on the machine in question, resolving the error was as simple as temporarily enter a matching serial number and unlock code set. This has been discussed many times in the past in older forum posts. There have been valid serial / unlock code sets shared. I can confirm that this little hack still works on the 8-series machines.
    LOL thanks for sharing that. Never bothered to change the code generator they are using for ages now.

So you have cloned a machine?? Same serial and same meters now on your fixed and parts machine?
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    So you have cloned a machine?? Same serial and same meters now on your fixed and parts machine?
    So to speak, yes. It was accidental in nature, but our fixed machine ended up with the meters and serial number from the machine that temporarily donated it's eMMC board for testing. I don't know for sure what else was pulled with that, but I know the meters and serial numbers (all of them, ADF, Printer, etc.) were for sure. In the end we corrected the serial numbers, and went through the whole machine as if it was a new setup since all the programming was lost. There is no way to change the meters back to what they should be, so it went back to the customer with a lower total meter, and a much higher color meter unfortunately. They are a leased maintenance customer, so meters don't mean much except for billing purposes. We just adjusted the meters in our system so the customer will never know the difference anyway.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Then if you could buy the eMMC's you could reset or rather copy a younger machines data like some of the previous models. Wonder if that is the reason you can't order them without a support ticket.
    Guess there is a hardware fuse of sorts on the eMMC somewhere.
    Whatever

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

I'm sorry for jumping on femaster's thread but have question for experts here.
    We have one C258 machine with bad MFPB. The question is can we get MFPB plus EEPROMs and eMMC from working C308 machine and put all of them into C258?
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    C308 SSD Board Replacement / Availability

We do not want any disadvantages due to the contents of this posting.
    Moving a working C308 print board and accessory board to a bad C258 machine.
    Error code C-C164 occurs.
    It also happens when I run the firmware.
    If you buy and install a new SSD: Set it up in the copier and install the firmware.
    When installing the used SSD in another copier: Set the copier and plug in the firmware USB, press the stop button + power on.
    Power off when the firmware screen is displayed.
    Power on after removing the firmware USB.
    You can use it if you do.
    (PS: In the latter case, data from other used copiers will be overwritten.)
    We want you to get the results you want.