Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

C308 SSD Board Replacement / Availability

Making a long story short here. We have a C308 that does not boot past 2 bars. We've done extensive troubleshooting on it, and determined that it is the SSD board that has failed. MFPB works perfectly in another test machine with that machines NVRAM and SSD board attached to it.

Attempted to order a new SSD board from Konica and, according to their online ordering site, the part has been discontinued and can no longer be ordered. I don't know the part number off the top of my head, and can't pull it up at the moment, but it was what was listed in the latest parts manual. There is actually 2 listed in the parts manual, both are discontinued. I can't see how that is possible as there is a parts availability guarantee, and this model is not end of life. I can find no alternate part numbers, no bulletins mentioning anything at all about this.

Anyway, has anybody ever successfully swapped out a used SSD from another machine on the 8-series? That is what we are currently looking into as one of our options. If anyone has attempted this, successfully or not, and can provide any insight into issues we may face with doing this, it would be greatly appreciated.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: C308 SSD Board Replacement / Availability

I have done it on the 4e series. I used on from a B/W model on a Color machine. It did change the meter and I noticed the new color meter was "0" . The ssd board will also have other information from the previous machine. Which needs to be changed. Good luck let us know how it goes if you do it!

Also thats weird they discontinued it as I have recently purchased an ssd for the 4e series.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

I believe they called it emmc. Never had one fail.
    Hope Albonline isn't on vacation.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    I have done it on the 4e series. I used on from a B/W model on a Color machine. It did change the meter and I noticed the new color meter was "0" . The ssd board will also have other information from the previous machine. Which needs to be changed. Good luck let us know how it goes if you do it!

Also thats weird they discontinued it as I have recently purchased an ssd for the 4e series.
    I also thought is was strange that it came up as discontinued. For the heck of it, I looked up one from a C287, since they are essentially the same physically, and that was also listed as discontinued. I didn't think to try a 4e, as they are a different style board.

We are still weighing our options, but that is kind of what I was afraid of was bringing the meters and what not from a different machine into this one. I know that the 8-deries uses 2 EPROM chips on the main board, which also stores backups of data like meters and what not. I'm afraid that if we attempt to use a different SSD, things may get ugly because the data between the 2 wouldn't match. If there was a way to force it to pull the data from the EPROMS and overwrite what's on the SSD, we might be successful.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    I believe they called it emmc. Never had one fail.
    Hope Albonline isn't on vacation.
    You are correct. The parts book and some locations in the service manual do refer to it as an eMMC board. That term actually refers to a type of interface, but that isn't accurate either. These actually use an mSATA interface not eMMC, so Konica really isn't using proper terminology for these. But, that's a story for another day...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I have not had the need to order an SSD (EMMC) from KM for the 8 series, but the last time I tried to order one for a 4 series, it was like PULLING TEETH... the hotline people were absolutely useless and would not order one for me because I was "not the original seller of the machine". I almost never am.

In any event, NO it should definitely not be discontinued, so I would get someone at KM to help out, other than your normal parts person.
    OC

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

If in fact the 8 series SSD is no longer available this just adds to the demise of Konica Minolta. What they put their dealers & customers through this last year with toner & machine shortage is shameful to say the least! They are getting worse not better. What sucks is I've been upgrading all my customers with the 4 series to the 8 series and if they make parts hard to get or discontinued I'm screwed! I would prefer to stay with the 4 series but there have been a lot of issues with scanning security, etc so no choice but to upgrade. I believe Kon/Min machines are getting worse not better and designed not to last much past a lease period of 3-5 years if your are lucky. If I wasn't getting close to retirement I would switch to Canon!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

These are avalible. Not discontinued
    A7AHH02D02
    They useally require tech support approval and managers order them

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Woxner View Post
    A7AHH02D02
    Hey Wox,

Good to know. Makes me feel a little better.

By the way why is approval needed to order SSD? Only thing I can think of is because a new SSD can reset the meters and they don't want someone selling a used machine as new?

Thanks

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Woxner View Post
    A7AHH02D02
    Like button doesn't seem to work but this is correct. I've had the emmc(ssd) fail on a C308 causing the same issues, won't boot past 2. Manager had to order it, but I did not go through tech support for it prior. Same with a few SB issues, managers had to order.