Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    C224e scan quality

C224e scan quality

Didn't think this was possible but ready to learn something new. Customer called and said when they scan it shows blue across top of scan when viewing back at computer. Ask them to make a copy and they said it had blue across top of page. Had them print no blue, print is fine. So of course it's something in optics, ccd unit. Anyone ever see this? Confused by the color on the scanned image. Usually I see this where the print & copy have cyan quality issue but scan is fine.

Oh yea forgot to add I did ask them to check original they were scanning to make sure it didn't have blue at top of page

Wanted to get some insight before heading out there in a few days. I have several parts machines if need to bring anything to try. I'm thinking ccd unit or a board?

Thanks for any help

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    C224e scan quality

Re: C224e scan quality

When you say blue on top of page are you talking about lead edge or down one side. If down one side I would try placing original on glass and see what it looks like. Maybe mirror out of position, CCD ribbon cable , CCD , MFPB

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    C224e scan quality

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Didn't think this was possible but ready to learn something new. Customer called and said when they scan it shows blue across top of scan when viewing back at computer. Ask them to make a copy and they said it had blue across top of page. Had them print no blue, print is fine. So of course it's something in optics, ccd unit. Anyone ever see this? Confused by the color on the scanned image. Usually I see this where the print & copy have cyan quality issue but scan is fine.

Oh yea forgot to add I did ask them to check original they were scanning to make sure it didn't have blue at top of page

Wanted to get some insight before heading out there in a few days. I have several parts machines if need to bring anything to try. I'm thinking ccd unit or a board?

Thanks for any help
    Did they send an example that you can share?
    What happens if they scan greyscale instead of color? I've seen color lines pop up when copying from the DF but not while in greyscale. Ended up being something reflective under the slit glass, like red glitter

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    C224e scan quality

Clean the CCD Sensor with some alcohol. Had this exact same issue last week and full procedure took like 1 hour

C224e scan quality

Update, turned out to be the top frame where glass sits was bent down on rear side. When scanning or copying in mono it had black across the side edge, in color it was cyan (not sure why just cyan). Sorry forgot to take a sample to attach here. It was like an icicle effect about 1" wide along whole length of 11x17 paper

When I went to take out exp glass out I noticed the one side of glass was popped up, maybe 1/8". Removed glass and put my hands under rear frame and tired to lift machine from there to straighten, the force pulled the frame up a little. When I put glass back in it sat nice and flat. Of course cleaned the optics while glass was out.

Machine back working good now.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Update, turned out to be the top frame where glass sits was bent down on rear side. When scanning or copying in mono it had black across the side edge, in color it was cyan (not sure why just cyan). Sorry forgot to take a sample to attach here. It was like an icicle effect about 1" wide along whole length of 11x17 paper

When I went to take out exp glass out I noticed the one side of glass was popped up, maybe 1/8". Removed glass and put my hands under rear frame and tired to lift machine from there to straighten, the force pulled the frame up a little. When I put glass back in it sat nice and flat. Of course cleaned the optics while glass was out.

Tell them not to sit on top of the machine. There must have been quite a bit of force (or weight) put on that thing to bend it like that.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

C224e scan quality

Thanks for the feedback. Must have been a real force on top of the glass. A miracle it didn't crack.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

C224e scan quality

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Must have been a real force on top of the glass. A miracle it didn't crack.

Hans
    Remembered something else, before I did anything was troubleshooting making copies through ADF & off glass, I noticed when copying off glass scanner assy was scraping against rear frame when scanning under glass. This could of been a reason for what I call icicle effect by scanner having drag.

I asked them if copying heavy books or pressing down large plans on glass but agree it would take a lot of force. Like a good tech fist thing that comes to mind is secretary sat on machine (ha-ha see other techs think like me). But had to get that thought out of head right away! It's a construction office with only men! Anything is possible, maybe a big guy quit his job and wanted to send pic of his ass to boss!

Perhaps the Jap glass is stronger than their Chinese steel?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    C224e scan quality

Quote Originally Posted by Markks View Post
    When you say blue on top of page are you talking about lead edge or down one side. If down one side I would try placing original on glass and see what it looks like. Maybe mirror out of position, CCD ribbon cable , CCD , MFPB
    I'll confirm that. A blue background on scans can indicate poor focus. If you're lucky it could be as simple as a minor CCD height adjustment ... or it could be something major.

Does your customer copy books off the glass? If they lean heavily on the glass while copying books you'll get damage to the moving optics and reflectors.

The first thing that I would do is copy off the glass an original the full size of the glass:
    If it affects the center of the image it might be a bent reflector blocking the blue CCD elements.
    If it's at the front, rear, or trail edge it could be focus.
    Check that all cables are on their pulleys, mirror retainers in place, and sliders on each mirror assembly.
    If the image is parallelogrammed, someone probably leaned on the scanner, and you'll have to re-form that first, before you begin adjusting focus. Maybe you won't need to adjust focus after all.

If you choose to adjust focus, make very small adjustments to CCD height (1/4 turn of the screwdriver) and count rotations, so you can put it back to where you started when you make it worse, and you will. An addendum to Murphy's Law, you must turn the adjuster in the wrong direction the first time(s), until you identify that you're making it worse. I write those changes on a piece of paper, since it isn't easy to remember CW 2/4ths rear screw, CCW 3/4ths front screw, no change to right screw (just an example, your results will vary). When you're done re-paint the screw heads.

Enjoy! =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    C224e scan quality

Sorry, I didn't read that far before answering.

Yeah, either copying books or something really heavy was on top of it (I don't want to know what). =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=