Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cool Re: C1060 with toner pile-up on the 2nd Transfer Unit

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    ...I suspect it's the replacement toner that we're getting, and all we can do is live with the crappy toner until it's gone...=^..^=
    Well, as the supply chain unpredictability persists, the toner bottles in stock are sealed products direct from Japan? Not all of them, but definitely the magenta. The bottles are keyed differently as well...

Anyway, it's Friday! Machine is functional and I will no doubt need to clean it again before figuring it out. It's a Monday problem now.... LOL

I'll report my findings then, thanks!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    C1060 with toner pile-up on the 2nd Transfer Unit

Re: C1060 with toner pile-up on the 2nd Transfer Unit

Quote Originally Posted by OverKnight View Post
    A bit more information before I tear into it...

Quality is great. The only problem is the dusting/depositing of toner specifically with magenta. The machine is also requesting a replacement of a toner filter. Service mode shows that the filter box is at 97%. I removed the back cover and inspected the filter box and also ran some prints with it removed to make sure the fan was working correctly. It works splendidly.

I have attached 2 pictures that shows that magenta is reaching for the exits everywhere! Behind the unit is missing the duct cover and the blower blasts it straight onto the wall. Waste toner collection looks like magenta is dominating the blend (I was expecting the waste to be brownish). Toner Density Sensor Output seems nominal at Line Speed 1-4, 29777-29782-29784-29772 respectively. Ran the TDSO after the ITB was replaced. That being said, is it possible that toner is overwhelming the drum? Doesn't look like it from the test and all the other colors are in the same range.

Attachment 54659Attachment 54660

Anyway, I'm just spit balling here before going in too deep for no reason.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    If that filter box is at 97% you definitely need to replace it. They always look fine when removed but the internal filter is for sure clogged up. Also, while the filter box is removed, get your vacuum out with a crevice nozzle and reach back behind the process drawer and clean out those suction ports (8 of them). When the filter and ports get clogged these machines will start blowing toner all over the place. Particularly magenta.

Question Re: C1060 with toner pile-up on the 2nd Transfer Unit

Quote Originally Posted by wjurls View Post
    If that filter box is at 97% you definitely need to replace it. They always look fine when removed but the internal filter is for sure clogged up. Also, while the filter box is removed, get your vacuum out with a crevice nozzle and reach back behind the process drawer and clean out those suction ports (8 of them). When the filter and ports get clogged these machines will start blowing toner all over the place. Particularly magenta.
    Yes, Sir! Go with the simple fix first. LOL

When I first saw the dusting throughout the unit, I made sure to clean out the inlets. The ITB was certainly distressed and the majority of the problem. Replacing the TBCU was due as well. Combined it cleaned everything up except this magenta leak. I will revisit the inlets, be thorough this time and replace the filter box.

I'll report the results once I have everything done and running.

Exclamation Re: C1060 with toner pile-up on the 2nd Transfer Unit

OK, got the new Filter Box and broke down the Process Unit and completed a thorough cleaning, including the Dust Proof Glass (you'll know why I point this out by reading the rest).

IMG_3767.jpg

NOTE: Out of curiosity I weighed the old Filter Box vs. the new and it was definitely heavier. Dumped it and magenta was spewing out. EWWWW.

Picked a job out that was a good sized run of 800+ sheets. Loaded the tray with 200 sheets (to break the run) and went to town... After each reload, I check the 2nd Transfer for deposits. Yep, magenta's still there. As the fate would have it, a few sheets would double and halt the system. WE BE JAMMIN'

This was a good thing because I was able to see this issue and it's literal tracks. As you can see, there is a BAND of magenta coming off the ITB. This isn't just some dusting of toner poofing from the end. It looks like its being written to the drum or rather the drum isn't being cleared near the end?

IMG_3768.jpg

Sticking to principles, I'm assuming the drum becomes charged, the Writing Unit exposes the drum thus reversing the charge in non-image areas and toner then adheres to everything else. That might be simplifying it, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

It's a guess that this area isn't being "written" correctly and carrying toner to a place that it doesn't belong. Again, thank God for jams. LOL

It's clearly a solid band of magenta toner and none of the other colors are a problem nor is quality. Machine is running like it doesn't care... other than consuming magenta like it's candy.

Any thoughts on this new hypothesis?
    Last edited by OverKnight; 09-22-2022 at 10:27 PM.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

OK, got the new Filter Box and broke down the Process Unit and completed a thorough cleaning, including the Dust Proof Glass (you'll know why I point this out by reading the rest).

IMG_3767.jpg

NOTE: Out of curiosity I weighed the old Filter Box vs. the new and it was definitely heavier. Dumped it and magenta was spewing out. EWWWW.

Picked a job out that was a good sized run of 800+ sheets. Loaded the tray with 200 sheets (to break the run) and went to town... After each reload, I check the 2nd Transfer for deposits. Yep, magenta's still there. As the fate would have it, a few sheets would double and halt the system. WE BE JAMMIN'

This was a good thing because I was able to see this issue and it's literal tracks. As you can see, there is a BAND of magenta coming off the ITB. This isn't just some dusting of toner poofing from the end. It looks like its being written to the drum or rather the drum isn't being cleared near the end?

IMG_3768.jpg

Sticking to principles, I'm assuming the drum becomes charged, the Writing Unit exposes the drum thus reversing the charge in non-image areas and toner then adheres to everything else. That might be simplifying it, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

It's a guess that this area isn't being "written" correctly and carrying toner to a place that it doesn't belong. Again, thank God for jams. LOL

It's clearly a solid band of magenta toner and none of the other colors are a problem nor is quality. Machine is running like it doesn't care... other than consuming magenta like it's candy.

This means if you do panic stop machine test M drum will has that band?
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I would go for developing unit replacement right after drum and charge unit replacement does not give results.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    C1060 with toner pile-up on the 2nd Transfer Unit

IMG_3767.jpg

IMG_3768.jpg

You lost me about half way through.

If it was the laser causing this issue by writing that band of image (on digital devices the laser writes the text/image, NOT the white areas), the laser would have to be consistently ON when the beam reached the one end, which seems very unlikely to me. Usually with lasers, the fault you get is light NOT leaving the laser, usually obstructed by toner, or dust, or a failed laser diode, or a failed mirror motor ... many of these things will code out the machine. If it passes a Auto Color Calibration, the laser isn't it.

In my opinion it's got to be the magenta developing unit dumping, or the magenta drum not cleaning, or a rusting charge grid. In either case the toner spray will contaminate the primary charge grid, making it worse. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    You lost me about half way through.

If it was the laser causing this issue by writing that band of image (on digital devices the laser writes the text/image, NOT the white areas), the laser would have to be consistently ON when the beam reached the one end, which seems very unlikely to me. Usually with lasers, the fault you get is light NOT leaving the laser, usually obstructed by toner, or dust, or a failed laser diode, or a failed mirror motor ... many of these things will code out the machine. If it passes a Auto Color Calibration, the laser isn't it.

In my opinion it's got to be the magenta developing unit dumping, or the magenta drum not cleaning, or a rusting charge grid. In either case the toner spray will contaminate the primary charge grid, making it worse. =^..^=
    Simply put, I already swapped the drum to see if it would do the same thing. I don't know if it was creating the same conditions, but the build-up on the 2nd Transfer definitely occurred. The band is perfect and one could assume a mechanical defect rather than just a minor quality flaw with something else. Imaging was a guess, but like you said, that would code out (I kinda figured it would).

I'm reaching for the answer and SLOWLY getting to PERFECTION. LOL

AND I already thought of the coronas, got a full set of them. ;-)

I'll swap out the magenta and replace it with a new one. As for the drum itself, there isn't anything visible on it that would suggest its failing. We'll see what happens next...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    I would go for developing unit replacement right after drum and charge unit replacement does not give results.
    Yes, I already thought of the coronas. Got a set and a drum for the Magenta if all else fails. However, like I have explained, I swapped the drum out already to test the drum theory. Similar results.

I'm going with the corona and see if the problem lies there...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    This means if you do panic stop machine test M drum will has that band?
    HMM, on the drum itself? That I don't know. I would need to look closer at that and would prove it is closer to the source of the problem.

What I do know, is the band is visible on the ITB. I would assume that the drum would have this as well if the machine panics...

I'm going to replace the corona to see if it's a charging issue to the drum.

Thank!