Guidance c454e toner smudge....transfer roller?

C454e
    Hi! Thanks for the help as usual. Would this be a transfer belt/roller problem. There is obvious cyan toner on the transfer roller.

New cyan drum kit, new cyan developer powder, genuine toner. Prints were fine for ~1000 pages after imaging unit refurbs. This is a new problem.
    I have the service manual and access to donor machines to keep this one running (no tech within 60 miles, it is what it is). Thank you all very much for guidance.

sample.jpg

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Guidance c454e toner smudge....transfer roller?

It looks like it's dumping cyan developer to me. Are the resulting prints gritty? I suspect yes. Contributing factors could be drums way past yield. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

+1 on Cyan developer problem. No way it's a transfer roller problem. You may see cyan build up on the transfer roller but not the problem.

Very common for 4 series dumping developer, usually cyan. Most often due to over life cyan drum. But keep in mind any over life drum or transfer belt can cause HV leak and cause "any" other color developer to dump.

What do you mean "new cyan drum kit"? did you rebuild drum? Did you replace drum, blade, grid & saw tooth charger? Developer had to be aftermarket because Kon/Min doesn't offer developer powder for these models. Did you check levels under state confirmation in service mode after replacing developer powder and see if in the 6.5 range?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

+2
    Unfortunately could be very expensive to repair if you are not experienced.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jcrack_corn View Post
    C454e
    Hi! Thanks for the help as usual. Would this be a transfer belt/roller problem. There is obvious cyan toner on the transfer roller.

New cyan drum kit, new cyan developer powder, genuine toner. Prints were fine for ~1000 pages after imaging unit refurbs. This is a new problem.
    I have the service manual and access to donor machines to keep this one running (no tech within 60 miles, it is what it is). Thank you all very much for guidance.

sample.jpg
    Fit genuine Konica Minolta image & developer units, most likely you have used incompatible cyan developer. Where did you purchase it from ?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

You can use a less expensive "genuine" black developer unit and change it to color. Search this forum on very easy procedure. But once again before doing this you have to correct the over life / bad drums / transfer belt or the new developer unit will crash and you will be right back where you started!

Thank you all! For drums, only drum and wiper changed. But I have several machines (224, 454, 554) and I now think that this drum was actually not rebuilt. I know for sure this developer was recharged. So will rebuild this drum, will recheck developer weight, can rechip both and will calibrate and see what happens. Hack work I know, but the best I can do with no good tech access and new imaging/dev units cost more than machine value.

thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    +1 on Cyan developer problem. No way it's a transfer roller problem. You may see cyan build up on the transfer roller but not the problem.

Very common for 4 series dumping developer, usually cyan. Most often due to over life cyan drum. But keep in mind any over life drum or transfer belt can cause HV leak and cause "any" other color developer to dump.

What do you mean "new cyan drum kit"? did you rebuild drum? Did you replace drum, blade, grid & saw tooth charger? Developer had to be aftermarket because Kon/Min doesn't offer developer powder for these models. Did you check levels under state confirmation in service mode after replacing developer powder and see if in the 6.5 range?

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jcrack_corn View Post
    Thank you all! For drums, only drum and wiper changed. But I have several machines (224, 454, 554) and I now think that this drum was actually not rebuilt. I know for sure this developer was recharged. So will rebuild this drum, will recheck developer weight, can rechip both and will calibrate and see what happens. Hack work I know, but the best I can do with no good tech access and new imaging/dev units cost more than machine value.

thank you all!
    Replace the developer unit with a genuine Konica Minolta unit.
    Rebuilding a failing dev unit does not fix it