Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician
    KM BizHub 423 - Paper Jams - Tray 1 Only - Error 30-01

Cool KM BizHub 423 - Paper Jams - Tray 1 Only - Error 30-01

Firstly, thank you again to everyone that's been helping me with this BizHub 423. You have been instrumental in getting me this far. Copies and prints are looking good, and I have Fax mostly working. The only real head-scratcher I have left are the issues with feeding from Tray 1 - I'm hooping you can help with that.

Here's the Situation:

Every 5 to 20 copies from Tray 1 will cause a paper jam with an error code 30-01. Opening the side panel will reveal a sheet of paper crumpled at the exit of the fuser, and another sheet fed through the registration rollers with its leading edge just short of the transfer roller. When the two sheets of paper are removed, and the side panel closed, the display will show a 'Paper Size/Incorrect Type' error. Opening and closing Tray 1 will clear the error. Tray 2 and the Manual Bypass Tray work fine. I haven't seen any jams feeding paper from these trays.

Some other details:

• I'm using 8-1/2" x 11" paper. The issue occurs in both landscape and portrait orientations.
    • I'm performing most of my tests using the 'Service Mode->Test Mode->Paper Passage Test'
    • I don't know much about the history of this machine or the wear on the consumables since all the consumable counters were reset. The total counter shows 384K.

I found several posts on this forum related to paper jams and the 30-01 errors, and that led me down the path of checking / testing / changing the following things - all without any notable change in behavior...

• Installed new upper fuser roller and thermistors. - This was done before I noticed the jam issue with Tray 1. I don't think it's related, but thought I would mention it since it is something I changed.
    • Installed new feed unit rollers - The paper feed units for Tray 1 and Tray2 got new Pickup/Feed/Separation rollers and a good cleaning. The Feed and Separation rollers were replaced with the original orange type of roller. The Pickup roller is the 'new style' black ribbed roller. Not sure if it was a good idea to go with this style of roller or not, but that's what I did (see photo).
    • Verified proper paper feed unit type - Tray 1 and Tray 2 paper feed units both have the extra optical sensor required for the BH 423 model.
    • Swapped the clutches - Moved the clutch from the Tray 2 feed unit into Tray 1 feed unit.
    • Checked Mylar Strip - Verified the clear Mylar strip at the base of the registration unit passes OVER the bottom edge of the registration unit (is not tucked under it). The strip is a bit warped/wavy, not completely flat against the bottom of the registration unit. Not sure if this could be an issue or not (see photos).
    • Swapped Registration Unit - Swapped out the registration unit with one from my donor Bizhub 36 (This donor unit has only 64K on the total counter).
    • Adjusted the Printer Registration Loop - [Service Mode->Machine->Printer Reg. Loop Adjust]. I Changed the Tray 1 setting from -3 up to +3 without any notable difference in function. I set it back to 0 after testing.

What's next? - I've exhausted my small well of ideas. Any suggestions on what do do now?

I've attached photos below for reference:
    PXL_20221128_225321792.jpgPXL_20221129_005823295.jpgPXL_20221128_225420764.jpgPXL_20221128_225342547.jpgPXL_20221128_225558558.jpgPXL_20221128_040205772.jpgPXL_20221126_225713470.jpg

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

Re: KM BizHub 423 - Paper Jams - Tray 1 Only - Error 30-01

only thing left is replacing the exit unit assy.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

You posted the display shows 'Paper Size/Incorrect Type' after the jam. You have to address this issue. If registration clutch slips and feeds next sheet without hesitation machine will think it's longer paper. I know you said you changed it but spray reg clutch with electronic cleaner and blow out with air.

Try running different size paper?

What happens if you run one page at a time, does it still jam?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

The key here is the second picture showing the "set correct paper size" message. If you look in the jam history, you will probably see J9901 jams. As copyman stated, the machine is seeing the paper as a longer size than it really is, which means one of 2 things: It's multi-sheet feeding giving the impression of longer paper or there is a delay in the paper movement when being fed from Tray 1. Since it doesn't appear to be multi-sheet feeding, I'd focus on the most likely cause being a delay.

It could be a slipping clutch on the registration rollers, maybe the grip of the registration rollers isn't sufficient (worn roller bushings, improperly attached spring(s) causing low pressure between the registration rollers, etc.), slipping one-way bearings in the tray 1 feed unit, paper guides are too tight against the paper stack, just to name a few.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Replace registration clutch, blow registration photointerupter (+check the spring).
    5 min job.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    ... slipping one-way bearings in the tray 1 feed unit, paper guides are too tight against the paper stack, just to name a few.
    This is the one I was thinking of. Soak out one-way bearings in alcohol, lubricate with light oil. You shouldn't have any problem with that particular new roller combination, I've had success with it for years.

The J30-01 jam points to a paper size mismatch, which can be accounted for by arriving a little late at the registration roller.

I wouldn't worry much about the wavy mylar ... they get that way and don't really cause an issue. Since it is a timing issue, it can be tricky to identify the specific thing delaying the paper passage. It is probably happening between tray #1 and the registration roller. Try cleaning the registration roller with WD40. Keep WD40 AWAY from plastics, unless you want them melted. It will cause the rubber to expand temporarily, and may help you identify the registration roller as a cause. It is not a permanent solution however.

Just 1 side note, I am very impressed by your very thorough searching of the threads here, and trying multiple courses of action without a lot of prompting. I don't know what you do most of the time, but you would make a great copier tech. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 11-29-2022 at 08:28 PM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Thank you for all the new information and suggestions. Based on what you shared here, these will be my next steps:

• Check Job log for additional error codes.
    • Run one page at a time to see if jams still occur. (will also try with different paper size if I can find some).
    • Paper Feed Unit
      • Clean one-way bearings and sensors. (I might just clean and use all the bearings from the donor BH36 since I suspect they have much less time on them)
      • Check the paper guides in the tray aren't too tight.

• Registration Unit:
      • Clean registration clutch with Deoxit D5 and air.
      • Clean photointerrupter and spring.
      • Disassemble/clean registration roller bearings and rollers.
      • Check roller springs/gears.
      • Treat the rubber roller with Sprayway Rubber Cleaner & Rejuvenator (safe around plastics).

• Swap in the Paper Exit Assembly from donor BH36

I'll report back with the results.

Technician

Cool Re: KM BizHub 423 - Paper Jams - Tray 1 Only - Error 30-01

Quick Update:

Checked the jam history and saw several 99-01 jams as femaster suggested, and a few 30-03 errors. The 99-01 errors weren't occurring when I was using the Service Mode 'paper passage test', but I see that they were when manually running copies during normal operation. I confirmed this by running one copy at a time as copyman suggested. After 5-10 copies, the paper will jam at the exit of the fuser with a 99-01. And the display will show a 'Paper Size/Incorrect Type' error after I clear the jam.
    Last edited by Fritzy; 11-29-2022 at 09:04 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzy View Post
    • Swapped Registration Unit - Swapped out the registration unit with one from my donor Bizhub 36 (This donor unit has only 64K on the total counter).

IMO, this is the one issue where swapping with a used registration from a known good will not work well, so I'd cross that off your list of things done. Those bushings being worn may work perfectly fine for the donor but will not work once you place it in your down machine. Used parts have only ever harmed me in this one issue, and its happened a few times. I'd still try what others are saying but make sure to add this back to your list. As of 6 months ago I was able to order those bushings

Technician

Cool Re: KM BizHub 423 - Paper Jams - Tray 1 Only - Error 30-01

Good News! - Looks like it was an issue with the Tray 1 paper feed unit.

I moved the wiring/electronic sensors and new rollers from the BH423's Tray 1 paper feed unit into the Tray 1 unit from the BH36. I Installed this unit into the BH423 and it has fed over 300 sheets without a jam. Tested in both landscape and portrait mode with no issues!

I figured all the mechanical parts in the BH36 feed unit have less wear than the BH423's, so it seemed to make sense to just move the fresh rollers and the necessary electronic bits to that assembly. The one-way bearings for the pickup roller and feed roller were soaked in isopropyl and blown out with air. They looked fine, but a good cleaning as blackcat4866 suggested wouldn't hurt either.

Thank you all again for your guidance with this! I'm cautiously optimistic that this will resolve the jam issue. I'm continuing to test.

I plan to go back and clean/refurbish the registration unit and give it some fresh bearings at a later date (or sooner if I start seeing paper jams again). It just seems like it would be good insurance to do it before new issues crop up.

Now I'll get back to some more Fax testing - I'd like to get that working a little more reliably before I give it to my friend. I will probably be reaching out to you all again for some more guidance there.
    Last edited by Fritzy; 11-30-2022 at 07:33 AM.