Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Question Mark (?) On Paper Type Setting on i series machines?

Hello All,
    Can anyone tell me what the ? symbol means in the paper selection menu on the copy screen and how to get rid of it?
    It will disappear after manually selecting the A4 tray and a page is printed but it is causing issue when an A4 job is sent down and the machine will ask for A4 paper to be loaded into the tray, even though it already has plain A4 paper loaded.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Question Mark (?) On Paper Type Setting on i series machines?

It always helps to specify the make and model of your machine
    it looks like a paper type setting this video should help
    Changing The Paper Type Settings | Konica - YouTube
    Video: Changing The Paper Tray Settings On A Kyocera MFP
    for other makes google change paper type settings for your particular make/model
    I Used To Live To Fix Things Now i Fix Things To Live

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    It always helps to specify the make and model of your machine
    it looks like a paper type setting this video should help
    Changing The Paper Type Settings | Konica - YouTube
    Video: Changing The Paper Tray Settings On A Kyocera MFP
    for other makes google change paper type settings for your particular make/model
    Sorry i forgot to put the model in.
    The particular machine i have this issue with a is a C450i but I've seen this on all i series machines.

i know how to change the paper type, the issue is that (it seems) whenever new paper is loaded into the tray, it shows a ? for the type. even though it is set to plain in the type settings.
    when a job is sent. the machine ask for plain A4 to be loaded. (even though the job is plain A4) the user has to manually select tray 1 (plain A4) for the job to print. it works perfectly after that first manual selection and the ? disappears.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copytechtrouble View Post
    Sorry i forgot to put the model in.
    The particular machine i have this issue with a is a C450i but I've seen this on all i series machines.

i know how to change the paper type, the issue is that (it seems) whenever new paper is loaded into the tray, it shows a ? for the type. even though it is set to plain in the type settings.
    when a job is sent. the machine ask for plain A4 to be loaded. (even though the job is plain A4) the user has to manually select tray 1 (plain A4) for the job to print. it works perfectly after that first manual selection and the ? disappears.
    There is an automatic paper type detection on those machines I believe, it looks as though this is failing which is causing your ? mark symbol and creating the paper type mismatch, when the paper tray is refilled. I would think this can be turned off, only I've never seen this symbol. I'll check the manual now for you.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brad6784 View Post
    There is an automatic paper type detection on those machines I believe, it looks as though this is failing which is causing your ? mark symbol and creating the paper type mismatch, when the paper tray is refilled. I would think this can be turned off, only I've never seen this symbol. I'll check the manual now for you.
    I may have got this wrong, that may be for the bypass only.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I may have got this wrong, that may be for the bypass only.
    There is a setting in the utility to adjust this auto paper type detection setting but I can't confirm if this is bypass or all trays. I would assume all trays as a ? symbol is usually an auto detect failure of some sort and I would think this is where you would need to start looking. You can also change the auto detect values if you are getting an error, see below. There maybe someone on this site that knows more about this particular function, good luck and please let us know how you get on.

• [Utility]
      • [Expert Adjustment]
        • [Auto Paper Detection Setting]

[Switch Local Weight Table] Select the weight category to suit the distribution paper for each country (default: [Auto]).
    [Weight Detection Adjustment] To adjust a difference between measured values that is caused due to the paper feeding path, enter the adjustment value (default: [0]).
    As the value is greater, the weight is detected as a thicker paper type.
    [Weight Class Threshold Adjustment] When limiting to specific paper types to increase the detection accuracy, adjust the threshold of the weight category (default: [0]).
    As the value is lower, the threshold shifts to the thinner value, and it becomes easier for the paper to enter the thicker category.
    [Weight Class Variation Correction] For the paper type near the weight category border, when restricting a dispersion that occurs in the judgment results each time paper is loaded, select [Yes] (default: [No]).
    [Recycled Paper Identif. Adj.] Adjust the threshold to identify whether the paper is recycled paper (default: [0]).
    As the value is lower, it makes easier for the paper to be detected as recycled paper.
    [Envelope Identification Adjustment] Adjust the threshold to identify whether the paper is envelope (default: [0]).
    As the value is greater, it makes easier for the paper to be detected as envelope.
    [Plain Paper Identific.Adj.] Adjust the threshold to identify whether the paper is plain paper (default: [0]).
    As the value is greater, it makes easier for the paper to be detected as plain paper.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

It means A4 paper other than 60-90gsm is selected. It should show exact what in paper tray settings.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Technician

There is a setting in the utility to adjust this auto paper type detection setting but I can't confirm if this is bypass or all trays. I would assume all trays as a ? symbol is usually an auto detect failure of some sort and I would think this is where you would need to start looking. You can also change the auto detect values if you are getting an error, see below. There maybe someone on this site that knows more about this particular function, good luck and please let us know how you get on.

• [Utility]
      • [Expert Adjustment]
        • [Auto Paper Detection Setting]

[Switch Local Weight Table] Select the weight category to suit the distribution paper for each country (default: [Auto]).
    [Weight Detection Adjustment] To adjust a difference between measured values that is caused due to the paper feeding path, enter the adjustment value (default: [0]).
    As the value is greater, the weight is detected as a thicker paper type.
    [Weight Class Threshold Adjustment] When limiting to specific paper types to increase the detection accuracy, adjust the threshold of the weight category (default: [0]).
    As the value is lower, the threshold shifts to the thinner value, and it becomes easier for the paper to enter the thicker category.
    [Weight Class Variation Correction] For the paper type near the weight category border, when restricting a dispersion that occurs in the judgment results each time paper is loaded, select [Yes] (default: [No]).
    [Recycled Paper Identif. Adj.] Adjust the threshold to identify whether the paper is recycled paper (default: [0]).
    As the value is lower, it makes easier for the paper to be detected as recycled paper.
    [Envelope Identification Adjustment] Adjust the threshold to identify whether the paper is envelope (default: [0]).
    As the value is greater, it makes easier for the paper to be detected as envelope.
    [Plain Paper Identific.Adj.] Adjust the threshold to identify whether the paper is plain paper (default: [0]).
    As the value is greater, it makes easier for the paper to be detected as plain paper.
    Thanks you. ill be back with the customer later today or first thing tomorrow. ill let you know how it went.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

The ? appears on the i-models with the Auto Paper Type Detection option installed and the option is enabled. Every time you open and close one of the paper drawers, you will get the ? for the paper type. The machine will continue to show the ? until the first sheet of paper is fed from that drawer because the detection sensor is right below the registration rollers. Once the first page is fed, it will auto detect the paper and it will remain set to whatever it detected until the next time the drawer is opened.

If you don't want that feature, or it causes an issue, you need to disable it.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    The ? appears on the i-models with the Auto Paper Type Detection option installed and the option is enabled. Every time you open and close one of the paper drawers, you will get the ? for the paper type. The machine will continue to show the ? until the first sheet of paper is fed from that drawer because the detection sensor is right below the registration rollers. Once the first page is fed, it will auto detect the paper and it will remain set to whatever it detected until the next time the drawer is opened.

If you don't want that feature, or it causes an issue, you need to disable it.
    YES! this was the solution. thank you very much!

just to round out the problem for others,
    the customer was using bespoke software for cattle auctions. this software was used to print receipts and invoices.

when the machine showed the ? for the paper type, the software couldn't print the job until the user manually selected tray 1 (plain A4). all other jobs would then print fine.
    the issue would arise again when any tray was opened and closed.

to be clear, this machine did NOT have the auto paper type detection option (not sure if that's the correct name for it) installed but it was enabled in Administrator - System Settings - Paper type auto detection settings.
    once i switched this setting off the customer could open and close trays without the ? coming up and the software would print without issue.

thanks again for this solution femaster!

paper type dection.jpg