Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hourglass biz hub c253

good evening everyone, I have a problem with a bizhub c253. After the power went out, it didn't start anymore, when it turned on it stuck on the hourglass. I'm trying to reinstall the firmware. but when I insert the cf card, the message this is invalid card comes out on the screen. I'm using a 512mb cf. what could be the problem ?

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    hourglass biz hub c253

Re: hourglass biz hub c253

a 128 or 256 card is suggested, i never had any luck with a 512.
    plus i hope you didnt format the card, use the imaging toolkit and HXden if needed to wipe the card.
    either way here are the FW instructions from the manual in case you dont have.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

thanks, yes i used the imaging toolkit. In settings I have enabled advanced features. after that i selected format card and i selected the letter associated with the cf card and it formatted it to fat, after that i selected write firmware to sd card and i uploaded the firmware file thames2_cf.tar. and I clicked on write. Could it be because I'm using Windows 10? or is the cf too big? or what did I do wrong?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johngrimek View Post
    thanks, yes i used the imaging toolkit. In settings I have enabled advanced features. after that i selected format card and i selected the letter associated with the cf card and it formatted it to fat, after that i selected write firmware to sd card and i uploaded the firmware file thames2_cf.tar. and I clicked on write. Could it be because I'm using Windows 10? or is the cf too big? or what did I do wrong?
    Yup, that's your problem.

We had ZERO luck using Windows 10, Windows 8, and I honestly don't recall if Windows 7 worked either. If it does, it would have to be a 32-bit version of it and not a 64-bit, and the same would go with Vista. Again, can't recall if they worked or not. In the end our IT created a virtual machine running Windows XP and then we were able to successfully write to the CF card and get the copier to recognize and accept the firmware from it.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Thanks, I try to use HXden to wipe the card but I didn't understand how to wipe the card, can you tell me what steps to follow?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    hourglass biz hub c253

Just get a new 128 or 256 CF card and don't format. Use toolkit to copy FW to CF card and should install with no problems.

Also that machine was very picky on what brand of CF card would work. I remember Sandisk was one that worked good.

hourglass biz hub c253

dug mine out of hibernation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hourglass biz hub c253

Quote Originally Posted by johngrimek View Post
    Thanks, I try to use HXden to wipe the card but I didn't understand how to wipe the card, can you tell me what steps to follow?
    here ya go.

hi, so I followed your advice by changing the card and the procedure partially worked. in the sense that it performed the update, the key became light and blue, I turned off the c253 extract the card , I turned it on again but still see the hourglass (I waited about 5 minutes). I then tried to flash the firmware again, but it remained blocked as in the attached image. what could be the problem ? Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

hourglass biz hub c253

what version WAS on the machine?
    that series was such a huge pain in the ass you will be better off setting it on fire.
    you may have this crap to contend with.

really, just call it a loss. its not worth your time anymore, its extinct.

5. Firmware upgrade5.1 Outline• There are two ways to update the firmware: One is by directly connecting with the mainbody using the compact flash, and the other is by downloading over a network using theInternet ISW.5.2 Notes about firmware rewrite5.2.1 Types of firmware• Two types of firmware are released for bizhub C353/C253/C203. They are a maintenance release version and an enhanced version.Maintenance release version : Addresses remaining problems
    Function enhanced version : Adds new features and includes the contents of the maintenance release version available at the same time
    • The function enhanced version firmware is available in two types:“Function Enhancement 1” and “Function Enhancement 2”• Before rewriting a firmware, check the current firmware version of the machine and confirm the type of the current firmware using CSES.Select an appropriate firmware and rewrite the current firmware.5.2.2 Rewrite to/from a function enhanced version of firmware• The processing that ensures compatibility is required when upgrading the firmware to thefunction enhanced version.HDD Version Up (LK) : To maintain the compatibility of management information data and documents stored in HDD after the firmware upgrade. (only for Function Enhancement 2).NOTE• Firmware can be rewritten only through the menu operation on the control paneland cannot be rewritten with the CS Remote Care system.• Take the following steps to perform processing that ensures compatibility.A. Upgrade to the function enhancement 2 from the early mass-production firmware/function enhancement 11. After rewriting the firmware, turn OFF and ON the main power switch and sub powerswitch.2. Trouble code C-E002 is displayed.3. Call the Service Mode to the screen.4. Touch [State Confirmation] → [Memory/HDD Adj.] → [HDD Version Up (LK)].5. Check to see that the Start key is lit in blue. Touch the Start key to initiate version up.6. When version up is completed, the result is displayed on the screen.7. Turn OFF and ON the main power switch and sub power switch.