Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Issues making copies from platen glass. Bizhub 458

Hi all, I have a bizhub 458(not an e series) that is giving me an issue with copies from the flat glass. We have tried adjusting the CCD to each adjustment line and get the same results each time. When we make copies with the ADF they are coming out normal. I'm attaching a PDF with 3 pages. The first page is a copy from the ADF and the subsequent two are from the flat glass at various points of trying to calibrate the CCD. Are there any other adjustments we can make aside from moving the CCD left and right? I know the screws with the red paint are not to be touched.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Issues making copies from platen glass. Bizhub 458

The upper left shadow is interesting to me, what behavior does it have when scanning in A3? I have never had to adjust a lens, the alignment problems I have had have been due to missing slider feet from the mirror carriage

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

The doc feeder is not sitting right. Tighten the 2 silver mounting screws as well as all the silver screws on bottom holding the feeder onto both hinges. Then make adjustments, instructions for all the ADF adjustments are in the service manual & install instructions.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The scanner rails are warped..This is why the copies look OK through the ADF..Only using the slit glass. That is too large of a shadow to just be from a mis adjusted ADF

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    The scanner rails are warped..This is why the copies look OK through the ADF..Only using the slit glass. That is too large of a shadow to just be from a mis adjusted ADF

I hadn't considered this but there's a strong possibility you're right. This machine was moved by a third party when an office closed in texas and it may have been mishandled. If I recall, the rails aren't something I can replace, I would just have to play with them and see if I can straighten it out. Is that correct?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Maybe scanner bed needs some 'gentle adjustment'
    When brand new they ship them with front left strong support bar for a reason.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Insurance loss, bang you're done..E

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

We used to call it the "Ricoh Bear-Hug".

Ricoh's of the 90's had very malleable scanners. Add to that, we had some customers that liked to lean on the scanner. The left front corner got bent down.

The simple solution went as follows: Lean forward with your chest over the glass, reach both arms under the scanner, and gently lift the machine to straighten the scanner. It may take a couple of tries to get the desired effect.

Choose a time when the customer isn't watching. It's hard to explain why your doing it.

On a couple of machines that it became a daily issue, I cut a wood spacer of the desired length, to fit between the engine cover and scanner, and screwed it in place. Sure it's ugly, but some people just can't be fixed. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Been there and done that quite a few times on the Ricohs from that era. Generally I'd just lift up the left corner and things would straighten out pretty good. I'll second the part about doing when the customer isn't looking. You get some mighty strange looks from them if they see you doing it. Haven't had to do it too much with the KM line, though there is one machine... It's at a library where they like to copy book pages and they aren't too fond of the shadow caused by the spine of the book. I'm sure you know where I'm going with that one. You just can't teach / explain things to some people.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JasonSBE View Post
    Hi all, I have a bizhub 458(not an e series) that is giving me an issue with copies from the flat glass. We have tried adjusting the CCD to each adjustment line and get the same results each time. When we make copies with the ADF they are coming out normal. I'm attaching a PDF with 3 pages. The first page is a copy from the ADF and the subsequent two are from the flat glass at various points of trying to calibrate the CCD. Are there any other adjustments we can make aside from moving the CCD left and right? I know the screws with the red paint are not to be touched.
    I know this is for color machine but this could be your problem

Blurry copy, background trail edge, off the glass only
    Problem Solution
    ID: KBA00031524
    Related Products:bizhub C368,bizhub 224e,bizhub 284e,bizhub 308,bizhub 364e,bizhub 368,bizhub 454e,bizhub 458,bizhub 554e,bizhub 558,bizhub C224,bizhub C224e,bizhub C258,bizhub C284,bizhub C284e,bizhub C308,bizhub C364,bizhub C364e,bizhub C454,bizhub C454e,bizhub C458,bizhub C554,bizhub C554e,bizhub C558,MFX-3680N,MFX-4580N,MFX-C2280,MFX-C2280N,MFX-C2590,MFX-C2880,MFX-C2880N,MFX-C3090,MFX-C3680,MFX-C3680N,MFX-C3690,MFX-C4580N,MFX-C4590,MFX-C5580N,MFX-C5590
    Related Options:

Problem
    Blurry copy or scan, color background, off the glass only, 1/2 way down trail edge sub scan direction. Refer to the image below.

• When placing an original on the glass for copying or scanning, the output will appear blurry.
    • Half way down the sub scan direction, a multi-colored background and shading appears as well.
    • The background and color will not appear uniformed near the trail edge. A sample is attached for review.
    • This can occur when an Optical unit mirror is out of position or inadvertently moved out of it's mounting plate and plate spring .
    • This can occur when moving the MFP or cleaning the mirrors.
    • B&W models in Copy mode, shading will appear in various shades of black.
    • When scanning to SMB or Email from the B&W models, the shading will appear in color.

Solution
    CAUSE: Optical mirror is not seated properly in the mounting plate.

SOLUTION: Inspect and re-install the mirror found to be out of position in the mounting plate.