Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts KMFLT3CH's Avatar

i-Series noisy exit rollers

I have come across six of these I-series the past couple months with the exact same problem. The noise varies a little but the fix is the same. Five of them were new machines that exhibited the noise a week or two after install. Last machine was installed back in 2020 and only has 110k on it but the problem showed up last week. So far the models are a mix of bw & color and range from 250i to 650i. Make a copy or print a demo page and listen closely after the sheet comes out, the noise will continue for 10-20 seconds.

Video attached below:

20230327_133505_2.avi

Use whatever lube works for you and hit the lower idler rollers, work it into the shaft by shifting the roller right to left repeatedly. Wipe off any excess and you should be good to go. I like to run the exit rollers continuously on low speed while I apply lubrication:

Service mode > state confirmation > load check > check code 45 / multi code 4 > Start

Good luck!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: i-Series noisy exit rollers

So this is exactly what we all need to see here. Informative and helpful. Not bitching techs reputation.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Nice! Excellent work! =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KMFLT3CH View Post
    I have come across six of these I-series the past couple months with the exact same problem. The noise varies a little but the fix is the same. Five of them were new machines that exhibited the noise a week or two after install. Last machine was installed back in 2020 and only has 110k on it but the problem showed up last week. So far the models are a mix of bw & color and range from 250i to 650i. Make a copy or print a demo page and listen closely after the sheet comes out, the noise will continue for 10-20 seconds.
    Same problem here. Exit rollers on both color and B&W, and many of the B&W machines lately have had squeaky waste boxes. New machines, freshly unboxed.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    Same problem here. Exit rollers on both color and B&W, and many of the B&W machines lately have had squeaky waste boxes. New machines, freshly unboxed.
    Maybe because these machines sat in warehouses or on ships for long periods of time when you couldn't get machines last year.....

I've also had this noise from exit idler rollers on "4" & "8" series but only after a few years of being used.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts larweedad's Avatar

Had one that the customer had for 2 weeks squeaking. Turned out to be the black drum unit on the back side.

Like I've posted on this forum before, really sad that Kon/Min is turning out crap with their new models!

If you go by the 3 strikes and you are out rule:

1st Strike, toner shortage!

2nd Strike, waiting months for "i" series models to be delivered!

3rd Strike, new machines having issues right out of the box!

What's next? How much do they expect dealers & end users to put up with. Canon & Kyocera are starting to look a lot better.....

I know of one Pro-Tech dealership that had been with Kon/Min for over 40 years that dropped dealership and went with Canon instead. My friend is service manager and said Canon's are working well. They are also Kyocera & HP XL wide format dealers.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Like I've posted on this forum before, really sad that Kon/Min is turning out crap with their new models!

If you go by the 3 strikes and you are out rule:

1st Strike, toner shortage!

2nd Strike, waiting months for "i" series models to be delivered!

3rd Strike, new machines having issues right out of the box!

What's next? How much do they expect dealers & end users to put up with. Canon & Kyocera are starting to look a lot better.....

I know of one Pro-Tech dealership that had been with Kon/Min for over 40 years that dropped dealership and went with Canon instead. My friend is service manager and said Canon's are working well. They are also Kyocera & HP XL wide format dealers.
    I'm not sure any manufacturer latest and greatest model is exactly what's claimed probably not.
    As long it's Japanese it should be something that you can sell to your clients.
    Then we've got toner and machine shortage and KM response was really bad but imho it really depends on price as quality nowadays isn't what most of people are demanding. I would love to maintain KM brand machines but nothing against other brands too.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    I'm not sure any manufacturer latest and greatest model is exactly what's claimed probably not.
    As long it's Japanese it should be something that you can sell to your clients.
    Then we've got toner and machine shortage and KM response was really bad but imho it really depends on price as quality nowadays isn't what most of people are demanding. I would love to maintain KM brand machines but nothing against other brands too.
    I hear you brother. I'm sure all OEM's have their troubles. Don't get me wrong Kon/Min is my favorite brand but most of my machines are 4 & 8 series. I'm hanging in with these older models as long as I can. Have only sold a few "i" series.
    In all fairness to Kon/Min I've serviced all brands in the 40+ years in this business and Kon/Min has been the best OEM by far! This is what makes it so sad to see them go down hill...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I performed this same fix on a C-360i just last week.. great information though, and thanks for posting it! I didn't know where the squeak was coming from, so I ended up taking the exit section out to find it. Good to know you can lube it without taking it out.

And, yes, the machine shortage is over, and I'm not having as much trouble getting toner, but what a LOUSY thing to do to your loyal dealers. A company with the breadth and scope of KM should have sent out numerous updates to their dealers, throughout the fiasco. But alas, the Japanese are just too proud...

OC