Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts Madnhain's Avatar

Bizhub 364e "This is invalid External Memory"

So this is interesting...
    On boot up, the machine automatically goes into Firmware update mode with the "Firmware Update / This is invalid External Memory / Please make sure the external memory" message.
    However, the metal service cover is Down, blocking the sensor.
    It boots up normally if I lift the metal service cover (unblocking the sensor).

I cannot seem to find a reference anywhere to what state this sensor needs to be in for Firmware to be initiated. Anyone recall?

My best guess is that someone at some time removed the plate that the sensor is mounted on and installed it wrong... (if that is even possible). I'll look into that when I go back as it just occurred to me as I write this.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Bizhub 364e "This is invalid External Memory"

Quote Originally Posted by Madnhain View Post
    On boot up, the machine automatically goes into Firmware update mode with the "Firmware Update / This is invalid External Memory / Please make sure the external memory" message.

I cannot seem to find a reference anywhere to what state this sensor needs to be in for Firmware to be initiated. Anyone recall?

My best guess is that someone at some time removed the plate that the sensor is mounted on and installed it wrong... (if that is even possible). I'll look into that when I go back as it just occurred to me as I write this.
    I've seen this before but it's been a long time and can't remember how I fixed it? Will see if I can find my notes on it. Might as well bring firmware with you and try to update or if already up to date just reinstall latest F/W.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Definitely problem with sensor. Remove back cover and position it properly.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Have you tried updating firmware?

Technician

The problem is the MFP there is a bulletin where it indicates that the battery in some equipment arrived defective, it is necessary to change the MFP or otherwise change the battery and update the firmware.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Another machine, but I had a whole bunch of BH-C-284e coming from a wholesaler where they removed the hard drive. In the process of doing that, they removed the little hook-up cable from the sensor to the board too. Idiots.

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Quote Originally Posted by Markks View Post
    Have you tried updating firmware?
    I know you had to ask lol... but yes, that's the thing... It updates firmware as expected. I'm telling you, this thing is possessed.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    As soon as I make it back over there I'm going to give this a go. Seems odd that Firmware DID update as expected (with cover in up position). But when booting normally (cover down) it still goes into FW mode.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

then that sensor is NFG right?
    have you checked it with a meter blocked and unblocked?
    this is basic man, check the sensor in both states, if no change sensor bad right?
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

The typical state of the sensor for normal booting should be the sensor blocked. When the sensor is unblocked is when it should boot into firmware update mode. If it boots to firmware in either position, I'm thinking either a bad sensor or a shorted harness. The harness issue seems like a stretch though. It's so short that I can't see how it could get shorted, but if untrained hands were in it, who knows.

At this point, I'd borrow the sensor and harness from another copier and test.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...