Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts elmaligno's Avatar

Waste toner bottle warning 8 series, i series.

Good morning colleagues. I would like to ask you about the waste toner bottle warning on the 8 series (IT5) and the i series (IT6). In all these machines I have programmed it to be changed by the technician, not by the user, because according to the service manual, it gives a warning before it stops, and in this way it gives us time to go and change it. But the vast majority of customers say that either the machine does not warn them, it blocks directly (it may be that some do not notice the screen, but not many) or it leaves very little time from the moment it warns them until it stops. I would be interested in the machine warning as soon as the toner starts to fall into the transparent sub-deposit, i.e., warning before it blocks as far in advance as possible.
    Does anyone know more about this problem?
    Thanks in advance
    Field technician since 1994

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: Waste toner bottle warning 8 series, i series.

We use PrintFleet and it send us email when there is warning for WTB.
    However we don't leave it after that moment for more of a day or two to know how long it will take to machine stop.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elmaligno View Post
    Good morning colleagues. I would like to ask you about the waste toner bottle warning on the 8 series (IT5) and the i series (IT6). In all these machines I have programmed it to be changed by the technician, not by the user, because according to the service manual, it gives a warning before it stops, and in this way it gives us time to go and change it. But the vast majority of customers say that either the machine does not warn them, it blocks directly (it may be that some do not notice the screen, but not many) or it leaves very little time from the moment it warns them until it stops. I would be interested in the machine warning as soon as the toner starts to fall into the transparent sub-deposit, i.e., warning before it blocks as far in advance as possible.
    Does anyone know more about this problem?
    Thanks in advance
    Don't think the machine can determine when toner starts to fall into clear part on back of waste box, only when sensor gets fully blocked. Also if set for tech to replace waste box not sure it gives an advance warning?
    I would leave it set for customer to replace so it will give advance warning and then have customer notify you when message appears. If they don't it will be same as if you have it set for tech to replace without any warning at all.

Also could set for remote care to email you message "waste box needs to be replaced soon". Usually once this message appears it will allow a few thousand more prints before locking up.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

why cant the users change the WTB?
    isnt that like calling a plumber to flush a toilet?

depending on how often its used ive seen the toner cake up over the tube that goes to the detection window and the augers just dont move enough to break the clumps so the box fills up before it detects it.

why not empty one when its full, clean it out and leave it there for a spare so if it stops during a job they wont have to wait until service shows up.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

I think the warning phase is too short. Even most of our fleet customers have one waste bottle spare since we can't ensure the replacement arrives in time.

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Don't think the machine can determine when toner starts to fall into clear part on back of waste box, only when sensor gets fully blocked. Also if set for tech to replace waste box not sure it gives an advance warning?
    I would leave it set for customer to replace so it will give advance warning and then have customer notify you when message appears. If they don't it will be same as if you have it set for tech to replace without any warning at all.

Also could set for remote care to email you message "waste box needs to be replaced soon". Usually once this message appears it will allow a few thousand more prints before locking up.

When the unit life arrives, the warning display is intended for the specific person who is going to replace the unit.
    • When "User" is selected: Printing is inhibited.
    • When "Service" is selected: Life warning.

The machine must show life warning only with "service", not as you indicate in the answer, but it does not, that is the reason for my query.

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    I think the warning phase is too short. Even most of our fleet customers have one waste bottle spare since we can't ensure the replacement arrives in time.
    we use this solution for some customers, but when you have more than 3500 machines, the cost of leaving cans just because, is excessive, the machine should warn you well in advance, that's the reason for my question

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elmaligno View Post
    we use this solution for some customers, but when you have more than 3500 machines, the cost of leaving cans just because, is excessive, the machine should warn you well in advance, that's the reason for my question
    Yeah but it's the reality since it's just designed badly. We also ran into more serious issues when KMs famous half-filled toner ended up in the field during the time of toner shortage - fleet remaining calculation couldn't cope and we received many "unfriendly" calls. Since then, many customers don't have just a spare wast bottle but also spare toners since they lost their trust in the fleet solution.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    Yeah but it's the reality since it's just designed badly. We also ran into more serious issues when KMs famous half-filled toner ended up in the field during the time of toner shortage - fleet remaining calculation couldn't cope and we received many "unfriendly" calls. Since then, many customers don't have just a spare wast bottle but also spare toners since they lost their trust in the fleet solution.
    When you put half toners into machine fleet solutions will report decrease from 100% to 50% normally then it drops suddenly from 50 to zero in a blink There is KM switch I believe to be set and machine read half toners as half but then it won't report full toners correct, you can choose your own poison thanks to KM
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    When you put half toners into machine fleet solutions will report decrease from 100% to 50% normally then it drops suddenly from 50 to zero in a blink There is KM switch I believe to be set and machine read half toners as half but then it won't report full toners correct, you can choose your own poison thanks to KM
    There is a special firmware for half toners: "GG2-N4 Firmware to measure Gas Gauge correctly when using the half toner bottle"