750i documnet feeder multi feed sensor.

Anybody using the ultrasonic multi feed detection sensors on the 750i document feeder?
    I need to go thru the manual to get it to work and will do that in the next week.
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Re: 750i documnet feeder multi feed sensor.

Lots of problems with these from the factory, at least on the slower model machines. When enabled, they would set a service code related to calibration if I remember correctly. There is a firmware update and a hardware revision to correct these issues. We just got in the habit of disabling them as we had so many customers getting the service code, and at the time there was no fix for the issue. We had a few techs attempt to calibrate them based on the service manual, but you need special sheets of paper which weren't available to purchase and only came when buying a new sensor. We tried with the obvious regular paper and card stock paper, but it didn't help.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    Lots of problems with these from the factory, at least on the slower model machines. When enabled, they would set a service code related to calibration if I remember correctly. There is a firmware update and a hardware revision to correct these issues. We just got in the habit of disabling them as we had so many customers getting the service code, and at the time there was no fix for the issue. We had a few techs attempt to calibrate them based on the service manual, but you need special sheets of paper which weren't available to purchase and only came when buying a new sensor. We tried with the obvious regular paper and card stock paper, but it didn't help.
    Thanks for the heads up. Its at a legal office that can not afford any multi feeds. The department they get the summons papers from does not seem to care where they staple the documents and the after removing the staples the holes punched are still causing the paper to bind together. Will give it a go.
    I see that some of the C558 got them but the 758's and the 958's don't. I .did not even know about this until I found it installed on a 750i .but not enabled.

I am familiar with the ultrasonic sensors for working on production machines and on some of the B1250 machines I had to disable the function due to false jams it caused. Seems like the calibration can be a little fiddly when you work with different gsm paper stock.

Is this something the user can enable and disable under the scan settings if needed. I still don't have much of an idea on how to set it up but I am sure the manual will help me along.
    Whatever

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Anybody using the ultrasonic multi feed detection sensors on the 750i document feeder?
    I need to go thru the manual to get it to work and will do that in the next week.
    Looked up adjustment in the 750i service manual it says this adjustment is not used.
    I.15.16. Multi-Feed DetectionAdj

• Not used

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Thanks for the heads up. Its at a legal office that can not afford any multi feeds. The department they get the summons papers from does not seem to care where they staple the documents and the after removing the staples the holes punched are still causing the paper to bind together. Will give it a go.
    I see that some of the C558 got them but the 758's and the 958's don't. I .did not even know about this until I found it installed on a 750i .but not enabled.

I am familiar with the ultrasonic sensors for working on production machines and on some of the B1250 machines I had to disable the function due to false jams it caused. Seems like the calibration can be a little fiddly when you work with different gsm paper stock.

Is this something the user can enable and disable under the scan settings if needed. I still don't have much of an idea on how to set it up but I am sure the manual will help me along.
    I had a bit more time to look around and I don't see any mention anywhere about the 750i having issues with the multi-feed sensor, so perhaps this only applied to the slower i-models.

The setting can be enabled and disabled by the user. According to the manual the setting is in Utility -> System Settings -> Multi-Feed Detection Setting. It has an On/Off selection.

Looked at the service manual for replacement of the sensor. It tells you to replace the transmitter and receiver as a set, but makes no mention of a need to calibrate them after replacement. Later on in the manual, under Multi-Feed DetectionAdj in service mode, it states "Not Used". I have to assume that the sensors used in the DF-713 must be different than those used in the slower model machines. There doesn't appear to be a way to, or need to calibrate them. It's probably going to be one of those, give it a go and see if it works for them type of things.

One final thought. I'm not sure if your customer would do this, but we had a customer that would apply labels to some of their papers prior to scanning them. I believe they were address labels, but I can't say for sure as it was another tech that dealt with it. Definitely not a good idea in any case, but try telling that to the customer. We ended up turning off the sensor in their machine because every time one of those sheets with a label on it was fed through the ADF, it would cause a multi-sheet feed jam to pop up as the paper was thicker where the label was. At least in this case the sensor was working properly. Operator error.
    Last edited by femaster; 06-08-2023 at 04:33 AM.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Markks View Post
    Looked up adjustment in the 750i service manual it says this adjustment is not used.
    I.15.16. Multi-Feed DetectionAdj

• Not used

Here are instructions for the 300i series . Not sure if 750i adjust the same or the part number for the paper to use to adjust.

15.16 Multi-Feed DetectionAdj
    • To display the sensor value used for multi feed detection sensor adjustment.
    • Used after the double feed detection board is replaced.
    • Used after the Df control board is replaced.
    <Target model>
    • DF-714
    NOTE
    ▪ The adjustment sheets are furnished with the multi feed detection board/TX (MFDB/TX), multi feed detection board/RX (MFDB/
    RX), multi feed receiver board (MFRB) or DF control board (DFCB).
    <Procedure>
    1. Remove the separation roller assy of the dual scan document feeder.
    E.3.3.3 Replacing the separation roller assy
    NOTE
    ▪ Make sure to remove the separation roller assy before making adjustment. Otherwise, the adjustment sheet can be damaged.
    bizhub 360i/300i I SERVICE MODE > 15. ADF
    I-99
    2. Touch [Adj.(Thin)].
    3. Place two adjustment sheets (thin) in the document feed tray.
    NOTE
    ▪ Place the sheets with the laminated side facing the paper port.
    4. Touch [Start].
    • The measurement results are displayed on the panel.
    5. Touch [Adj.(Thick)].
    6. Place the adjustment sheet (thick) in the document feed tray.
    7. Press the Start key.
    • The measurement results are displayed on the panel.
    8. The adjustment value of the multi-feed judgment threshold and the check result are displayed on the panel.
    9. If the adjustment result is NG, make adjustment again.
    NOTE
    ▪ Check the adjustment sheet, since a wrong sheet may also result in NG.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Embedded DF in 750i(DF-713) doesn't seem to be affected of DF-714 problems.

This is from parts modification of DF-714, so KM recently changed DF control board and multi feed detection sensor.

Due to the influence of noise, there is a possibility of erroneous detection of double feeding.
    The following changes have been implemented to secure a margin against noise.

- The resistance (R251) value of "PWB Assembly (DFCB with jig paper)" has been changed. (0k ohm => 27k ohm)
    - The resistance (R29) value of "Receiver Board with jig paper Kit" has been changed. (47k ohm => 20k ohm)
    - FW version has been changed as follows
    Main FW: Ver.G00-N4 => Ver.G00-N5
    DF FW: Ver.G00-03 => Ver.G00-04
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

When I get customers who have problems with hole punched paper, I get them to use the "Preview" function, and tell them to scan the document upside down, so the punched holes go in last. you tell the machine which way up the document is scanned, and it turns it the right way up for you
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Quote Originally Posted by kingarthur View Post
    When I get customers who have problems with hole punched paper, I get them to use the "Preview" function, and tell them to scan the document upside down, so the punched holes go in last. you tell the machine which way up the document is scanned, and it turns it the right way up for you

Yea I have instructed them on changing the orientation but its an issue for them to rotate the documents correctly. By the time they get the documents there are about five different places it was stapled and removed...

I got to that customer today and enabled the multi feed detection function on all there 750i and it seems to work ok. Thanks for the help and info.
    The 750i DF is much better than on the 758 machines. Could be only firmware but the 750i does retry the feed if it fails the first time.
    They had B423 machines a couple of years ago and I must say the RADF on those was a lot better than the newer DF's, just slow without the dual scan.
    Last edited by allan; 06-08-2023 at 09:18 PM.
    Whatever