658e Paper Tray 1 and 2 locked

Hi folks,

Tray 1 and 2 on a 658e I am servicing show the lights indicating they are empty, but the handles are locked, meaning I cannot pull them open. I don't have a manual for this machine, only a 754e, and did not find any mention of drawer locks. Perhaps its a newer feature, but in any case, I cannot get the trays to open. Tray 3 works fine.

I went to service mode, set the trays in problem isolating, and unset them again, but still no dice. They appear on the screen and are selectable and configurable in copy mode, but I jsut cant get them opened. Any tips? Or a 658e manual maybe

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

Re: 658e Paper Tray 1 and 2 locked

but those trays dont lock.
    the little white pawl that catches and releases the tray is probably stuck or broken.
    push the drawer in while pulling the handle and or jiggle the drawer in and out.
    when you pull the handle, part 10 rotates pulling part 9. it pulls part # 9 to the left releasing it from the frame of the copier so it can open.

also sent you a PM.
    thanks for being a contributor!!

Attached Images Attached Images
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    but those trays dont lock.
    the little white pawl that catches and releases the tray is probably stuck or broken.
    push the drawer in while pulling the handle and or jiggle the drawer in and out.
    when you pull the handle, part 10 rotates pulling part 9. it pulls part # 9 to the left releasing it from the frame of the copier so it can open.

also sent you a PM.
    thanks for being a contributor!!

Yea its confusing to explain to the customer that you need to push and pull at the same time. KM never seemed to bother to much to fix that issue. I instruct all my customers to use there left hand to push on the drawer face while pulling on the tray handle with the right hand. Also that they should not open the tray or to add paper if the tray is not completely empty. That eliminates most of the C-0204 type errors where paper gets stuck behind the trays.

I think if the paper feed unit has been loosened with out the trays pulled out all the way it can jam the trays up so that it can't pull out with out correcting the position of the feed unit.
    Whatever

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

ive tried adding grease to that "pintle" that sticks out but when they close the tray too hard the belly button pops back in the hole and now wont stay closed at all.
    its a lose-lose design for sure.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

some people close the paper trays like they are bowling for a strike

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Not sure if it is the case with this one, but we had a customer close a drawer so hard once that the metal stopper tab on part #4 in the previously posted parts diagram actually got caught on the rear of the frame in the copier. I don't recall what model it was on, might have been a 4e model. The tech ended up taking off the rear covers (and might have had to swing the board cage open some) so that he could push the tray arm over so the tab would release from the rear frame of the copier. After that that tray work like normal.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...