Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Biz 8 series drums?

Biz 8 series drums?

I've only rebuilt the 8 series drum units with new drum, cleaning blade, PCR, PCR cleaning roller & chip. Instead of rebuilding drums which cost almost as much as OEM black drum was thinking about just buying black drum units and converting to color.

Can you convert a black drum to color by swapping blue end cap & chip? Or is there anything else that has to be done?

Think I've seen this discussed here on forum.

Thanks in advance

Senior Tech 100+ Posts elmaligno's Avatar

Re: Biz 8 series drums?

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    I've only rebuilt the 8 series drum units with new drum, cleaning blade, PCR, PCR cleaning roller & chip. Instead of rebuilding drums which cost almost as much as OEM black drum was thinking about just buying black drum units and converting to color.

Can you convert a black drum to color by swapping blue end cap & chip? Or is there anything else that has to be done?

Think I've seen this discussed here on forum.

Thanks in advance
    Blue piece no:
    1-A separator that it carries behind that blue piece (it is the one that marks the distance to the developing unit),
    2-The chip and
    3-A small casing that is attached to the middle of the drum with a very small screw, which is the one that prevents the drum k from entering in the CMY hole.
    If you put a color one next to a black one with my instructions, you will easily find those parts.
    Field technician since 1994

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Biz 8 series drums?

Quote Originally Posted by elmaligno View Post
    Blue piece no:
    1-A separator that it carries behind that blue piece (it is the one that marks the distance to the developing unit),
    2-The chip and
    3-A small casing that is attached to the middle of the drum with a very small screw, which is the one that prevents the drum k from entering in the CMY hole.
    If you put a color one next to a black one with my instructions, you will easily find those parts.

That's all we've been doing for years. OEM K to color as he says. Just use the DV spacers coming out of the old YMC drums i your new OEM K drums. There have been at least 2-3 versions. Some 1 piece. some 2 piece. No matter. Just use the ones that worked fine & don't intermingle old version with new version.
    So far, my inspection of i-series is same procedure, same chip to convert K to YMC. Only the the black plastic stopper that was screwed on an 8 series is now a formed tab that must be broken off.