• Show
Clear All
  • brent
    Service Manager

Site Contributor
    1,000+ Posts
    • Nov 2008

bizhub 458e add toner wont go off

I am not sure if this is like my other issues that I was having with the 658e basically the toner add indicator wont go off
    and it was spilling toner from under the bottle all over the door and drawers. so I know good enought to know it needed a toner hopper
    and today I replaced the toner hopper (fun) and the dv unit was at like 2 percent. so it got one of those too and the drum was worn down
    so it got one of those too.. well to my dismay it still was calling for toner when I got the unit all back together.. I did notice that when it was all
    back together I could not install the toner bottle until I removed and slid the shudder over. I even went into manual toner add and it worked for
    one spin. then in state comfirmation it shows the toner level at like 6.78 so the developer unit has toner (plus its brand new today) so my question is
    do I need it to use toner and try to add to turn off the toner add indicator ? just a little interesting how its full but wants more
    any thoughts on something I have overlooked? thank you guys so much
    brent
  • allan
    RTFM!!

5,000+ Posts
    • Apr 2010

Re: bizhub 458e add toner wont go off

Originally posted by brent
    I am not sure if this is like my other issues that I was having with the 658e basically the toner add indicator wont go off
    and it was spilling toner from under the bottle all over the door and drawers. so I know good enought to know it needed a toner hopper
    and today I replaced the toner hopper (fun) and the dv unit was at like 2 percent. so it got one of those too and the drum was worn down
    so it got one of those too.. well to my dismay it still was calling for toner when I got the unit all back together.. I did notice that when it was all
    back together I could not install the toner bottle until I removed and slid the shudder over. I even went into manual toner add and it worked for
    one spin. then in state comfirmation it shows the toner level at like 6.78 so the developer unit has toner (plus its brand new today) so my question is
    do I need it to use toner and try to add to turn off the toner add indicator ? just a little interesting how its full but wants more
    any thoughts on something I have overlooked? thank you guys so much
    brent
    Shizer. That is something I have never had before. You say it just keeps adding toner to an already full hopper. So its not adding from the hopper to the tank? Else you should get like a C-2558 error. You replaced the hopper. You say the machine is indicating to replace the toner bottle? That is weird. You can force a new article detection using engine sw 34 set to on.

Apologies not being of much help here.
    Whatever

Comment

• brent
      Service Manager

Site Contributor
      1,000+ Posts
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by allan
      Shizer. That is something I have never had before. You say it just keeps adding toner to an already full hopper. So its not adding from the hopper to the tank? Else you should get like a C-2558 error. You replaced the hopper. You say the machine is indicating to replace the toner bottle? That is weird. You can force a new article detection using engine sw 34 set to on.

all good. lol I am not getting any c2557 or 2558 codes I have been through those enough already. but the toner add indicator wont go off
      maybe it will today it may just need some more copies on it.. its all o em developer unit toner drum toner hopper etc I will check more into it tomorrow
      to see if the indicator went off.. just irritating that it was even on after r eplacing all those parts lol

thanks brent

Comment

• BR549
        Senior Tech

Site Contributor
        100+ Posts
        • Apr 2009

Sounds like you may have missed plugging a connector back in. The one that goes to the hopper empty sensor. Or, since these toner bottles have a chip in them, the machine knows whether or not you put the same toner bottle back in or a new one. On some of these machines, once the machine decides that toner bottle is empty, the message won't go away until you put a different bottle in. So the machine will recognize you put a new bottle in.

Comment

• BR549
          Senior Tech

Site Contributor
          100+ Posts
          • Apr 2009

Allan, I was wondering if you could elaborate on that forcing of a new article detection. I have the latest service manual for this machine and I don't see anything about it. Says engine sw 34 not used. Is there a bulletin? Thanks

Comment

• brent
            Service Manager

Site Contributor
            1,000+ Posts
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by BR549
            Sounds like you may have missed plugging a connector back in. The one that goes to the hopper empty sensor. Or, since these toner bottles have a chip in them, the machine knows whether or not you put the same toner bottle back in or a new one. On some of these machines, once the machine decides that toner bottle is empty, the message won't go away until you put a different bottle in. So the machine will recognize you put a new bottle in.
            ok I did check yesterday the connectors on the back of the hopper (2) are plugged in. I changed toner bottles as well. so I am not sure why its still acting up[
            I had been using non oem toner.. now it has oem toner.. I think it just doesnt like me lol thanks

brent

Comment

• KMFLT3CH
              Trusted Tech

100+ Posts
              • May 2017

Allan, I was wondering if you could elaborate on that forcing of a new article detection. I have the latest service manual for this machine and I don't see anything about it. Says engine sw 34 not used. Is there a bulletin? Thanks
              reset toner reset.jpg

This resets the toner gauge to 100%, regardless of how much toner is left in the bottle.
              Works on color 8 series and color i series (A3)
              I don't think I've ever tried it on a monochrome model but it's worth a try.

Comment

• allan
                RTFM!!

5,000+ Posts
                • Apr 2010

On the 8 series you can reset the toner level indicators back to full using engine switches.
                Whatever

Comment

• brent
                  Service Manager

Site Contributor
                  1,000+ Posts
                  • Nov 2008

On the 8 series you can reset the toner level indicators back to full using engine switches.
                  so is that what you would do if the toner add indicator was just on and wouldnt shut off? the machine won't shut down which is good lol

brent

Comment

• tsbservice
                    Field tech

Site Contributor
                    5,000+ Posts
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by KMFLT3CH
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]61721[/ATTACH]

This resets the toner gauge to 100%, regardless of how much toner is left in the bottle.
                    Works on color 8 series and color i series (A3)
                    I don't think I've ever tried it on a monochrome model but it's worth a try.
                    I'm not sure if it will work on monochrome but I guess we will find out soon. As you I did it on 8 series color where it's not in manual but will perfectly work.
                    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
                    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Comment

• allan
                      RTFM!!

5,000+ Posts
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by brent
                      so is that what you would do if the toner add indicator was just on and wouldnt shut off? the machine won't shut down which is good lol

brent
                      Like tsb mentioned I have also done the engine sw on the 8 series color machines sw 31 32 33 34 for YMCK. Please correct me if I got this wrong. Can't remember if I did that on a monochrome or not and if K if the same value 34. It will get the machine out of a toner low condition but unfortunately it will not get it out of a toner end condition. Replacing the toner chip should help for that only if you can manage to get the hopper full if it was empty.

A pinched wire may be in this case?
                      Whatever

Comment

• KMFLT3CH
                        Trusted Tech

100+ Posts
                        • May 2017

It will get the machine out of a toner low condition but unfortunately it will not get it out of a toner end condition
                        Oh it definitely will get it out of a toner end condition, can confirm as I just did it last week on a C750i that was completely down and "out" of K toner.

Bottle was full but there was a broken plastic Joint (ACKN240700) inside the toner bottle drive assembly. Machine kept turning the drive gears but the broken Joint was not grabbing the back of the bottle so the machine went to toner empty status after some time of trying to spin the bottle.

Installed new TB drive assembly, reset K toner engine switch and she's back in business. These switches have saved my ass countless times.

Comment

Working...