Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Technician
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    dublin
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    7

    Konica C450i Intermittent Paper Empty

    Hello all,
    Has anyone else come across and issue with the C450i machines were it will show an intermittent "paper empty" in tray 1?

    we now have 2 machines in the field that will show a random "paper empty" in the middle of a print job despite the try being full.
    it can also happen when the tray is opened and closed having just added paper. no effort is made to lift the tray (motor doesn't turn) and the orange paper empty light will come on immediately when the tray is closed. opening and closing the tray a number of times will, eventually, get it to lift and show full.

    Both machines have around 150k on them and are on the latest Q9 firmware.
    So far I've replaced the paper empty sensor in the pickup assembly and also the tray lift mechanism at the back of the machine. neither has solved the issue.
    I have a new pickup assembly on order (fingers crossed) but thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has had a similar issue?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Konica C450i Intermittent Paper Empty


    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    207
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Konica C450i Intermittent Paper Empty

    Quote Originally Posted by copytechtrouble View Post
    Hello all,
    Has anyone else come across and issue with the C450i machines were it will show an intermittent "paper empty" in tray 1?

    we now have 2 machines in the field that will show a random "paper empty" in the middle of a print job despite the try being full.
    it can also happen when the tray is opened and closed having just added paper. no effort is made to lift the tray (motor doesn't turn) and the orange paper empty light will come on immediately when the tray is closed. opening and closing the tray a number of times will, eventually, get it to lift and show full.

    Both machines have around 150k on them and are on the latest Q9 firmware.
    So far I've replaced the paper empty sensor in the pickup assembly and also the tray lift mechanism at the back of the machine. neither has solved the issue.
    I have a new pickup assembly on order (fingers crossed) but thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has had a similar issue?

    thanks
    Not exactly related but i had an issue where paper would just feed out pass the feed rollers of tray 1 and stop every time, replacing the whole paper feed assy fixed it, i was told by tech support to try that.

  3. #3
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,131
    Rep Power
    346

    Re: Konica C450i Intermittent Paper Empty

    I'm curious did you see that in action or customers are reporting an issue?
    Are those machines equipped with intelligent media sensor?
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

    I don't reply to private messages from end users.

  4. #4
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    826
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Konica C450i Intermittent Paper Empty

    The upper limit sensor for the feed roller (not the out of paper sensor) is going faulty on that tray. Had quite a few do this.

    Also this fault can be associated with paper feed jams as the tray doesn’t lift up correctly during a run.

    Hope this helps.

  5. #5
    Technician
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    dublin
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Konica C450i Intermittent Paper Empty

    Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    I'm curious did you see that in action or customers are reporting an issue?
    Are those machines equipped with intelligent media sensor?
    Yes I've personally seen it in action.
    these machines also have the paper type detection sensor as standard but we switch it off on all machines at setup as we have found that it can cause issues with certain custom software some of our clients use.

  6. #6
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Konica C450i Intermittent Paper Empty


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,900
    Rep Power
    70

    Re: Konica C450i Intermittent Paper Empty

    Quote Originally Posted by copytechtrouble View Post
    Yes I've personally seen it in action.
    these machines also have the paper type detection sensor as standard but we switch it off on all machines at setup as we have found that it can cause issues with certain custom software some of our clients use.

    auto paper type would be amazing feature if it actually worked but i dont think any tech has ever said "oh good thing it auto detected the paper type correctly or it might of smudged"

  7. #7
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    A Small City in MI
    Posts
    1,277
    Rep Power
    97

    Re: Konica C450i Intermittent Paper Empty

    Quote Originally Posted by rrrohan View Post
    auto paper type would be amazing feature if it actually worked but i dont think any tech has ever said "oh good thing it auto detected the paper type correctly or it might of smudged"
    Great idea in theory, but in actual use it's a failure.

    What we have found is that customers generally only want to use special paper a few sheets at a time, and only on a rare occasion. If you tell them they can put it in the regular trays because it will auto detect the paper type, they tend to open the drawer and throw just enough sheets of their special paper in the tray to get the job done, but put it on top of their regular paper. So now because the drawer was opened, the auto detection system is activated. They run the job on their thick (or whatever type) paper, the machine detects it and sets the tray for that type of paper, and the job goes off without a hitch. Now because they threw those few sheets of thick paper on top of their regular paper, the customer doesn't need to open the drawer and put the regular paper back in, so the machine never activates the auto detection system and the tray remains set to thick (or whatever) paper type. Now it's service call time because the machine won't print due to "incorrect paper size or type" messages. Complaints that the customer has to walk up to the copier and "select the paper tray" each time they want to print, if they are even smart enough to do that, but then it's "printing (or copying) really slow now", etc. No thanks!
    Last edited by femaster; 02-23-2024 at 09:12 PM.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

  8. #8
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,131
    Rep Power
    346

    Thumbs up Re: Konica C450i Intermittent Paper Empty

    Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    Great idea in theory, but in actual use it's a failure.

    What we have found is that customers generally only want to use special paper a few sheets at a time, and only on a rare occasion. If you tell them they can put it in the regular trays because it will auto detect the paper type, they tend to open the drawer and throw just enough sheets of their special paper in the tray to get the job done, but put it on top of their regular paper. So now because the drawer was opened, the auto detection system is activated. They run the job on their thick (or whatever type) paper, the machine detects it and sets the tray for that type of paper, and the job goes off without a hitch. Now because they threw those few sheets of thick paper on top of their regular paper, the customer doesn't need to open the drawer and put the regular paper back in, so the machine never activates the auto detection system and the tray remains set to thick (or what) paper type. Now it's service call time because the machine won't print due to "incorrect paper size or type" messages. Complaints that the customer has to walk up to the copier and "select the paper tray" each time the want to print, if they are even smart enough to do that, but then it's "printing (or copying) really slow now", etc. No thanks!
    Haha 😂 well described.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

    I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here