Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Update on Scanner Drive Belt failure, C-360i series...

Update on Scanner Drive Belt failure, C-360i series...

So, I had my first one of these throw a scanner code the other day. Had a heck of a time getting information on it from tech support, but basically, it turned out the scanner drive belt was bad.

I brought one with me from another machine, but when I got out there, I was surprised what I found. Not only was the belt broken/shredded (machine only had 60K on it) but both the original belt and the new belt were both very STIFF.. this is unlike most cog style drive belts you'd had any experience with in the past.... I believe this rigidity and lack of pliability was what was causing these belts to break. Maybe they're getting them from a cheap supplier, but the part number hadn't changed (??)

Additionally, I couldn't even get the new belt on without releasing some of the motor tension. I'm sure part of the reason for belt breakage also has to do with how tight the tension was adjusted from the factory. I know this is addressed in the bulletin on this issue that they sent me, but I would venture that I'm going to need to go into these things now and check every one of them for motor tension and release some of that. I don't know whose idea it was to tighten them that much, but it was a bad idea.

Hope this helps someone!
    OC

Senior Tech 250+ Posts avecosat's Avatar

Re: Update on Scanner Drive Belt failure, C-360i series...

I have changed a few belts due to breakage or noise, I usually carry a couple of them in my suitcase.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Isn't the holder of the belt pressure roller "spring loaded". Usually you just need to loosen the screw and let that spring define the pressure and then tighten the screw angain.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    Isn't the holder of the belt pressure roller "spring loaded". Usually you just need to loosen the screw and let that spring define the pressure and then tighten the screw angain.
    That's correct. I have changed so many of them and never came back.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Yep - same part no - different quality. Don't you have to remove the motor to fit the belt, then tighten the screws once it's in place
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingarthur View Post
    Yep - same part no - different quality. Don't you have to remove the motor to fit the belt, then tighten the screws once it's in place
    Yes motor to be removed then without connecting it should be spring loaded and 3 screw tighten in specific order.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I take that spring off and tension it manually. The strength of that spring is ridiculous. The belt only needs to move the mirrors, not the flipping Titanic😀.

There is a Tech Bulletin for this issue

Find attached
    • PSKM_BT2012378EN.pdf (700.3 KB)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
    There is a Tech Bulletin for this issue

Find attached
    • PSKM_BT2012378EN.pdf (700.3 KB)

TBH, I'm not sure that'll make much difference - it's due to the quality of the belts - they're crap, as I said before, it's the same part no on the previous series, but the quality is completely different. We use the belts from the previous series, which have and are working fine
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

There is a Free of Charge that you can get these from KM. I the warranty part for the service.

Hope this helps