Technician

BHC 4050I Waste toner backing up , eventually grinds , clicks

Hi all , just wondering if anyone has come across the BHC 4050i backing up around where the waste from the transfer belt to the waste toner bottle? I have one that had this , so i was able to remove the Tbelt , and clean out the backing up waste toner, which was fine then , no more clicking , but a week or two later they call saying there is a pile of toner there on the waste side. Originally there was waste toner piled up in the machine on the waste side and it seemed the waste box was nearly empty. I also made sure the chute between the transfer belt waste transport and the waste box was clear. Has anyone had to deal with this or know anything about it? thanks

Re: BHC 4050I Waste toner backing up , eventually grinds , clicks

There was a spring tension issue that caused the waste box and transfer belt shutter that prevents spillage not to open all the way. That was on the A3 i series machines.
    In that case removing both shutters will eliminate the possibility of that, but will require a technician to empty or replace it so that the spilled waste toner can be cleaned.

Its possible that there is a builtin on this issue.

We avoided this model completely opting for Brother color machines instead of these horrid POS models.
    Whatever

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I would suspect the waste box is faulty.

Check the paddle, visible from the waste toner inlet, is moving up and down correctly.

Ive had quite a few fail and the toner doesn’t get drawn into the box correctly.

Also make sure the drive gear on the box is actually there. Had a couple of those fall off in the past.

Hope this helps.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts KMFLT3CH's Avatar

Make sure the plastic finger on the rotating assembly isn't snapped off, this is what engages the dump from the belt into the chute. If it's broken the toner builds up inside the belt's auger and eventually makes noise.

tbfinger.JPG

Make certain the chute is clean, take a short skinny screwdriver or dental pick and stick it through the bottom, you should be able to see the tool pop out through the top of the chute by looking into the machine from the right side door.

The belt has plastic guides on each side, make sure they are sliding onto the metal rails in the machine.

The waste bottle's shutter could be binding up, not opening. You can take the spring out and slide the gate back and reinstall it. Check the drive too it should be smooth. I've seen plenty that are faulty.

My first time coming across toner dumping inside on this model I put the belt back in not noticing the guide rails so the belt went in crooked. Trying to yank it back out and my thumb went right through the belt material because I had to grip it so hard, ripped open a 3 inch hole and had to go grab a new belt. Good times

Technician

Look on THIS POST about toner supply.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stronghold View Post
    Look on THIS POST about toner supply.
    His issue is a bit different
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tech51 View Post
    I would suspect the waste box is faulty.

Check the paddle, visible from the waste toner inlet, is moving up and down correctly.

Ive had quite a few fail and the toner doesn’t get drawn into the box correctly.

Also make sure the drive gear on the box is actually there. Had a couple of those fall off in the past.

Hope this helps.
    I would second that. See attached.

Improvement of waste toner box.pdf
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.