Technician

Replace Hardrive C458. and color patern on scan

I have a C458, when I scan I get a color pattern on all the scans. It prints fine. There also appear to be a problem with the harddrive as the printer refused to boot swapped the drive with SSD and the machine boot but I can not format the new drive. So do I need a specific drive or is there something else wrong with the machine?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: Replace Hardrive C458. and color patern on scan

Can you enter admin mode? Format can be done there.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by cube10025@gmail.com View Post
    So do I need a specific drive or is there something else wrong with the machine?
    A blank disk is fine but it needs to be larger or the same size as the original disk removed from the machine.

If memory serves correctly, they stamp a partition table onto the disk in a set size. If the disk is bigger it just leaves empty space unused at the end of the disk.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Duplicator View Post
    A blank disk is fine but it needs to be larger or the same size as the original disk removed from the machine.

If memory serves correctly, they stamp a partition table onto the disk in a set size. If the disk is bigger it just leaves empty space unused at the end of the disk.
    I see thanks, it was a 128gb less than before. Format stuck at 0%. I was however able to format the original HDD now, the machine refused to boot before donīt know why.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I see thanks, it was a 128gb less than before. Format stuck at 0%. I was however able to format the original HDD now, the machine refused to boot before donīt know why.

try running the reset tool. but even though the hdd was able to be formatted there is a chance you could have a bad hdd. If memory is correct I believe that machine has a 328gb hdd. I have used 500gb ssd with no problem

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Markks View Post
    try running the reset tool. but even though the hdd was able to be formatted there is a chance you could have a bad hdd. If memory is correct I believe that machine has a 328gb hdd. I have used 500gb ssd with no problem
    I won't run reset tool because of bad HDD. Another one with same or bigger capacity and machine will use what it needs after format. SSD should be OK too but I never tried it on 8 series.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    I won't run reset tool because of bad HDD. Another one with same or bigger capacity and machine will use what it needs after format. SSD should be OK too but I never tried it on 8 series.

Your right, I should have clarified my answer better. If you know hdd or ssd is good and machine wont boot then try the reset tool. I have put SSD in several 8 series with no problem. The way I do it is boot straight into service mode via the reset screen and do a logical format of the SSD then turn off and the load firmware

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Minimum size drive would be 320GB. You can use larger, but needs to be at least that big.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

I was however able to format the original HDD now, the machine refused to boot before donīt know why.
    It is possible to format bad HDDs and for the Konica to think it's "fine". It is just a computer hard disk really. All the usual sets of tools work. Things like Spinrite, SMART status utilities, ect. When we pull a hard disk it gets tested for SMART status. We find many of them that have re-allocated sectors (disk is failing). If it's going to be used as a spare it gets the partition table blanked before it goes into the next machine.

If it starts failing to boot again, Koncia has a document that contains "The Initial Operation during MFP start Up". Essentially it's a chart of lights and items displayed on the screen that help diagnose a machine failing to start.

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    Minimum size drive would be 320GB. You can use larger, but needs to be at least that big.
    Thanks, couldn't remember the right size.