Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bizhub 287 printing issue

image.jpg

I have not been repairing copiers long, but this one has me baffled. This is a bh287 and as you can see in the picture there is a grey stripe on the leading edge of the page. This has been happening on and off with this machine for a while. I have only recently gotten involved with it. This first cropped up and a tech changed a drum for it and it cleared up. Then shorlty after they were having a blotch on the page. Turned out that there was actually a small chunk taken out of the drum coating. For this I replaced the drum and the developer. The developer was changed because the users of this machine said "that happened before the last fix too" and because I could not figure out what carved a piece of the drum, I changed it. Then we had a bit of bad luck. The new developer was toast. It was not printing in small diamond patterns across the page. You could see it on the developer roller. So we replaced it, and this grey stripe reappeared. But it does not happen on every page, ONLY on the first page after turning the MFP on. If you leave it powered up and walk away for hours, no grey stripe. But turn it off and then back on, first page has the stripe. There are also some fine lines perpendicular to the grey stripe and a thin fairly solid line that always runs the long way on the page, no matter what format you are printing in. Here is a summary of what all has been done.

1 two drums have been put in.
    2 three developers have been put it.
    3 2 other fusers have been tried.
    4 the entire paper path has been removed and cleaned and reinstalled.
    5 on a suggestion, both the high voltage boards have been swapped with a known good MFP. The problem has stayed with the original MFP.
    6. This thing has been cleaned from the scanner down, twice just to make sure.
    7. The problem happens on a copy, a print from a computer, a print from a USB, and also an internally generated report.

Does anyone have even a wild idea? At this point in time I am even entertaining aliens and Hail Mary's. I appreciate any ideas you may have.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Bizhub 287 printing issue

Quote Originally Posted by Hoov View Post
    image.jpg

I have not been repairing copiers long, but this one has me baffled. This is a bh287 and as you can see in the picture there is a grey stripe on the leading edge of the page. This has been happening on and off with this machine for a while. I have only recently gotten involved with it. This first cropped up and a tech changed a drum for it and it cleared up. Then shorlty after they were having a blotch on the page. Turned out that there was actually a small chunk taken out of the drum coating. For this I replaced the drum and the developer. The developer was changed because the users of this machine said "that happened before the last fix too" and because I could not figure out what carved a piece of the drum, I changed it. Then we had a bit of bad luck. The new developer was toast. It was not printing in small diamond patterns across the page. You could see it on the developer roller. So we replaced it, and this grey stripe reappeared. But it does not happen on every page, ONLY on the first page after turning the MFP on. If you leave it powered up and walk away for hours, no grey stripe. But turn it off and then back on, first page has the stripe. There are also some fine lines perpendicular to the grey stripe and a thin fairly solid line that always runs the long way on the page, no matter what format you are printing in. Here is a summary of what all has been done.

5 on a suggestion, both the high voltage boards have been swapped with a known good MFP. The problem has stayed with the original MFP.
    7. The problem happens on a copy, a print from a computer, a print from a USB, and also an internally generated report.

Does anyone have even a wild idea? At this point in time I am even entertaining aliens and Hail Mary's. I appreciate any ideas you may have.
    You didn't mention if you changed the transfer belt unless I missed it. Really the only thing left. I recently had one with first page defect and it was transfer belt.
    By the way this 7 series was a real flop by Kon-Min. We call it the ungly step child. You should be able to get a low meter, off lease 8 series and replace that dog. The customer will love you.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

might be a flipped cleaning blade on ITBU that recovers after a few seconds of transfer belt rotation

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    You didn't mention if you changed the transfer belt unless I missed it. Really the only thing left. I recently had one with first page defect and it was transfer belt.
    By the way this 7 series was a real flop by Kon-Min. We call it the ungly step child. You should be able to get a low meter, off lease 8 series and replace that dog. The customer will love you.
    The C287 has a transfer belt if I remember correctly, but the plain jane black only 287 has none. That is what is so confusing about this, as far as I can tell, everything that can cause the problem has been replaced. The only thing I have not done is replace the wiring. And while I don't know copiers that well, I do have a lot of experience with wire. If it happened to every page I might believe it, but only on the first page after starting? Nope. Thanks for the suggestion.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

image.jpg

Are you using genuine Konica Minolta toner & developer ?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Yes.

Service Manager

The C287 has a transfer belt if I remember correctly, but the plain jane black only 287 has none. That is what is so confusing about this, as far as I can tell, everything that can cause the problem has been replaced. The only thing I have not done is replace the wiring. And while I don't know copiers that well, I do have a lot of experience with wire. If it happened to every page I might believe it, but only on the first page after starting? Nope. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Correct, no transfer belt if this is a mono machine. Have you tried swapping the transfer roller? Or the right side door assembly to see what happens. It sure looks like a HV issue. I would check all of the HV contacts for the drum/developer units too.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stech2003 View Post
    Correct, no transfer belt if this is a mono machine. Have you tried swapping the transfer roller? Or the right side door assembly to see what happens. It sure looks like a HV issue. I would check all of the HV contacts for the drum/developer units too.
    +1 to HV issue. Those can be incredible workhorses although I didn't liked them but we had one going past 1.6 million with only scheduled PMs. I believe transfer roller on many KM may be neglected and they seem to run fine with 2-3 life but would double check it in this case as previously said.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

I did clean the transfer roller, but I will see if I can replace it with a donor part. I did also clean the HV contacts, but I will also do that again. They are a bit of a pain to get to. I may not have done them well.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Sorry was thinking it was a C287 with transfer belt.