Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Technician

Couple problems with C652's

Hi all,

We purchased a couple new C652's at the beginning of the year. They're both configured exactly the same -

FS-526 + JS-602 finishers
    PK-516 Punch unit
    2 x fax kits

Problem #1)
    Ever since we've received them and started using them, we've been getting lock-ups/ freezes on both machines.
    Touch screen and buttons on the control pad are unresponsive.
    Power On/Off button on control pad does nothing (soft power off?)
    Units ARE pingable when locked, web interface will not load though.
    Sometimes we had the blue data light flashing, but not always.

Only way to "fix" is to do a hard power off & on with the main switch down by the paper drawers.

The lock-ups happen pretty randomly - sometimes three or four times a day, sometimes a couple days go by... So far it has always happened during business hours.

I've had the techs from the company where we bought the units from in so many times that I think we should set up a cubicle for them. They pretty much just scratch their heads.

I had them update it to the new firmware that came out a couple weeks ago and change it function version 3. Plus (of course) I updated the print drivers to the corresponding new version as well.

Still the lock-ups happen.

Any ideas/tips/suggestions? Any experience with this from other C652's?

Problem 2)
    The units also generate an error (exclamation mark on screen) saying -
    Clean the slit scanner glass located on the far left.

I've cleaned (and had the techs clean) the glass several times and it still comes up.
    The techs said they were going to find a way to just turn off the error message, but that sounds like a bad way to deal with it... Why not find the actual cause?

Any ideas on that one?

Thanks in advance!

Service Manager 100+ Posts
    Couple problems with C652's

I'm have same problem as problem 1 but i also have fierys on them was thinking the fiery was to blame not so sure now reading your post, with problem 2 i'm sure you can alter the sensitivity of slit glass detection.when too sensitive can show up error just for paper dust
    If at First you don't succeed remove all evidence of ever trying!

All things Konica Minolta 1,000+ Posts Stirton.M's Avatar
    Uncharacteristic issues like this happening on two machines is incredibly rare at a single location. From an educated point of view, I am going to lean on the power.

These machines MUST have 20 Amp 120 Volt to operate. Each machine MUST be on a dedicated circuit separate from each other and anything else in the office. I cannot stress that enough. These machines are incredibly reliable when installed in an environment customized to their presence. Sharing a circuit with any other device is asking for trouble, even if it is something that doesn't appear to use a lot of power.

Also, there should be a power conditioner device with these units...the power conditioner is a very sophisticated circuit protection device made by ESP ESP USA > Real Power Protection . Konica Minolta Canada has made it mandatory to sell one of these with every machine. I cannot speak for other countries, but it is highly recommended. The devices ensure that the power is clean and can also filter out transients in the phone and LAN when plugged through the unit. The company that makes these guarantees the equipment on the downstream side. In other words, they pay for the repair/replacement costs if it is damaged while plugged into the device. Very solid and reliable. These devices have solved some of our existing power related issues on older machines, so I stand by them with full endorsement.

That glass issue is an odd one. Is there a code given with it? I cannot find anything in SSD or the service manual specific to that issue.

There are some adjustments that might be needed regarding glass movement. Your techs should have this information in the service manual.
    "Many years ago I chased a woman for almost two years, only to discover that her tastes were exactly like mine: we both were crazy about girls."
    ---Groucho Marx

Please do not PM me for questions related to Konica Minolta hardware.
    I will not answer requests or questions there.
    Please ask in the KM forum for the benefit of others to see the question and give their input.

Technician
    Thanks for the advice Stirton.M - but all of those things are already in place.

I had 20amp dedicated circuits installed (new) for each unit.

They came with the power-conditioners pre-installed / mounted to the back of the units... The exact ESP USA devices you're talking about...

So I don't see how it can be power related...

Technician
    Slow printing or locking up when printing multiple print jobs.
    Solution:
    When the machine is printing multiple print jobs, the machine will cycle between print jobs. This causes the machine to slow down and if the queue fills up enough, it could lock up the machine.

The reason the machine cycles between print jobs is because the machine is checking which printer language (PCL or PS) the next print job is using. To stop this from happening, you have to tell the machine which PDL to use. To accomplish this, please perform the following:

1. Utility
    2. User Settings
    3. Printer Settings
    4. Basic Settings
    5. PDL Settings
    6. Choose PS or PCL, depending on what driver is being used.
    Note: All computers that are printing to this machine will have to use the same printer language as what the machine has defaulted to (PCL or PS).

System Engineer 100+ Posts
    First let me ask:
    1. What type of switch are you using i.e Cisco? Do you have timeout session set on the switch to disable the port if not in use for "X" amount of time?
    2. What speed is the port set to? Switch the port speed to 10 half duplex and also the copier (when you change the speed of the copier make sure to restart the copier or the settings will not apply)
    3. Have you run Wireshark to see if there is a protocol that is causing the unit to lock up?
    4. Disable all protocols not in use like SLP,SNMP on copier
    5. Run the network cable directly from the wall to the copier
    6. Format the HDD and make sure the fax boards are properly seated with the adapter
    7. Is the IP reserve on Server? If so release from reserve list and let it pick up an IP from DHCP server then using the DHCP ip address change the port settings on the PC to use the new given IP and start sending print jobs. This wont be a permament solution but you can test the printer with no restrictions.

Hope this helps....

Technician
    1. It's connected to a Cisco 2960G switch. There is no timeout set - the port is never disabled. I've tried it with both port-fast on and off.
    2. First I had it normal - auto-negotiate. Then when I thought it might be a network problem, I set it gigabit, full duplex - both on the switch & bizhub. Then after more lock-ups, I set it to 100Mb, full duplex - both on the switch and the bizhub. Still lock-ups. I haven't tried 10Mb - half yet... That seems drastic...
    3. I've used Wireshark (it'll always be Ethereal to me) on other things but not the bizhub. It would be hard to keep it it running/logging all the time, since the lock-ups are so random. The logs it generates are so big, I don't know how I'd manage having it logging non-stop for days... I did run it on some other things in the network for a little while (on the same switch) and haven't seen anything abnormal.
    4. Have disabled nearly everything I don't need. Except for snmp - it was off for awhile (and I experienced lock-ups while it was off) but I turned it back on because I discovered it needed snmp on in order for the windows print driver to auto-detect the hardware config...
    5. This is what's in place. It connects directly to the switch in the data closet.
    6. Again, I don't think the techs formatted the hard-drive, so I might have them try that.
    7. It's a static IP.

Technician
    This gives me a little hope...

Will definitely try this (I use the PCL driver everywhere - so I'll set it to PCL - only)...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt25112 View Post
    Slow printing or locking up when printing multiple print jobs.
    Solution:
    When the machine is printing multiple print jobs, the machine will cycle between print jobs. This causes the machine to slow down and if the queue fills up enough, it could lock up the machine.

The reason the machine cycles between print jobs is because the machine is checking which printer language (PCL or PS) the next print job is using. To stop this from happening, you have to tell the machine which PDL to use. To accomplish this, please perform the following:

1. Utility
    2. User Settings
    3. Printer Settings
    4. Basic Settings
    5. PDL Settings
    6. Choose PS or PCL, depending on what driver is being used.
    Note: All computers that are printing to this machine will have to use the same printer language as what the machine has defaulted to (PCL or PS).

System Engineer 100+ Posts
    Change the speed to 10 half duplex on both the sswitch and copier. Also make sure you are the latest firmware on the cisco switch. For some reason or another this switch is notorious for knocking out the printer offline. If you setup LDAP on the unit you could see how if the unit is inactive for a while it will drop from network. Cisco and Bizhub dont play well with each other.
    To keep your wireshard log short you need to only filter the connection from the IP on switch -- IP of server --IP copier this way you dont have a huge log.
    Are you running any vlans? voip?
    I forgot to mention to put an old (if you have any old 10/100 switch) between the copier and port on your wall. let it run on and see if it drops or locks up

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by konisolver View Post
    For some reason or another this switch is notorious for knocking out the printer offline. If you setup LDAP on the unit you could see how if the unit is inactive for a while it will drop from network. Cisco and Bizhub dont play well with each other.
    Are there any documented cases of this I can reference? Seems like these possible incompatibilities (BizHub <-> Cisco) would've been addressed by now, since Cisco is by far the dominant enterprise switch vendor...

And yes, I run VLans... I have a few on that switch but the BizHub is on a normal access port (not trunk) since it's in the default VLan. I have some VoIP as well, but not on that switch... So no, no QoS on that switch...