Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: C6500/C6501 Black spots on Black Drum

This spots on drums thing is an epidemic. KM just released a note today 1/24/2012 admitting there is a problem with both small spots on black and to a lesser degree on yellow as well. Temporary fix is to use a #104 drum from the 7000 series but only on black.

There will be a new drum with production beginning in March that will require a firmware update to make it work right. No doubt the KM site will have the stuff when it arrives.

Do not confuse this problem with the earlier one mentioned above and the change between the 102 lettered drums. This is a different problem altogether.

Like the many comments about ventilation and filters and agree with your techniques but am afraid that has no effect here.

As a temporary measure have tried two things with limited success.
    These work only on new drums. Seems like when a unit is contaminated that's the end - whatever it is is on the brush and can't be removed.

1. Remove the cleaning blade from the drum unit and bend the metal support so that the center is about 1mm closer to the drum than the edges. Idea is to increase the blade pressure in the center where the spots seem to be worse.

2. Disassemble the drum unit and remove the wax bar and tension springs. Take the crossbar off, both main bearings out and remove the end plate with the two white gears. Out comes the drum cylinder. Carefully remove the stick-on seal around the cleaning brush support and pull out the cleaning brush. The wax bar is then right there. Know this sounds hokey but the result is a drum that will go 50K rather than 2k before the spots show up again.
    Last edited by dljorg; 01-24-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Technician

Best thing we did was to start putting C7000 drums in our C6500's. Way less service because of drums and no more having to wipe the black drum every 2k sheets. Oh and its way cheaper.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    C6500/C6501 Black spots on Black Drum

Finally they admitted we were right, once again.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dljorg View Post
    This spots on drums thing is an epidemic. KM just released a note today 1/24/2012 admitting there is a problem with both small spots on black and to a lesser degree on yellow as well. Temporary fix is to use a #104 drum from the 7000 series but only on black.

There will be a new drum with production beginning in March that will require a firmware update to make it work right. No doubt the KM site will have the stuff when it arrives.

Do not confuse this problem with the earlier one mentioned above and the change between the 102 lettered drums. This is a different problem altogether.

Like the many comments about ventilation and filters and agree with your techniques but am afraid that has no effect here.

As a temporary measure have tried two things with limited success.
    These work only on new drums. Seems like when a unit is contaminated that's the end - whatever it is is on the brush and can't be removed.

1. Remove the cleaning blade from the drum unit and bend the metal support so that the center is about 1mm closer to the drum than the edges. Idea is to increase the blade pressure in the center where the spots seem to be worse.

2. Disassemble the drum unit and remove the wax bar and tension springs. Take the crossbar off, both main bearings out and remove the end plate with the two white gears. Out comes the drum cylinder. Carefully remove the stick-on seal around the cleaning brush support and pull out the cleaning brush. The wax bar is then right there. Know this sounds hokey but the result is a drum that will go 50K rather than 2k before the spots show up again.
    Interestingly, why are the spots appearing mainly only on black and yellow? there are various theories doing the rounds relating to temperature/ enviroment, does anyone know the reason for sure? The DU104 drums seem to be doing the trick on my problem machines.

Technician

Someone told me there was a change in the coating on the drum and it would make black stick more easily. Also heard it was a problem with the cleaning blade.

I stopped worrying about it when i went to the du104 also

The latest info I saw about this subject from KM is that it is a problem with the cleaning blade, we were advised to replace the initial cleaning blade from the du-102c with the one that it is fitted du-104 but without giving us a part number for this blade. The main difference between these two is an anti-vibrating piece that is on the cleaning blade of the du-104. Also, if you are doing this, you have to update the firmware on the machine with a version that was not released yet... This last process prevent the cleaning blade to flip, same problem that was present on the first du-102.
    Anyway, it is much easier just to change the du-104 as a whole. I'm not sure if it is cheaper or not.

As everyone has said .................................

Fit Du104 drums and throw the 102 (A B or even C's) into the bin. This is becomming more and more the norm for K-M ! They keep cutting costs and reliability is now suffering.

We have heard excuses about temp , humidity and even too many black and white copies made !!!!!!

After drawing the final line, I'm not sure KM cut the costs. I'm sure a lot of du-102C returned to the manufacturer. I just hope it won't apply the same measure to du-104.

Service Manager 250+ Posts ineo+6501's Avatar

I'm told by a reliable source that KM will soon release a TAD/TNI regarding this in the near future (in the UK).

The fix will be to fit the DU-104 drum.

Quote Originally Posted by ineo+6501 View Post
    I'm told by a reliable source that KM will soon release a TAD/TNI regarding this in the near future (in the UK).

The fix will be to fit the DU-104 drum.
    It is already out. The id is TNEU1200014EN00, it appeared somewhere in the first days of February 2012. This was available for Europe region.