Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts dogsbody's Avatar

Be careful of C250 Fans

A few days ago our junior tech (2 years experience) went to a C250 calling a code for transfer belt separation. After 4 hours I got a call to help. When I arrived he had removed the MFP board looking for some sort of binding - with the amount he had pulled apart I found that the fuser drive was the only siezed gearbox (that turned out to be a melted "transparency" (PVC cover) and was the original fault). While I sorted out the fuser I had him put the machine back together. When power was switched on I almost instantly smelled an "oh shit" smell went to pull the power cord and saw quite a good light show from the power board (next to power supply).
    What had happened was when the two fans were unplugged to remove the MFP Board one fan cable held onto the gender changer the other fan cable did not. What he had done was plug the two fans together plus the two power cables with expensive results.
    There were probably a couple of lessons taken away from this exercise, It is very easy to stuff up cabling if you not paying attention and always double check the work of the apprentice's (you would have had to check this very carefully because when all the cables are plugged in it was easily missed).
    Cheers
    The force will be with you always.

Perhaps it is a good time to remind some of us (nag??) (especially the 'apprentices') to mark connectors and such before they are undone. It is easy to forget which one goes where, especially when it is a machine you have not worked on much before. You cannot always rely on your memory. You can get very fine permanent marker pens that are great for this purpose - I got one at my local electrical wholesaler (ie 'trade only' stuff).

Kendall.

Well We All Are Never To Old Nor To Clever To Learn.

Angry Re: Be careful of C250 Fans

Quote Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
    A few days ago our junior tech (2 years experience) went to a C250 calling a code for transfer belt separation. After 4 hours I got a call to help. When I arrived he had removed the MFP board looking for some sort of binding - with the amount he had pulled apart I found that the fuser drive was the only siezed gearbox (that turned out to be a melted "transparency" (PVC cover) and was the original fault). While I sorted out the fuser I had him put the machine back together. When power was switched on I almost instantly smelled an "oh shit" smell went to pull the power cord and saw quite a good light show from the power board (next to power supply).
    What had happened was when the two fans were unplugged to remove the MFP Board one fan cable held onto the gender changer the other fan cable did not. What he had done was plug the two fans together plus the two power cables with expensive results.
    There were probably a couple of lessons taken away from this exercise, It is very easy to stuff up cabling if you not paying attention and always double check the work of the apprentice's (you would have had to check this very carefully because when all the cables are plugged in it was easily missed).
    Cheers
    i made this same mistake 13 yrs after you posted this piece, it was a bitter experience that ive learnt from!!!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Be careful of C250 Fans

Re: Be careful of C250 Fans

Quote Originally Posted by wagon View Post
    Perhaps it is a good time to remind some of us (nag??) (especially the 'apprentices') to mark connectors and such before they are undone. It is easy to forget which one goes where, especially when it is a machine you have not worked on much before. You cannot always rely on your memory. You can get very fine permanent marker pens that are great for this purpose - I got one at my local electrical wholesaler (ie 'trade only' stuff).

Kendall.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Marking connectors and taking photos as you pull bits off works for me and my ageing memory

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Be careful of C250 Fans

No sure if but think there is a new C250?

If not the new model at least if you fried a board it happen to an old obsolete C250. If you can find one at a wholesaler it should no more than $50-$100 for the whole machine!

Let me know if you need anything I have 2 working machines I'll strip for parts.
    Last edited by copyman; 09-05-2020 at 01:55 AM.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Be careful of C250 Fans

Quote Originally Posted by wagon View Post

Kendall.
    It was some time in the 90's that they started keying connectors and color coding connectors to avoid this sort of thing. I got in the habit of checking with each connector removed, to see if it would reach another connector that fits, then mark it if necessary. I only had to smoke test one power supply to learn this lesson.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Be careful of C250 Fans

Quote Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
    Cheers
    C250 or C250i ?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    C250 or C250i ?
    This post and thread are 13 years old, don't think they even dreamed about i-series back then. It's C250.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.