Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Question Bizhub c451 firmware update software / procedure

Let me say straight off, I am not begging for firmware.... I have been tasked with updating firmware on a c451. I cannot find the software for writing the compact flash card on the mykonicaminolta site. I have done update before on the older bizhubs and it was files on a card with a FAT format. From what I can gather, the c451 has a tool called "Firmware Imaging Toolkit 2006" used to write the firmware to the card. So I guess I have 2 questions:
    1. Do I need the writing software for a c451 upgrade?
    2. If so, where the hell do I find it on the mykonicaminolta site?

Thank you in advance.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Technician

Re: Bizhub c451 firmware update software / procedure

Search for it within the CSES "Search Information" with the wording "Firmware Imaging Toolkit". It's third on the list on my screen.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

If you're still having trouble finding the software, PM me with your tech ID. If you're legit, I'll send you via email, or send the link. Emujo

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

First off, thanx for the responses.

I have tried 4gb, 256mb cf card and a 128mb cf card. I have tried using the firmware tool and the command prompt to write the files to the card. Each time, I get an invalid card error at power up. The first call to the hotline, I was told I need a 256mb card. I got one and tried that, same error. Called the hotline a second time and was told to use a 128mb card. When I pointed out that it clearly says this model needs a 256mb, I was told "don't listen to what is in the manual". So I went out and got a 128mb card. Try finding one this size locally. So I went back today with my 128mb card and guess what happened, same error. The third call was almost 2 hours long until I finally got through to a senior tech. He said the card needs to be formatted in vxWorks. I mentioned this feature was grayed out in the toolkit and he said so was his and didn't have an answer for me. He basically said I am screwed until their cards come off of back order; which has no ETA by the way.

That being said, I have more faith in this forum, as always, than what I am hearing from tech support. So I have 2 questions:
    1. Being a first time caller, is it normal to get half a dozen different answers from KM tech support regarding the same problem?
    2. What are the specification of the compact flash cards. Manual says FAT format, tech support says FAT32 or vxWorks.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Technician

I usually put the CF memory card in the PC, run the firmware imaging toolkit, format the card in FAT using the firmware imaging toolkit, load the firmware using the firmware imaging toolkit, plug it into the copier and boot from it.

I use 256MB Sandisk cards as any larger than that won't work with the firmware imaging toolkit.

Other than that you might have a faulty mainboard.

In answer to your first question, Yes sometimes. Due to the different experiences those techs have had.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

once a CF card is formatted "FAT" it typicaly can't be used in a color MFP. The only way around this is to find a hex editor tool and write "0"s to the card. This makes the card "out of the package". When you use the firmware tool kit, part of the process is to install the VXWorks format. One way to determine if the tool has worked correctly is to try to look at it with your laptop after you write the firmware. If it's correct you should get a message "the card must be formatted to continue" or something to that affect. If you can read the card with your laptop after you write to it the previous FAT structure is still on the card. BTW, I've asked a few time why the "VXWorks" format selection is greyed out, but no one seems to have an answer. Emujo

Hi Guys

I´ve been through this situation myself, i got from a friend an already formatted cf card without brand but 256 mb in size, with the nvram clear on it, works as a charm, but my sandisk 256 mb cards dont accept the firmware no matter what, i used the firmware toolkit v 2.5.3 and 2.5.4 but the vxworks frmat is always grayed out, some research told me that this file system is used on the bizhub line not just as file system but the whole OS.
    The question is, how to make this thing works, and wich CF Card should whe use, i cant even write a symple firmware on that.
    Any ideas?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Bizhub c451 firmware update software / procedure

i hate having to mess around with CF cards

just host a FTP server on your tech laptop and use ISW

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

From the manual:

• After the firmware data is written into the compact flash, it becomes the own file
    style that is different from the FAT, and the compact flash that the firmware data is
    written cannot be browsed on the Windows OS.

Though you can't format in vxworks directly, the process of writing data to the card seems to have a similar effect. It might not be formatted in vxworks, but it is at least written in a manner that allows the copier's OS to access it. As mentioned by others: if you can read the card contents on your computer, you are doing something wrong.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Bizhub c451 firmware update software / procedure

I would buy a new card get a san disk shoot and store card (not all cards will work).
    Its on amazon here for 39.00, but can probably find it cheaper.

Never format the card if you want to be successful and dont worry about the option being grayed out in the toolkit. You simply tell it to write to the card and it does everything for you and you can compare the checksums to make sure the files were written correctly.