Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts copyman20's Avatar

Need to format the HDD on a Konica Minolta C552

I need to format the HDD on 2 of these machines at a doctor's office. have not worked on these very often. can someone give me some step by step instruction on how to get this done?

Thank you in advance.

street951

Re: Need to format the HDD on a Konica Minolta C552

in system1 or system2 tab should come the HDD FORMAT option or something

Senior Tech 100+ Posts copyman20's Avatar

Thanks for the link.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I have a customer that after we removed their C552 & C353 machines they wanted the HDDs removed, so I stripped them out & gave them to the customer, so all good.But now I have the machines with missing hard drives, if I simply fit new drives what do I need to do, eg do I need to reload firmware etc? Any advice would be appreciated.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    I have a customer that after we removed their C552 & C353 machines they wanted the HDDs removed, so I stripped them out & gave them to the customer, so all good.But now I have the machines with missing hard drives, if I simply fit new drives what do I need to do, eg do I need to reload firmware etc? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Probably should have started another thread for this one... But anyway.

The HDD's in Konica Minolta devices (as well as pretty much any other device) are simply just an off the shelf HDD. Make sure that when you get an HDD to replace the missing drives, you get a drive that is the same size or larger.

Once the HDD is fitted, do a Logical Format from service mode and then you are done on the C353. On the C552, you will then also need to load on the animation data from a USB drive and using "Install" in System 1 or 2.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

"The HDD's in Konica Minolta devices (as well as pretty much any other device) are simply just an off the shelf HDD."
    Sorry for my ignorance but recent models do not take the regular 3.5 HDD, The new ones take some special ones as I understand.

Make sure that when you get an HDD to replace the missing drives, you get a drive that is the same size or larger.
    Larger sizes tends to give problem but same or almost the same sizes works.

Please share if you have any detail about the type of HDD for newer copiers.
    Sincere Regards for your kind help.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

If I'm not mistaken with new HDD you will need to do the physical format first (can take hours), then do the logical format after

Field Service Technician 250+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlSyed View Post
    "The HDD's in Konica Minolta devices (as well as pretty much any other device) are simply just an off the shelf HDD."

Sorry for my ignorance but recent models do not take the regular 3.5 HDD, The new ones take some special ones as I understand.

Make sure that when you get an HDD to replace the missing drives, you get a drive that is the same size or larger.
    Larger sizes tends to give problem but same or almost the same sizes works.

Please share if you have any detail about the type of HDD for newer copiers.
    Sincere Regards for your kind help.
    This thread is over 6 years old, which is why the information you are quoting seems outdated. It's probably best you start a new thread that would apply to more modern models. I'm sure will get far more responses about modern drives with a subject that doesn't have C552 in it.
    Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year, now a Konica Minolta Service Tech for the last 6 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    This thread is over 6 years old, which is why the information you are quoting seems outdated. It's probably best you start a new thread that would apply to more modern models. I'm sure will get far more responses about modern drives with a subject that doesn't have C552 in it.
    My reply was for more recent Konica Minolta models as well. I've even had to do physical formats first when swapping from one "4" series to another.

Field Service Technician 250+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    My reply was for more recent Konica Minolta models as well. I've even had to do physical formats first when swapping from one "4" series to another.
    I was just letting the other poster know it was an old thread, and they would probably get better advice if they started a new thread with a subject pertaining to newer hardware.

Nothing against you. Your advice was sound, which is why I didn't quote your post. I've experienced the same thing with "4" and "4e" as well. With the more modern copiers I've gotten to the point where, if I'm not at a customer's site, I just do the physical to start with.
    Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year, now a Konica Minolta Service Tech for the last 6 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...