Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Technician

Re: C224e/C284e/C364e/C454e/C545e cyan dev unit problems

In all instances where I have been called out for repeat issues by other techs, I remove the TX belt and all dev units / drums and clean the black mylars that sit above the erase lamps. Replace the faulty dev and toner filter if clogged. Never had one come back on me.

You will also notice abrasion marks along the side of the belt and drums

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    C224e/C284e/C364e/C454e/C545e cyan dev unit problems

Quote Originally Posted by ezzysi View Post
    Thought I'd share this info that was kindly passed on by another tech,

We now fit new, genuine black dev units in all positions on 4 series machines, just remove the lower wiring harness cover from your old colour dev unit (3 screws) and swap the cover and harness onto the new black dev unit (keep the new chip in place to reset the counter).

You'll need about 30-40 cyan sky shots to pull the cyan toner into the new unit, takes 10 minutes start to finish and you've got a brand new genuine Developer unit for about 10% the cost of ordering a colour one.

Works a treat for us, usually do this along side a new Cyan drum (also a converted genuine black unit) and the problem goes away.

Hope this helps someone.
    Hi

I'm interested in trying the black developer in the cyan slot however as the TC/reset chip is one PCB, ideally i would want a new TC/reset chip in the black developer unit incase the chip in the old cyan developer unit is faulty?

What's your thoughts?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Thought I'd share this info that was kindly passed on by another tech,

We now fit new, genuine black dev units in all positions on 4 series machines, just remove the lower wiring harness cover from your old colour dev unit (3 screws) and swap the cover and harness onto the new black dev unit (keep the new chip in place to reset the counter).

You'll need about 30-40 cyan sky shots to pull the cyan toner into the new unit, takes 10 minutes start to finish and you've got a brand new genuine Developer unit for about 10% the cost of ordering a colour one.

Works a treat for us, usually do this along side a new Cyan drum (also a converted genuine black unit) and the problem goes away.

Hope this helps someone.
    Old news but still may help someone. Been talked about on this forum for several years now.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonbonse View Post
    Hi

I'm interested in trying the black developer in the cyan slot however as the TC/reset chip is one PCB, ideally i would want a new TC/reset chip in the black developer unit incase the chip in the old cyan developer unit is faulty?

What's your thoughts?
    You use the new chip from the black unit, it’s only the loom you use from the old cyan so all good 👍🏻

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

You use the new chip from the black unit, it’s only the loom you use from the old cyan so all good 👍🏻

Ah, I see!

Thank you!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Keep in mind that dev unit is not an issue, and replacing it won't solve the problem.
    Lower the TCR for cyan and even magenta to -1, (even -2 for C if not enough).
    Pull out dev C (and M if needed) and vacum all excessive toner usually from both ends.
    Rotate magnet roller backwards until paper dust shows up and vacum it from a distance, making sure yiu don't suck the developer.
    Clean dusty charge corona on drum unit or replace with new if more than 100k - 150k of life.
    Check these and clean belt cleaner and IDC sensors every 30k and you will have situation under control.

From my experience, the problem couldn't be solved at once, you'll have to keep it under control otherwise it will come back sooner than later.
    Overworn drum and especially soiled charge grids on machines with lower toner coverage are causing this issue.
    Why cyan (mainly) and magenta (sometimes).
    Look at State confirmation/table number; cyan has the lowest Vdc of all and cannot hold excessive toner on front and back end of magnet roller which then soil the drum.

After I start to lower TCR value for C to -1 dusting is under control, never had to replace dev unit.

Before that (with TCR C to 0) drums C were heavily soiled with cyan toner.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Long thread.. We are tending to believe the ozone filter in back is not allowing enough flow. Blowing it out with a strong canned air is not as effective as using a compressor at your shop, and how often do you have a FULL can of air? So we're blowing them out at the shop & carrying clean spares to swap in the field. Possibly ozone is building in the charger areas for lack of good circulation and all it takes is an older drum, poor quality toner, old dv, and as has been mentioned, low color usage makes the toner and/or dv break down smaller since no new dv or toner is being introduced. This agrees with why cyan mostly... because its next to the k that is used o long runs and the most ozone accumulation. If KM didn't agree, then why did they rework the whole air circulation in the 8 series? I know there's direct charge rollers now, but the air circulation is better now, not less, even in a reduced ozone/charge internal environment.

Bottom line blow out the ozone filter in back and you'd better do it outside!!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I was thinking too there is something about that ozone filter, that it has something to do with this issue.

I have machines with 500k, 700k 900k without this issue and some with only 130k, also yesterday one with 170k with dev C gone.
    All machines are basicly of the same age, and the only difference is that the machines with larger counter and without problems had ozone filter replaced once (or twice) because it was included in transfer kit.
    For some of them with more than 300k ozone filter is not replaced because KM decided to sold them separately. Ordered kit, received belt and transfer roller.
    That machines have problems, and also machines with lower counter.
    I will try to replace ozone filter on all affected machines on next PM. Some of them (ozone filters) were not soiled with cyan or dust.
    I think that age of ozone filter might be a factor in this issue. I don't think cleaning will be of any help.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
    Long thread.. We are tending to believe the ozone filter in back is not allowing enough flow. Blowing it out with a strong canned air is not as effective as using a compressor at your shop, and how often do you have a FULL can of air? So we're blowing them out at the shop & carrying clean spares to swap in the field. Possibly ozone is building in the charger areas for lack of good circulation and all it takes is an older drum, poor quality toner, old dv, and as has been mentioned, low color usage makes the toner and/or dv break down smaller since no new dv or toner is being introduced. This agrees with why cyan mostly... because its next to the k that is used o long runs and the most ozone accumulation. If KM didn't agree, then why did they rework the whole air circulation in the 8 series? I know there's direct charge rollers now, but the air circulation is better now, not less, even in a reduced ozone/charge internal environment.

Bottom line blow out the ozone filter in back and you'd better do it outside!!!
    We have strongly suspected that the drum units have been the cause of 90 percent of the cyan developer issue. So the ozone issue makes sense, however, the question remains: why is it always cyan?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Boltaction View Post
    We have strongly suspected that the drum units have been the cause of 90 percent of the cyan developer issue. So the ozone issue makes sense, however, the question remains: why is it always cyan?
    Boltaction- Direction of air flow from right (K) to left (C) + it's next to the K which is always in use = More ozone/charge buildup on C than M or Y. That's my guess.
    Regsys- All we can do is wait & see but please take an ozone filter that looks fairly clean to you when held up to a good light and bring it back to the shop & blow it out with a compressor @ 125 PSI or more. Then flip it over and blow it out again. Impressive how much of a cloud came out of a "clean" looking ozone filter! Better be outside because it will shock you what comes out. Rust colored ozone. It's not rust. Let some get on your finger when blowing it out & smell it. Nasty ozone stink like a sewer! Try to wipe it off. It won't come off like rust or toner. Windex takes it off just like it always has cleaned ozone. Also it's not a mixture of colored toners bc the same color comes out of a K only unit.
    We are clearing the OZONE filter counter in service now after cleaning them to track when it's been done.

AGAIN, Handy to carry a clean spare filter or two around because your canned air just ain't gonna do it in the field like a compressor at @ 125 PSI.