Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    C224e/C284e/C364e/C454e/C545e cyan dev unit problems

Re: C224e/C284e/C364e/C454e/C545e cyan dev unit problems

Quote Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
    Boltaction- Direction of air flow from right (K) to left (C) + it's next to the K which is always in use = More ozone/charge buildup on C than M or Y. That's my guess.
    Regsys- All we can do is wait & see but please take an ozone filter that looks fairly clean to you when held up to a good light and bring it back to the shop & blow it out with a compressor @ 125 PSI or more. Then flip it over and blow it out again. Impressive how much of a cloud came out of a "clean" looking ozone filter! Better be outside because it will shock you what comes out. Rust colored ozone. It's not rust. Let some get on your finger when blowing it out & smell it. Nasty ozone stink like a sewer! Try to wipe it off. It won't come off like rust or toner. Windex takes it off just like it always has cleaned ozone. Also it's not a mixture of colored toners bc the same color comes out of a K only unit.
    We are clearing the OZONE filter counter in service now after cleaning them to track when it's been done.

AGAIN, Handy to carry a clean spare filter or two around because your canned air just ain't gonna do it in the field like a compressor at @ 125 PSI.
    These work pretty good out in the field as well on filters. Has also fixed many mystery paper jams in the document scanners as well. Although, nothing beats a good tear down and cleaning.

Amazon.com: XPOWER A-2 Airrow Pro Multi-Use Electric Computer Duster Dryer Air Pump Blower - Blue : Electronics

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ezzysi View Post
    Thought I'd share this info that was kindly passed on by another tech,

We now fit new, genuine black dev units in all positions on 4 series machines, just remove the lower wiring harness cover from your old colour dev unit (3 screws) and swap the cover and harness onto the new black dev unit (keep the new chip in place to reset the counter).

You'll need about 30-40 cyan sky shots to pull the cyan toner into the new unit, takes 10 minutes start to finish and you've got a brand new genuine Developer unit for about 10% the cost of ordering a colour one.

Works a treat for us, usually do this along side a new Cyan drum (also a converted genuine black unit) and the problem goes away.

Hope this helps someone.

thank you for that info, i used that a lot and works. but how about 8 series machines? i have searched all forum, didnt find anything. i am 99% sure that will work, but is there anyone done it?

Just to add my funny experience with this C454e with 28K counters only.
    It all started with aftermarket toners and the machines was like MAD. The customer contacted couple of service providers with no positive result but machine got in more deteriorated condition. At last someone referred machine to my workshop. The machine was throwing code 5603 on arrival. Cyan developer was pouring out and other DV units, drums and even ITB were in very bad shape. Fixed all dev units, replaced drums and 5603 was gone..... wasted some time to trouble shoot 5603 for bad strip cable and PH unit and FRCB and bla abla bla (even consulted this thread for . The I simply disconnected HV board control connectors from PRCB and 5603 was gone. So the figured out that either one of the drum unit or DV unit is bad. Cyan was the culprit. After all that machine was fine to go and delivered to customer. Customer was provided with OEM toners, after couple of days customer called back saying that his Magenta toner is going down way too fast with very prints as usual. Upon inspection found Magenta toner scattering inside machine. Machine was called back in workshop. The Magenta level history was going down and down, and dropped to zero while manually feeding toner... all the toner was going directly to waste...... Scratched my head for 2 more days. Replaced HV board to no avail..... and now the climax..... swapped Cyan drum with Magenta AND EVERYTHING SETTLED DOWN.......... can any one explain this. The machine has left workshop after through inspection but couldn't figure out what exactly GOOD happened.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

On all 4e machines... Bring an ozone filter with you that youve blown out with a compressor, not just canned air, or replace it. Charge builds up, especially on Cyan unit due to its location. Verify no toner is coating the dv mag. rollers when dv is removed. Usually residue from bad toner or drywall construction dust can stain the mag roller. If an oem drum gets burnished by dv pull friction, it can pull out dv quickly. I had one with only slight visible wear at the rear of drum & it would pull developer from any color dv unit I slid it into. Only had 10k on that oem drum. Any problem on ony color or black dv or drum can affect other units. So far, Katun K drums (chipped for ymc as needed) are the only drums we're having good luck with when OEM isnt available. Copylite toner is all we use. Thousands of tubes. No problem.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Sorry to bring up an old thread but thought I would ask.... Can I use the black developer unit in the colour slots in the c458 like you can in the c224e?

Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonbonse View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but thought I would ask.... Can I use the black developer unit in the colour slots in the c458 like you can in the c224e?

Thanks
    We've looked at the DV619k and DV512k side by side. Of course you would change the color rail, but they look like the end block just needs to be cut/shaved off to fit.
    NOIW IT GETS INTERESTING. Depending on your knowledge of the CMY 8 series front drum end cap vs K end cap, you notice the front dv bearing difference in cmy vs k. Our theory is if you install a K dv, you could install a k drum, with no modification to the k drum front end cap. We've yet to test it, but if you don't know about the cmy front drum end caps, you need to... Improper spacing can get you weak solids with too much gap and much worse, pull dv off the mag rollers with too little gap toward the front side. No time today to get more specific, just wanted to put that warning out there in case someone says sure go ahead! Look deeper!

One other answer might be, yes, you could pour in/exchange the k developer/carrier itself into a used unit if that unit is in good shape. Say if it lost some dv., or was contaminated...
    This conversation needs it's own thread... IDK how to point people from here to there.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

We've looked at the DV619k and DV512k side by side. Of course you would change the color rail, but they look like the end block just needs to be cut/shaved off to fit.
    NOIW IT GETS INTERESTING. Depending on your knowledge of the CMY 8 series front drum end cap vs K end cap, you notice the front dv bearing difference in cmy vs k. Our theory is if you install a K dv, you could install a k drum, with no modification to the k drum front end cap. We've yet to test it, but if you don't know about the cmy front drum end caps, you need to... Improper spacing can get you weak solids with too much gap and much worse, pull dv off the mag rollers with too little gap toward the front side. No time today to get more specific, just wanted to put that warning out there in case someone says sure go ahead! Look deeper!

One other answer might be, yes, you could pour in/exchange the k developer/carrier itself into a used unit if that unit is in good shape. Say if it lost some dv., or was contaminated...
    This conversation needs it's own thread... IDK how to point people from here to there.

Thank you

My idea was to use the DV619K dev in all colour slots in the 8 series like we do with the 4 series.....rather than using DV512k devs in the 8 series......then run full bleed to deplete the black toner so it pulls in which ever colour slot it is in....

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

That's real real brainstorming here, I'm gonna try and have a look the next time we do refurb a Cxx8

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

This is very good theory, thanks for the tip.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

NOIW IT GETS INTERESTING. Depending on your knowledge of the CMY 8 series front drum end cap vs K end cap, you notice the front dv bearing difference in cmy vs k. Our theory is if you install a K dv, you could install a k drum, with no modification to the k drum front end cap.
    That is a very logical theory considering:
    * DV-K and DR-K phisicaly fit instead color ones, and
    * HV contactas are in the same position for black and color DV & DR.

Worth a try!