Thread: TWAIN Scanning

TWAIN Scanning

Good day all
    It’s been a while since my last visit….

A quick question though. If a customer has a M2535MFP and uses scan via USB cable only (as some banking apps in SA requires Twain only scanning) and the free to download PaperPort v.11 is not compatible with their Windows 8 or 10. What other scanning software would you recommend?
    The PaperPort in this instance only runs in the background to facilitate the Twain scan and the banking app uses the default settings and drivers as setup in PaperPort.

Any suggestions please
    Regards
    The product may be brilliant and the salesperson proficient, but if the technician isn’t efficient, then the story will end there.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    TWAIN Scanning

Re: TWAIN Scanning

If the banking app you refer to requires a twain scan then you need to set the banking app to use the Kyo Twain driver. Adding Paperport in between the scanner and the banking app is only adding to your problems. Twain was designed to import scanned documents/images into a program, not to go through a third program. I would have to look at the banking app first and set it to use the Kyo twain driver/scanner.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    If the banking app you refer to requires a twain scan then you need to set the banking app to use the Kyo Twain driver. Adding Paperport in between the scanner and the banking app is only adding to your problems. Twain was designed to import scanned documents/images into a program, not to go through a third program. I would have to look at the banking app first and set it to use the Kyo twain driver/scanner.
    Actually, PaperPort (if that is the same program I used for years) is a destination for scans from twain. Works pretty well, too, it's insanely easy to twain scan to or fax from an incredibly diverse list of scanners, it lets scans be organized in a folder system like the directory system in Windows, allows some minor image editing and OCR, and makes changing graphic file formats no problem (like from TIFF to JPG or from JPG to PDF).
    I think you're on the right track though. For what it is worth, I've found that the legal free version of PaperPort hasn't been available for quite a while, and the initial format of its scans are incompatible with anything else. And the older versions of PaperPort don't work with the newer versions of Windows even a little bit. I lost a couple of gigs of personal scans because I wasn't updating it anymore in Win 8 and 10. D'oh.
    In case it would be helpful, here's the current PaperPort website:
    PaperPort - Document Management Software | Nuance

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

A TWAIN Driver Requires Host software. TWAIN is a "pull scan" scheme initiated from the users pc.
    It sounds like the banking software only accesses the scanned files in a commonly accessed folder.
    If you want *free* TWAIN scanner host software that runs on windoze, look at this!:

NAPS2 - Scan documents to PDF and other file types, as simply as possible.

Dead simple to setup and use!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Thank you all.

The problem with just normal twain scanning is that it pulls all the documents to the PC as single image files. Imagine attaching a 30 page document...
    I found NAPS not so simple to setup on my own PC as it had a problem to connect to my in-house (Kyocera) device. I think I still prefer Scansoft Paperport.

The banking app only uses the default settings (dpi,colour,mono,paper size,feed method...) as setup in Paperport to scan multiple documents to a single destination. I have set this up at other customers, using similar app's with great success.

I just thought there might be another free program with similar features that I can suggest to customers.

Thanks anyway, much appreciated
    The product may be brilliant and the salesperson proficient, but if the technician isn’t efficient, then the story will end there.

Technician

use NITRO PDF

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

There's a bit of a learning curve, but after that Libreoffice works well for twain scans.