Senior Tech 100+ Posts giddyupngo's Avatar

Thumbs up 3500i Cassette / Tray Paper Size detection Wrong

Hi, resolved a tough call, thought I would share a few of the unusual things I found.
    Paper size would not register correctly in the trays. Was "flaky" with bouncing between paper sizes detected. I manually set the paper tray settings to a specific size/orientation for each tray, but it would still internally detect the paper size, and if it detected wrong it would say "add paper".

Part of the problem was the machine was set to "Auto Metric", so it was only detecting metric sizes. After switching back to Auto inch, it would still register Letter size as statement some of the time. Both trays 1 and 2 are doing this, so I ordered 2 new arms per bulletin B287-2LC-0023, as well as the two springs, two rear cursors (paper stops) were both broken (lifted up out of slot), two stickers for the two rear cursors, and a new tray 1 (broken on left rail side). Replaced all parts, still having problems with size detection on both trays. One drawer didn't shut, one of the "clips" was not seated when I put it back together so it was sticking up too high. Another problem was missing screws in the plate under the paper that holds down the rear cursor tight. This affects the height of the "arm" sticking out the back.

Last thing was that in Tray 2, the Side cursor/paper stop was installed backward, so all the horizontal readings of the side cursor were off. Tested OK after that. The two arms and springs seemed OK, probably didn't need replacement.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    3500i Cassette / Tray Paper Size detection Wrong

Re: 3500i Cassette / Tray Paper Size detection Wrong

Congratulations on your success. Usually it's just that the rear paper guide raises, because that little feature breaks off. Until you can get the replacement, a simple expedient for 11" wide paper is to make yourself a 5.5mm diameter coil of SPC (small paper clip wire). press this coil down onto the post that the size lever rides on to hold the lever all the way down, thus always 11" wide. I think I might have a photo ...

AlphardII tray paper size1.jpgAlphardII tray paper size2.JPG

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Or just lock the guides down with a couple of screws and set the trays to manual. Rarely do the clients change paper sizes once installed.
    Have you seen the new A3 colour range? Rear guides are STEEL! Try breaking that Mr Teacher/Lawyer/Office girl!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

This is a common issue for us on the Alphard I and II series even for customers that don't change paper size at all but just have high volume out of a particular cassette. We just swap out the cursor or turn off auto-size detection.

I'm pretty sure it's simply endusers hastily throwing fresh reams into the cassette and the rear cursor absorbing the brunt of that weight each time. I'm glad Kyocera has finally stopped skimping on cassette build quality.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Ropariva's Avatar

Yep. Your spot on. Load her up and slam it shut! Did I also mention "soft close" on all the drawers of the new generation. Just like in a high end kitchen. Bet the salesmen love demonstrating that little feature. Btw, the cassette guides are a problem shared across a few brands3500i Cassette / Tray Paper Size detection Wrong Seems like they have thought long and hard about making a good reliable MFD.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Just remember if the tray is used for fax paper, it must be set to auto/inch

Senior Tech 100+ Posts giddyupngo's Avatar

Thanks everyone, and thanks black cat for the pics. SPC, I love it!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    3500i Cassette / Tray Paper Size detection Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerkiller View Post
    Just remember if the tray is used for fax paper, it must be set to auto/inch
    Just to reiterate what tonerkiller said, hard setting the paper trays is a bad idea for a bunch of reasons. If some creative person changes the paper guides for a different orientation/size paper you'll get paper size mismatches. If you've got a fax, receptions will not print onto a tray that is hard set. You'll get "Add Paper" indications, even when the correct paper size orientation and weight are loaded. Kyoceras seem to function better on Auto paper size detection. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=