Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F248

Technician

F248

I see this code in the event log on virtually every machine i go to.

One TA6052ci i went to had the code every time they printed a page from windows explorer but just certain web pages , I then tried printing the web page in chrome browser and it worked fine .

So after checking Fw & updating machine as per Service Bulletin (SB 2ND-0023(G221) F248 printing certain files ) this made no difference at all.

I did however find the only way to get everything printing OK was to untick Advanced Printing Features in the advanced tab under Printer Properties on the Driver KX702415 on the Server.

I wish Kyocera would make this unticked by default when installing the driver as i think this would solve a lot of intermittent errors especially if the customer is using PaperCut or other print management solution . I have also had this solve a lot of problems printing to custom box as well.

I am no IT Geek and don't understand the implications of unticking this feature as this seems to have no adverse effect on anything else and their IT Dept were happy to try it.

I have found a couple of links which explains it a bit better

https://www.papercut.com/kb/Main/Ena...intingFeatures

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...n-windows-2000

I will now be unticking this option on all future Printer installs

So hopefully we shouldn't be getting as many calls For F248

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    F248

Re: F248

This may shed a little more light ....

Enable Advanced Printing Features - Steve's Digicams

Thanks for the heads-up.

Technician

Thanks

That explains it far better than i ever could lol

Again

Cheers

F248

Your post is the first I've heard mention of this as a solution. Maybe this will help with a customer we have that has several machines connected to print through a server with no onsite IT.

Every time they start getting F248 codes they call us. We can't tell who sent the print job and we can't delete the job from the queue because no one on site has Admin rights.
    We have to place a call to IT and wait until we get someone on the line so we can explain what they need to do from their end.

I'm going to try and get these instruction forwarded to the right person in their IT dept and see about reducing these errors. So for sure thanks for the suggestion.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts The_Murph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mossup View Post

I will now be unticking this option on all future Printer installs

So hopefully we shouldn't be getting as many calls For F248

Be aware that by doing this as your default setup plan, you will undoubtably get clients calling about "slow printing." I have had clients with anywhere from 45 seconds in between printed pages up to several minutes. It really depends on how prominent of a problem it is. I look at it like silent mode, some clients appreciate the quiet more, however the majority of my clients prefer immediate copier response. Be wary of wishes made on the monkey paw, the unintended consequences can be painful.
    If you phrase your inquiry properly, you will get the answers you seek...

Good Luck ... You'll need it! HAHAHA!

~Big Dan~

Technician

Yes i agree

I see in the article Darry1 kindly put and it did mention slow printing , If customers have slow printing they are likely to contact their IT dept , whereas if they have an error code on the device they will contact us and expect us to fix it when we know it is not a hardware issue.

I know this can also fix the mobility print issues on PaperCut ver 17.0 where the job would not release from the virtual print queue when printing from mobile devices.

I have had more calls from issues with print jobs stuck in print queues & Error Codes F248 245 369 345 etc than customers complaining of slow printing.

It may cause other issues that have not come to light as yet,but am more than willing to take a chance

F248

Quote Originally Posted by mossup View Post
    Yes i agree

I see in the article Darry1 kindly put and it did mention slow printing , If customers have slow printing they are likely to contact their IT dept , whereas if they have an error code on the device they will contact us and expect us to fix it when we know it is not a hardware issue.

I know this can also fix the mobility print issues on PaperCut ver 17.0 where the job would not release from the virtual print queue when printing from mobile devices.

I have had more calls from issues with print jobs stuck in print queues & Error Codes F248 245 369 345 etc than customers complaining of slow printing.

It may cause other issues that have not come to light as yet,but am more than willing to take a chance
    The easiest way to avoid calls for an F248 code [bad print job] is to simply turn on the auto error clear on the unit. With this turned on the bad print job is automatically cleared from the queue after 30 seconds which I believe is the default. The F248 code is typically thrown by malformed or virus infected web pages. Turning on the auto error clear can be done from the control panel or via the web interface and we have walked users through the setup over the phone to eliminate a service call. Without the auto error clear turned on the offending print job will just constantly be resent by the print queue on the computer or print server, so clearing it from the unit does not resolve the issue. It also eliminates the need to "find" which user is sending the bad print job as they will report that they cannot print a page rather quickly and you can determine the offending web page.

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    The easiest way to avoid calls for an F248 code [bad print job] is to simply turn on the auto error clear on the unit. With this turned on the bad print job is automatically cleared from the queue after 30 seconds which I believe is the default. The F248 code is typically thrown by malformed or virus infected web pages. Turning on the auto error clear can be done from the control panel or via the web interface and we have walked users through the setup over the phone to eliminate a service call. Without the auto error clear turned on the offending print job will just constantly be resent by the print queue on the computer or print server, so clearing it from the unit does not resolve the issue. It also eliminates the need to "find" which user is sending the bad print job as they will report that they cannot print a page rather quickly and you can determine the offending web page.
    Agree with this. The auto error clear is a blessing. At least if the costumer is not waiting on a call out etc and also it doesn't interfere with any other end user trying to print.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technician

Thanks Guys

I think i found the setting under Device Setting then System on the command centre

Just to Clarify its Auto Error Clear, just that there is also Error Job Skip would this need to be turned on as well?

Suppose it wouldn't hurt having both on

Hi also make sure you have latest Firmware, I have updated and it cuts down on this issue significantly.